Fighting is Magic Rebounds Thanks To MLP Producer

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Fighting is Magic Rebounds Thanks To MLP Producer

My Little Pony producer resurrects fan-made fighting game, sans copyright infringement.

[a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111190-My-Little-Ponies-Throw-Down-in-Fan-Made-Fighter]Fighting is Magic[/a] was a fun little fan project that put My Little Pony characters in a ring and let them beat the horse apples out of each other. The game was developed by a group called Mane6 for a number of years, until Hasbro hefted their scepter and issued a [a href=http://www.mane6.com/2013/02/not-all-wonder-is-endless.html]cease and desist[/a] last month. Now Lauren Faust, a former producer of the show, has stepped in to help out the indie devs. With her help, Mane6 will keep their game alive, but at the cost of using actual MLP characters.

While the Hasbro order has stopped them from working on or distributing their game as it stands, that only applies while it still contains Hasbro characters. Mane6 can keep developing Fighting is Magic as long as they make an original roster of fighters. That might seem contrary to the point of the project, but Mane6 and their fans have enough faith in the game that they're plunging ahead with a whole new list of characters, with help from Faust.

As Mane6 explains it: "It will be all new characters in a new setting, while keeping the moves, mechanics, and style of the game we wanted to make from the start. This means a lot of work for us, and a bunch of new challenges, but we're excited about the possibilities that come along with them."

Meanwhile, Faust seems pretty excited to be involved: "I'm so super psyched to be a part of this! I hope I can do my little part to help Mane6 finish up this game in a way that stays true to the spirit of the original - but in a way that can freely be shared! I hope you like what we come up with."

The news comes at a good time, as Fighting is Magic was picked to be featured in EVO2K13, a national fighting game championship in Las Vegas. It [a href=http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/01/evo-2013-charity-drive-raises-over-200-000-smash-bros-melee-f/]ranked 4th[/a] in voting, beating out AAA titles like Guilty Gear XX and Dead or Alive 5. While a compromise with Hasbro never came to fruition, obtaining the active participation of a the show's staff is the next best thing.

Source: [a href=http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/m6v2.html#more]Mane6[/a]

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
God bucking speed, Mane6.
From what I've heard, the /mlp/ board in 4chan's trying to finish up the original game using a leaked download. Someone's going to mod it eventually, so I won't worry that much about the removal of ponies from the mod.
If we're lucky, we'll get two free fighting games; one with ponies and one with brand new characters by Lauren Faust.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
PunkRex said:
Good ol'Faust, and peeps wonder why so many consider her God tier.
She is pretty much my favorite cartoonist ever. I don't really follow MLP too much but the way she has acted towards fans of the show has been nothing short of amazing.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I wish more people with power were like Lauren. The world would be a much better place. At least we still get our fighting game though.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
A. Yeah Faust didn't really do much besides supporting their project, this was always an option with or without her support.

B. Lauren Faust is awesome. I think that needs to be repeated every once in a while so everyone knows.

C. CALLED IT! Of course they aren't going to scrap the project, they can just reskin it and keep going. Why waste all that work when the solution is to empty your asset folder and make new art?

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
I am really quite psyched about this. I'm eager to find out what Faust and Mane6 come up with for characters and setting. Whatever it may be, I'm behind it (for what that's worth). I'm still fully behind cute colorful animals as characters in a fighting game, though.

I almost wonder if Faust's Galaxy Girls might make an appearance. That would be neat. Doubt it, but neat.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Twilight_guy said:
A. Yeah Faust didn't really do much besides supporting their project, this was always an option with or without her support.

B. Lauren Faust is awesome. I think that needs to be repeated every once in a while so everyone knows.

C. CALLED IT! Of course they aren't going to scrap the project, they can just reskin it and keep going. Why waste all that work when the solution is to empty your asset folder and make new art?
She plans to create the design for the new characters actually. She might also create the designs for the stages as well, but no word on that.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Ldude893 said:
God bucking speed, Mane6.
From what I've heard, the /mlp/ board in 4chan's trying to finish up the original game using a leaked download. Someone's going to mod it eventually, so I won't worry that much about the removal of ponies from the mod.
If we're lucky, we'll get two free fighting games; one with ponies and one with brand new characters by Lauren Faust.
*Runs to the lab to run a series of tests and discuss with my peers*.

If that were to happen. We can't lose! Win, win baby!

So awesome that this isn't gona be thrown away! This has been the longest running fandom project and it would be a travesty to just have the years of work lost. Gona be so awesome when it's done, Faust ponies abound!
Faust working with them is cool to, she'll make some cool designs for the re-skins and all shall be well.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
If Hasbro had half a brain they'd have gotten behind this and published it. Imagine the sheer amount of money that bronies would have thrown at this to play it. While I have no interest personally, I still think Hasbro done goofed.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
shintakie10 said:
Twilight_guy said:

She plans to create the design for the new characters actually. She might also create the designs for the stages as well, but no word on that.
Yeah and that has nothing to do with the game being made or not. They are reskining it. That's the solution, regardless of support form anyone outside the project. It's nice that Faust is doing character concepts for them but that's only tangential to the important point of making the game viable.

It's also basically celebrity support since she's doing the exact same work that the artist could have done themselves. Nothing Faust is doing is something that could not have been accomplished without her. Thus statement A.

ursaclaire

Jul 8, 2012
Just "a producer"? Isn't that underselling her role just a little bit? She designed all f the characters, their personalities, the setting... She is the primary creative force behind FiM, to simply call her "a producer" and leave it at that seems odd.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I ain't even read this yet but all I can do is...

Sorry, I've been watching a lot of ContinueShow

Jopoho

Nov 17, 2009
It doesn't really effect me in any way, since I'm not really fond of fighting games, but I'm glad I live in a world where stuff like this happens.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Thank goodness. Its things like this that are just, well, awesome. This is why Lauren Faust is amazing, its going to be so much better now.

Can't wait to play it. Gonna make me Smile-Smile-Smile...

... I'll get my coat...