Finally, Snoop Dogg Has His Own Fighting Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Finally, Snoop Dogg Has His Own Fighting Game

Apparently unsatisified by having his own stage in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and a song on the soundtrack, Snoop Dogg has teamed with Echo Peak and 505 Games to develop his own fighting game.

Dubbed Way of the Dogg, the newly-announced title is planned for release on the PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade and mobile gaming platforms (read: iOS and Android). An official release date for the game has yet to be determined, but it should appear at roughly the same time as two of Snoop's other projects: his next album (entitled Reincarnated) which drops on April 23, and a film of the same name which is slated to appear on March 15.

As for what exactly a Snoop Dogg-themed fighting game might entail, well, it's kind of confusing, to be perfectly honest. This morning's announcement describes Way of the Dogg as a "rhythm-action combat game" and states that it is "inspired and soundtracked by the music that defined a genre and a generation." So, music is a big component of the game then. Fair enough.

The next description of the title makes it seem like music is the sole focus of Way of the Dogg. That while described as a "fighting game" Way of the Dogg is actually a rhythm title that just happens to feature imagery of Snoop punching dudes in the eye while you time your button presses to correspond to on-screen prompts.

"Way of the Dogg combines Snoop Dogg's passion for Kung Fu movies and his chart-topping, global hits with Echo Peak's expertise in music gaming to create a truly unique rhythm-action, beat-matching combat experience," the announcement states. "Each level is a fresh fight against a different style of character, in a new location, defined by a Snoop track that drives the beat of the combat."

Well, that's a bit disappointing, but surely developer Echo Peak has a clear, interesting premise on which to create the game, right? Actually no. Not so much. In describing his title, director Ciaran Walsh repeatedly reiterates that this game is based on Snoop's affection for fighting games, kung fu flicks and cinematic Blaxploitation. Thus, we expect lots of jive, inexplicably kind-hearted pimps, and an overarching sense that The Man is trying to oppress our protagonist. How that sort of narrative is supposed to function alongside a rhythm game is anyone's guess.

Ah, but we haven't yet heard from the most important member of this game's production team: Snoop himself. As always, his words are entertaining, lyrical and likely slathered in Tetrahydrocannabinol.

"Everyone knows that Snoop is down with the biggest and best video games whether it's droppin' my hits on the soundtrack or showing the world I can go toe-to-toe with the best fighters on the street but Way of the Dogg is the first true gamification of my music," Snoop states, inexplicably using both first- and third-person perspectives and dropping "gamification" out of nowhere. "It's the way you live, it's the way you do what you do and captures the beat, the rhythm and the spirit of my music. It's not just about who you are or where you've been but where you are headed to."

"This game shows how we evolve as individuals and they've incorporated the journey of my own personal reincarnation as Snoop Lion into my character, the environments and the path that players have to follow," Snoop adds, lending an air of mysticism to a game that probably has no mysticism whatsoever in its gameplay or plot.

Look, we'll be honest with you: We don't have much faith that Way of the Dogg will be an objectively good game. That said, Snoop is endlessly entertaining and charismatic. How many of you woke up this morning expecting to see him use the word "gamification?" Regardless of Way of the Dogg's eventual quality, we're just happy that Snoop has the chance to be involved in the gaming industry. It's certainly a welcome break from the endless whining of petulant gamers and entitled developers.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Snoopfu?

Honestly, that's the only thing I can think of when it comes to celebrities getting their own fighting game when they're celebrities that don't belong in the fighting genre.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Didn't Snoop Dogg already effectively have his own fighting game via that "Def Jam" series, which also involved music and rhytymn in with the fighting?

I don't think there has been one of those for a while though, so maybe this is just an attempt to revitalize it under a new label with Snoop acting as the face, rather than simply one of the main characters.

Interesting news, but not terribly surprising. I'd be a little more surprised if he was doing something differant. I seem to remember he was an alternative character in one of the "True Crime" games, he did Def Jam, I suppose a third person shooter would be new for him... I don't know it all seems like the same stuff.

Maybe he should consider "Lord Of The Doggs" an epic urban-fantasy RPG with a rhyme based magic system, or a Jet Fighter simulator or something. :)

I suppose I can understand wanting to stick with what he knows though.

Not a big Snoop fan in any way, shape, or form... just relaying my reaction to the news.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Sounds like a hardcore version of Elite Beat Agents.

AWESOME.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
Snoop Dogg is still relevant? That's news to me.

The game sounds like it may be worth a look, even if it does sound a bit like the sort of ego-stroking that resulted in 50 cent: Blood in the Sand.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
snekadid said:
Snoopfu?

Honestly, that's the only thing I can think of when it comes to celebrities getting their own fighting game when they're celebrities that don't belong in the fighting genre.
To be fair though Shaq was one huge dude, and he was still a kid at the time, you have to give him points for having fun, and not totally ruining himself doing it. He had his video game, his own movies (Steel and Kazam), a rap career... and he didn't seem to go bankrupt with any of it. What's more he at least (personally) seemed to be having fun even if most of the product was objectively terrible.

I did look it up though, Snoop already had a fighting game. He was in "Def Jam" as "Crow" (I thought I saw him mentioned when those games were out). The basic premise being that all these rap and hip hop guys are together in these big "crews" that wind up going to war, and you make your own character with a selected fighting style that takes on various rap and hip hop personalities in street fights while progressing through the plotline and using money you earn to buy clothes for your avatar and such. Apparently there is also a mode where you can play as your favorite character and fight the others. Carmen Electra and 'Lil Kim are also apparently characters though I'm unsure if they are playable. :)

I think I had one of these once but didn't remember much about it (I remember being pretty bad at it, due to the way you could beat someone indefinatly, but had to use a specific finisher to take them down unlike most fighting games).

That said I suppose it's a more literal take on street fighting based on people who claim to live that lifestyle, or have built stage personas around it. There are worse premises for games.

nomaner

May 9, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
BTWit's Snoop Lion now.
Not anymore. The Rastafari Community threaten to sue him if he continued to have his name as Snoop Lion. http://zipfm.net/news/snoop-lion-under-fire-rastafarian-society

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
So this could turn out to be Def Jam or Shak-fu all over again.
Regardless i don't care 'cause i don't particularly like Snoop Dog.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I'm sorry Escapist but does no one here know that Snoop Dog is nowadays refereed to as Snoop Lion ever since he was rechristened Snoop Lion by a Rastafarian priest in Jamaica? Not that this has anything with the game, other then the fact I hope he can transform into a kung fu lion because fuck it he's Snoop Lion.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, if 50 cent can get two games, than Snoop can surely have a fucking trilogy of games in his choice of genre...

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Lots of really wordy articles today escapist.
BTWit's Snoop Lion now.
Not exactly. Snoop Dogg is his name, while Snoop Lion is a stage persona. It's like how David Bowie's name is David Bowie, and not Ziggy Stardust. Unless of course he was straight up lying to whoever handles his PR.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Therumancer said:
Didn't Snoop Dogg already effectively have his own fighting game via that "Def Jam" series, which also involved music and rhytymn in with the fighting?
He was the final friggin boss.