Arma III Preview: A Taste of Brilliance

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Arma III Preview: A Taste of Brilliance

One of the finest military simulations on the PC is ready and waiting for its third chapter.

Read Full Article

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Yup, totally working now. Thanks very much.

Feel free to delete this post. Or let it forever linger here.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Try clearing out your cache to see if that fixes your video problems; I'm going to go make sure that the hamsters that work behind the scenes aren't asleep at the wheel. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Vid plays fine for me.
I might well pick this up when it comes out. I enjoyed what I played of ARMA2 but I struggled to get into it at first.

drnogood59

Dec 17, 2012
Now if only companies behind half of today's games would put the amount of work that those behind the Arma series have. Just imagine what could be achieved.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Still needs a little polish, I don't want to break my knee when I lie prone.
Alpha is alpha.

Arma is one of those titles I always wanted to get into but never did. Now, unfortunately, I'd need a new PC to run it. My old laptop just won't cut it anymore.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Smilomaniac said:
Friend of mine is jizzing his pants over this. I'm looking forwards to some more in depth videos of it and a list of features.

I'm one of those guys who complain that most shooters today are too mainstream, but I get too overwhelmed in comparatively unintuitive games like Arma :)
What would you like to know? I gave it a quick run last night, was shocked at how smooth it is (ArmA 1&2 were resource hogs on release, but A3 went to very high by default and runs flawlessly).
Now the question is who to give the alpha keys to....

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
Disappointed that a lot of people only think of Arma as the game you need to play DayZ. There's SOOOO much more to it than that, and I'm glad this video emphasised that.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
Well... what makes it stand apart from its predecessors? What are they working on implementing that they were unable to in the previous games?

The performance sounds good. I look forwards to massive airbattle videos :3
I think the most immediatedly noticeable difference is the new inventory system.

A lot of people got introduced to the old system via playing DayZ, and while I'm personally very used to it, the newer system in ArmA 3 is a whole lot better.

Flying is getting a complete overhaul. The way the two currently available Helos work in the Alpha is gonna be changed from the currently very ArmA 2-like deal, to some way more realistic stuff they originally developed for Take On Helicopters, a game centered entirely around flying Helis. Trouble is, they say that it takes them a month to do the complete flight model for each Helo, so don't expect to see that anytime soon.

Animations. The new animations look way better already, and will get better on top of that. Just watch the video here, and compare that to any ArmA 2 YouTube video. Difference is huge. This is a pretty huge deal, as 90% of the complaints I hear about ArmA in general is about how crappy the animations are :p

PhysX is being implemented, which means we're likely to see at least some basic rag-doll stuff, as well as much improved vehicle handling. That is, driving is probably gonna get harder, which is a good thing.

There's also some SICK work already in the Alpha, on what they call Picture in Picture. Basically, it's a system they use for remote control weapons, like a Gatling on top of a HMMWV, so that you can realistically control it from your first-person view inside the vehicle. I've also noticed this on a boat so far. It works like a charm, and is rather damn cool, in that you no longer just zoom straight into a monitor CoD-style, but rather see it realistically through your 1st-person view.

Yes, that's the kind of crap that gets ArmA vets excited :p

Anyway, that's just some of the stuff.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Smilomaniac said:
RicoADF said:
What would you like to know? I gave it a quick run last night, was shocked at how smooth it is (ArmA 1&2 were resource hogs on release, but A3 went to very high by default and runs flawlessly).
Well... what makes it stand apart from its predecessors? What are they working on implementing that they were unable to in the previous games?

That list is quite extensive, count gave some examples. On train heading home, will give a full list with video examples once I get home

EDIT: For anyone that's played ArmA 2 and gets this. G is now your grenade button, not gear. I figured this out when I went upto a corpse, hit G and was rewarded with a grenade on the ground where my feet use to be. Owe......

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Desert Punk said:
RicoADF said:
Smilomaniac said:
RicoADF said:

That list is quite extensive, count gave some examples. On train heading home, will give a full list with video examples once I get home

EDIT: For anyone that's played ArmA 2 and gets this. G is now your grenade button, not gear. I figured this out when I went upto a corpse, hit G and was rewarded with a grenade on the ground where my feet use to be. Owe......
"Hey bro, looks like you dropped a grenade."
*Sigh* "Shit..."
BOOM! :p

OT: The real question is, can I fly over to Lemnos and blow everything up? :p
Yeah that's going to take some time to get use to the change of buttons.
There's only 1 island in the Alpha, so no Lemnos. However the island is reasonably sized, its not Utes.
While mucking around I just found that you can go swimming without diving gear, but everything goes blurry so I wasnt sure if it was a fish, shark or boat coming towards me.