Gears of War: Judgment Features Unlockable Campaign

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Gears of War: Judgment Features Unlockable Campaign

Curb-stomp enough Grubs in the main storyline, and you'll be treated to another series of events featuring Baird and Cole.

Gears of War: Judgment is yet to be released to the masses, but it looks like that there's already some unlockable content ready for players who complete the single-player campaign with enough style points. The "Aftermath" campaign is included in the upcoming title, and it reveals Baird and Cole's journey in the closing moments of Gears of War 3.

Gaining access to the campaign won't be quite as easy as handing over your credit card details, though. Players will need to unlock stars in Judgment's core campaign, which are awarded for actions such as pulling off enough head shots, performing executions, and completing levels without needing to be revived. You can earn stars at a faster rate if you choose to complete "Declassified" missions, which are harder versions of the standard "Classified" challenges.

Epic's lead level designer Jim Brown stated that the team wanted to produce something that added context to the game and also tied the events back to the main trilogy. "So you'll see when you go in there some people you recognize, some places, maybe even some enemies and then see how the two storylines weave together in the context of the whole franchise.

"Obviously we don't want to give away too many spoilers in how it's going to end or what you're going to see," he continues. "But the basic gist of it is that when they're at the fort, Marcus sends Baird and Cole off to find supplies and reinforcements, and then he goes off to Azura. Then at the very end they show up with helicopters. This (Aftermath) is where they went and what they did on that mission."

It appears that Aftermath will only last for a couple of hours [http://kotaku.com/5988318/gears-of-war-judgement-isnt-all-prequel-after-all], but it looks like a pretty neat incentive to give the campaign another shot. Gears of War: Judgment is set for release on March 19th.

Source: Official Xbox Magazine [http://www.oxm.co.uk/50785/gears-of-war-judgments-unlockable-second-campaign-revealed/]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
...wait, what?
A triple A game with substantial unlockables?

What mad fuckery is going on here and how do we make sure it continues?!

nymz

Apr 1, 2010
Unlockable content? What the hell? Don't companies exist to make money?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
A game rewarding you for playing it well and its standard... HOW BOUT THAT SHIT!!!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
All I can say is "nice, exactly what we wanted". Or at least, what GoW-Players should have wanted as I am not one of them. :p

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Free unlockable content to give your game longevity? What a quaint notion. Look everyone, Epic think's it's 2002!

All joking aside, I might buy this just to support the whole free content ideal.

BandicootPower

Jun 14, 2012
Say whaa?! I get rewarded for playing the game well and not for forking out my dosh? Top! This has definitely won my attention back to the franchise.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...hey I just thought of something, what happened to that Fortnite game that Epic was supposed to be making?

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
...wait, what?
A triple A game with substantial unlockables?

What mad fuckery is going on here and how do we make sure it continues?!
I love that they kept to the "honesty" path... But I'm pissed, I'm sure I'm not gonna get the extra campaign cause I won't be kicking enough ass, I wish they actually make it available through buying or cheating at least hahaha

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Does it make no sense to anyone else that the declassified missions are harder than the classified ones?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Unlocking more content by playing it well? i dont have to pay? i wasnt that interested in this but i may give it a bit of a look.