The 7th Guest Is Coming Back

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The 7th Guest Is Coming Back

Get ready for another journey through the creepy Stauf mansion in a new sequel to the classic adventure The 7th Guest.

Released in 1993 at the breaking of the CD-ROM dawn, The 7th Guest was a hugely successful puzzle adventure game set in the mansion of a toymaker (and murderer) named Henry Stauf. The puzzles were quite Myst-like in their design and challenge, but the game also featured plenty of live-action video clips, voice acting and near-photorealistic (for the day) backdrops, and the story was dark, to put it mildly. It sold more than two million copies - a huge number for the time - and no less a figure than Bill Gates called it a "new standard in interactive entertainment."

A sequel, The 11th Hour, was released in 1995 but didn't fare nearly as well, and further sequels never saw the light of day, as developer Trilobyte ran into financial trouble and closed down in 1999. But in 2010 the studio was re-launched by original co-founders Graeme Devine and Rob Landeros, and now they're finally getting around to making that third game.

In The 7th Guest 3, players will return to the Stauf mansion, which has been restored as a "historical museum" in honor of its famed owner, whose darker deeds apparently remain unknown to the world at large. "But it is still haunted, as players will soon discover," Trilobyte co-founder and COO Charlie McHenry told Polygon. "You will learn more about what happened on that terrible night, and discover the real story and previously hidden secrets of the gaming world's most mysterious toymaker."

McHenry said Trilobyte hopes to have the game finished in 12 to 18 months and is considering a Kickstarter campaign in April, although it may forgo that plan if other funding comes through. In the meantime, Trilobyte is seeking suggestions for a 7th Guest 3 subtitle on Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/trilobytegames]; ideas contributed thus far include The Stauf Legacy, The Stauf Ultimatum, Not-So-Nice Guys Always Finish Third and my personal favorite, Feeling Lonely?

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/6/4072420/the-7th-guest-3-in-development-for-ios-android-pc-and-mac]

XX Y XY

Apr 2, 2011
Well it's about time. I still have my original 7th Guest and 11th Hour disks. I hope they include a copy of the original 7th Guest with the Microscope game recoded for more up to date computers. I used to be able to beat that on my 2nd or 3rd try on my old PC but apparently the computer's proficiency at that game is tied to your PC's processing power so it's impossible to beat on newer machines. At least I can't beat it :/ I would love to be able to play through the original again. And LOL at the Feeling Lonely. Sooo many times. The 7th Guest 3: Freezer Full of Popsicles :D

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I'm surprised they didn't go with the title The 3rd Installment.

Anyone? Amiright?

Seriously though, I've never played either of them, so maybe I'll give this new one a try. And it's nice to see the revival of a classic game company. ^^

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
If it's released in 2014, shouldn't it be called The 21st Year or something?
Anyway, while I played the first one, I never finished it and I never even played the sequel. I'll be honest, those puzzles just weren't my kind of adventure puzzles. I prefer the "use monkey as a wrench on valve"-types from Monkey Island or Simon the Sorcerer. You know, the logical stuff!

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I never played but I have heard of them before. It's pretty neat that they'll try to finish the series.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
If you're curious, GOG has both 7th Guest and 11th Hour, although they're $9.99 titles - which should give you an idea as to their relative popularity. T7G was a hugely influential game. Infuriating, too. I beat it back in the day, but I doubt I'd have the patience for it now. Even so, I fully expect that I'll end up grabbing this sequel when it comes out.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Oh man, this was a fantastic game. But why oh why can't I find the only piece of music from the gamethat I can remember? WHYYYYYYYYYYY?!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The puzzles were quite Myst-like in their design and challenge,
Me-thinks that someone hasn't played Myst; or just has a very foggy memory of the game. Mysts puzzles were pure inspired genius, and often required that you really get into the world of the game to even understand how the puzzle works, let-alone how to solve it. By contrast, 7th Guest's puzzles were very run-of-the-mill. Many I was able to solve just because they were based on common real-world puzzles that I had solved many times before; and another puzzle is basically Othello with blobs.

Don't get me wrong, I loved 7th Guest (and its sequel), but to compare its puzzles to Myst's would be like saying that Tetris and Bejeweled are basically the same game.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
Oh man, this was a fantastic game. But why oh why can't I find the only piece of music from the gamethat I can remember? WHYYYYYYYYYYY?!
If you buy both games from GoG.com they SHOULD include the midi files from both games, just something to think about because I did try to download the music from other sites and the music sounded off from what I remember.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
*ahem* EEEEEEEEE!
This delights me to no end. Though, now I have to go hit up GOG, redownload, and replay 7th Guest and 11th Hour now. >.>

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
This gives me a reason to go back and play The 7th Guest, which I had been putting off until now.
Hey, if we're lucky, we could see the revival of some other early 90's horror games.

Okay, just not like this.
I yearn for the rightful return of the REAL Edward Carnby; everyone's favorite hard-boiled, mustachioed, abomination slapping Private Investigator.