Minecraft May Come To PlayStation

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Minecraft May Come To PlayStation

MInecraft's exclusivity deal with Xbox 360 will need to end before it can go to other consoles.

Minecraft, the game that's been earning massive profits on Xbox Live [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121858-Analyst-XBLA-Doubled-Annual-Revenue-in-2012], has an exclusivity console deal with Microsoft; but when that ends, the option opens up for other console ports. Mojang's Jens Bergensten, in an interview with iGamer, has said that Minecraft's creator would be interested in working on a PlayStation port, when it gets the chance.

However if you're a Nintendo gamer, this doesn't bode well, as Bergensten went on to say that a Wii U deal was "very unlikely." The very fact that Bergensten mentions the possibility of a port shows that the exclusivity deal wasn't in perpetuity, but as to exactly when it runs out, nobody - other than Mojang and Microsoft [https://twitter.com/notch/status/175882056956514305] - knows.

Minecraft has brought Mojang, and Markus Persson, more money than even Notch knows what to do with [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121863-Minecraft-Maker-Thinks-Wealth-is-Weird]. Its sales records on Xbox 360 have been excellent so far; a trip to the PlayStation, whenever it comes about, can only be a winner for Mojang.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/minecraft-on-playstation-being-considered-wii-u-version-very-unlikely/]

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Given their focus on the ease of development for the PS4 (more open to indies, etc. etc.), and how close we are to its launch date, I'd be surprised if they did put in on the PS3.

DVS BSTrD said:
Well I expect the PS gamers are going to have wait 4 some time.
Indeed! But not long!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well wasn't Mojang listed as a developer of the PS4?

Minecraft PS edition launch title anyone?

Either that or Notch's space game.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I want PS3 or PS4 to have Minecraft. WITH INTER-CONSOLE CONNECTIVITY. I long to play with our Playstation bretheren. Mining for all!

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Interestingly Minecraft would probably play best on the U with that tablet to keep your inventory on the ready.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Well, having Minecraft as a launch title for PS4 would be one way to help sales. I approve.

Also, it might actually get me to play Minecraft. Maybe. We'll see.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
By this point wouldn't anybody who wants to play minecraft, already done so? This annoying cold sore of a game has been out how many years now? I don't think it's a high demanding game (I could be wrong) so why would I want it so late at probably full price? I could have understood if it came out at the same time/close to the 360 release but this just seems like an after thought, "I'm sure there's a console we're forgetting.... Nah, we got it! *6 months later*... PS3!".

I'm probably just letting my opinion of the game influence this rant though.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
You know I'm still wondering where the AAA clones for Minecraft are? It's an indie game that sold over 20 million copies between platforms. I'd think a AAA developer would be all over that.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The Great JT said:
I want PS3 or PS4 to have Minecraft. WITH INTER-CONSOLE CONNECTIVITY. I long to play with our Playstation bretheren. Mining for all!
We won't see PS# - Xbox 360 connectivity, Microsoft has (intentionally) made Xbox Live too restrictive for that to be possible. We may well see PS3-PC, but I wouldn't bank on it. Vita-Android is also possible, but so unlikely as not to be worth thinking about.

P.S. Thanks

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Bara_no_Hime said:
Well, having Minecraft as a launch title for PS4 would be one way to help sales. I approve.
Clearly, seeing as it is only on XBLA and not readily available for any other system that the majority of users already have and use, without the additional several hundred dollar investment of blindly buying new branded hardware that really offers nothing to seriously rival former competitors anymore.

Oh, wait... it is on the iPhone.

Nevermind.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The Great JT said:
Yeah, as if Microsoft would let that happen.

Reportedly Valve tried it with Counterstrike: Global Offensive, but MS shot them down.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
gigastar said:
The Great JT said:

Reportedly Valve tried it with Counterstrike: Global Offensive, but MS shot them down.
Even if MS hadn't shot them down, they wanted PS3/PC cross-play like Portal 2 had. They cut that on their own (I don't know why, but I suspect M+KB kept winning, as tends to be the case in such a precise shooter as CS).

P.S. Thanks

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Covarr said:
gigastar said:
The Great JT said:

Even if MS hadn't shot them down, they wanted PS3/PC cross-play like Portal 2 had. They cut that on their own (I don't know why, but I suspect M+KB kept winning, as tends to be the case in such a precise shooter as CS).

P.S. Thanks
Actually the main reason why they dropped PS3/PC crossplay was because the updates for the PS3 version would not be able to keep up with the PC version, as PS3 coding is very different from PC coding and with PSN theres still 1st party certification to go through.