Paramount Hopes To Please Gamers With Authentic Star Trek

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Paramount Hopes To Please Gamers With Authentic Star Trek

Paramount's Brian Miller wants you to know how close to the movies its latest Star Trek game is.

"Our goal was to make the most authentic Star Trek game we could," says Paramount's Brian Miller, and he's hoping that Paramount's attention to detail - especially its audio and visuals - will make its video game adaptation of Star Trek [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122461-See-Kirk-Spock-and-Gorn-Star-Trek-The-Video-Game-Screens] come alive. One of the benefits of being the guys who make the movie is, if you want the stars of the movie to provide the character voices and the award-winning music director to put in new background tunes, you can get pretty much exactly what you want.

"When you hear Kirk, and Spock, Uhura, and Scotty," says Miller, "you're hearing Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Simon Pegg." The environments, characters, setting and equipment have been designed to be as faithful to the movies as possible; Miller wants people to think of this as being just as good as the movies.

At the same time, there's a pitfall Miller knows Paramount needs to avoid. "There's a lot of stigma to movie-based games and there have been some that have done it well," says Miller, "but the majority haven't lived up to expectations, and that was something that we've been cautious of since the day we started making this game." Miller's seen what damage bad movie/game adaptations like Aliens: Colonial Marines can do, and he's hopeful that Paramount has managed to avoid that kind of disaster. Paramount gave itself enough time to do the job, he believes, and is working with the best partners, Namco Bandai and Digital Extremes.

"Most importantly," Miller concludes, "we wanted to make sure the same people that brought the film to life, those same minds were working on that game as well." Whether or not it paid off is something you'll get to find out later this year. This one's a PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 title, due to launch April 23rd.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-04-why-star-trek-wont-be-another-aliens-colonial-marines]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If they wanted to please gamers, they should be making the games less like the movies.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Come to think of it, I can't recall a single good game based off of a movie.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Several movie-games have authentic voice acting. That didn't make them good.
Several movie-games have attention to detail in setting. That definitely didn't make them good.

If you want to break the trend of bad movie-games, break the trend of what makes them bad...

Fasckira said:
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was good.
Batman: Arkham Asylum was good.

What made them good was that they weren't based on the movies at all. They just rode the hype slightly and exploded once people realized they were good.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
They wanted to make an authentic Star Trek game but they're basing it on the movie? That's like making an authentic Batman movie but basing it on this guy.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
the antithesis said:
Oh god what the fuck is that thing seriously.

Fasckira said:
Spiderman 2. Shit was so cash.

But yeah this is going to be bad. Betting my chips now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
the antithesis said:
They wanted to make an authentic Star Trek game but they're basing it on the movie? That's like making an authentic Batman movie but basing it on this guy.

I have no idea who he is, but I'll take four copies!

Anyway, guys, basing it off the movie IS an authentic Star Trek experience. And, given it was licensed as a movie tie-in, the only one that makes sense.

Now, will there be a minigame where I can sex up green skinned women? We could call it "Hot Romulan Ale."

[sub]No, I will not make an Earl Grey joke for a Kirk-era game.[/sub]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well, duh. It's a cash-in. It still doesn't mean the game will be any good. It looks like a generic cheap third person shooter.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, it's pretty authentic to the movie's previews at least. There is literally only blue and orange in that picture. But where's the lens flair? It can't be an authentic Abrams movie without ridiculous lens flair.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Mcoffey said:
Basing anything off of Abrams flick and calling it Authentic Star Trek is like buying RC Cola and calling it Authentic Pepsi.
I like your analogy better, but I would say generic store brand cola instead of RC. RC Cola is a brand, at least, with it's own distinct flavor.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Rogue 09 said:
Also: Star Trek is only supposed to be minimally about phaser fights. This game should have been a space sim with some shooter elements.
OK that made me giggle. Star trek is as much about phaser fights as it is with space combat ie kinda. They're both there and you can certainly find episodes/movies to back it up but war/combat etc was only ever a minor part of the series (one Gene generally disliked for what that's worth). A stronger case could probably be made for exploration, diplomacy, or similar elements over combat but we won't see much of an emphasis on those in games at this time.

I'm at least cautiously optimistic we'll get a slightly above average mediocre shooter out of this that will at least be better then most of the rushed tie in games that get released but we'll see.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Did these guys even ask themselves why someone would pay $60 for their game if they can play STO for free instead? Don't they know how freakin' awesome their game has to be in order to be attractive to Star Trek fans? So far everything we've seen was bland and uninspired.

Like the movies. So I guess he's right in a way. Just not in a good way.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
what amazes me, is they are pushing it's "authenticity to the movie" The voice acting, the music, the visuals (does that mean we are getting tons of overwelming lens flare? Cause I just can't get enough of that?). Oddly nowhere mentioned is Gameplay, Story, imersive game mechanics, etc.

Ya know this story juxtaposes disturbingly well with today's Jim Sterling video.