Arma 3 Developers Talk AI Ahead of March Alpha

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Arma 3 Developers Talk AI Ahead of March Alpha

"We've given ourselves some quite big challenges," says Bohemia Interactive's Jay Crowe.

Arma 3 is about to get an Alpha build launch, which its developers Bohemia Interactive want to get into players' hands as soon as possible. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122388-Arma-3-Will-Get-a-Free-Alpha] That's due to happen very soon, and Bohemia's been talking about what Co-Creative Director Jay Crowe describes as its "quite big challenges" as it builds towards Alpha launch.

One of its biggest challenges is integrating its AI. "New functionality means we need to train our AI to do more things," says Project Lead Joris-Jan van 't Land. "We try to refrain from trickery and simulate AI behavior in all aspects; letting them walk around, engage in infantry combat, fly gunships, drive boats and do many of the things players do." This will get all the more complicated in Arma 3, since it will be introducing underwater combat, minefields, and rifle-mounted grenade launchers, among other things, and AI is often foozled by complex game elements.

Task Force Balance, according to van 't Land, has been one of the key issues. The Task Force Balance team has been working on finding the sweet spot in which authenticity, realism and fun work together to create a balanced whole. "Their [the Task Force Balance team] initial focus has been on the regular infantry squad and their weapons, and now they are moving on to specialized weapons and vehicles," says van 't Land. "We want to be able to proudly show off our advanced AI by making sure it's properly configured." There's still a long way to go - this is only the alpha, after all - but Bohemia's feeling reasonably confident that it's headed in the right direction.

Arma 3, Bohemia Interactive's military shooter set in a fictionalized Greece, recently hit the headlines when were later bailed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119660-Day-Z-Creator-Rallies-Internet-to-Save-Bohemia-Spies], and are now back working for Bohemia. "There was really no stopping either of them," says Crowe. "I think Ivan [Buchta] could probably still work with a newborn baby under each arm, a beer in his lifting-hand, and a keyboard in the other."

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/02/arma-3-interview-arma-3-alpha/]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I would like the AI to be somewhat customised, at least in their proficiency. The AI in the previous games could be a pain to deal with sometimes and all infantry combat would become a "spot the pixel" kind of thing with the combat taking place between huge distances. I would like to have that realistic top notch AI but also be able to play with a more forgiving AI from time to time.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Finally! My Turkish Greece Invasion Simulator is complete! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Just remembered that Iran has apparently taken over half of the Middle East in ARMA III...is it ludicrous? It feels ludicrous to me. Ah well, I'm still going to get it, it looks fun.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
josemlopes said:
I would like the AI to be somewhat customised, at least in their proficiency. The AI in the previous games could be a pain to deal with sometimes and all infantry combat would become a "spot the pixel" kind of thing with the combat taking place between huge distances. I would like to have that realistic top notch AI but also be able to play with a more forgiving AI from time to time.
Yeah, I can't have any fun playing against AI in ArmA 2. Staying hidden seems impossible, and when all it takes is one bullet to incapacitate you, their accuracy is unforgiving.
It's sad that I haven't played a game that topped F.E.A.R.'s AI to this day. They were fun and challenging without being bullet sponges or super lethal. I suppose you shouldn't compare that kind of AI to something as advanced as ArmA though.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Froggy Slayer said:
Just remembered that Iran has apparently taken over half of the Middle East in ARMA III...is it ludicrous? It feels ludicrous to me. Ah well, I'm still going to get it, it looks fun.
Well 24 years ago the idea of the Soviet Union disbanding, The USA attacking Iraq, a genocidal war in the Balkans breaking out, The World Trade Center being destroyed and then The USA attacking Afghanistan as a retaliation and then attacking Iraq again and then getting their first black president and mass revolts in the Arab world breaking out would have been thought of as batshit insane.
The world can change allot in 23 years.