Minecraft Redstone Update Extends the Tech Tree

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Minecraft Redstone Update Extends the Tech Tree

Mojang's latest patch brings Minecraft one step closer to the singularity.

Minecraft players have come a long way from punching trees. Redstone, the resource that generates electricity for the game's craftable powered items, opened the door for complex logic-driven machines. Enterprising players have built recreations of Minecraft within Minecraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122415-Its-The-Amazing-Minecraft-Dot-Matrix-Printer]. If that wasn't impressive enough, the game's 1.5 patch will soon add a slew of new computational toys for your engineering pleasure.

Minecraft 1.5, nicknamed the Redstone Update, includes a handful of new craftable blocks, which players will surely use to blow our minds in new and interesting ways. Long-time fans may be disappointed by the lack of non-electric additions, but those will come in time: the Redstone Update is the first of several patches focused on majorly expanding a single feature of the game. These feature-focused updates are loosely scheduled to occur every two months.

Here's a full list of the changes:

? Added Redstone Comparator (used in Redstone logic)
? Added Hopper (collects items and moves them to containers)
? Added Dropper (similar to Dispensers, but always drops the item)
? Added Activator Rail (activates TNT Minecarts)
? Added Daylight Sensor
? Added Trapped Chest
? Added Weighed Pressure Plate
? Added Block of Redstone
? Added Nether Brick (item)
? Added Nether Quartz and ore
? Added Block of Quartz, with half blocks and chiseled variants
? New command: /scoreboard
? New command: /effect
? Containers and mobs can have custom names
? Inventory management has been changed, for example you can drag-place items over slots
? Texture packs now have separate images for each block and item, and can have animations
? Nether Quartz Ore now spawns in the Nether
? Smooth lighting now has three settings (none, minimal, maximum)
? More detailed death messages
? Some hostile mobs now are harder in Hard difficulty
? Many, many, bug fixes
? Removed Herobrine

The update is scheduled to be officially released on Wednesday, March 13. For those of you who simply can't wait to start working on your redstone-powered giant robots, you can grab the pre-release at Mojang's website [http://www.mojang.com/2013/03/minecraft-redstone-update-pre-release/].

Source: Mojang [http://www.mojang.com/2013/03/minecraft-redstone-update-pre-release/]

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Aeshi said:
I swear Herobrine's been "removed" about 8 times now.
It's a running-gag by the MC developers.

Sadly, judging by the comments on the pre-release news article at the minecraft forum, not everybody seems to understand it. So far about 70% of the comments there are newbies posting stuff along the lines of OMG HEROBRINE WAS REAL.

Can't wait for this update though. More options for redstone might make my circuits a ton smaller. And the new marble is super sexy.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
you know, its still bothers me that modders did all this months ago, i mean hoppers have been around since like the original 1.5 of minecraft.

ohwell heres hoping the next version finally deals with the mod API, altho they probably fear it may put them out of a job haha

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
ramboondiea said:
you know, its still bothers me that modders did all this months ago, i mean hoppers have been around since like the original 1.5 of minecraft.

ohwell heres hoping the next version finally deals with the mod API, altho they probably fear it may put them out of a job haha
I wonder how the freakout from the modding community will be. A lot of this stuff will not only replace stuff from various mods but also mess up the world gen.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Lundar - a new patch always messes up mods

I'm more looking forward to the patch that'll have the official mod API

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Hammeroj said:
Come on, does an actual development team cost that fucking much to maintain, given how much money Minecraft pulls in? Really?
Most of Mojang's dev team (still not all that much, by the way) is focused on making this 0x10c thing ive heard very little about.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I'm interested to see what a "Redstone Comparator" is, and what it will do, the rest seems pretty standard, although will there be pipes for the hoppers to funnel stuff to containers, or will the objects just be teleported to the nearest chest?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Hammeroj said:
ramboondiea said:
That's basically the main thing that's pissing me off with Minecraft. The development is just so fucking slow. It takes them a half year to come out with an update, and it's never anything big. A small little new feature there, a couple of items here, and you end up with almost the exact same game in terms of content. At this rate Minecraft will be worth coming back to in maybe a year and a half.

Come on, does an actual development team cost that fucking much to maintain, given how much money Minecraft pulls in? Really?
As much as I'd like more content, slow development isn't all bad. I moderate over at Escapecraft, every update means our admins have to put in shedloads of work to get all the mods updated and running smoothly. In the meantime, the server is half dead because people have updated.

I don't use much redstone, but there's a few things that could be interesting. Hoppers sound dead handy for one, and new blocks is always nice.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
As much as I'd like more content, slow development isn't all bad. I moderate over at Escapecraft, every update means our admins have to put in shedloads of work to get all the mods updated and running smoothly. In the meantime, the server is half dead because people have updated.
The thing is, if Minecraft had been built with modding in mind, this whole thing wouldn't be a problem. In fact, this huge lack of backwards-compatibility is a major disappointment. That's something that shouldn't happen at all.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
Aeshi said:
I swear Herobrine's been "removed" about 8 times now.
Clearly he refuses to stay gone.
He is a god. The simple flimsy rules and patches that Mojang makes cannot possibly contain him!

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Meh, I won't be updating until the launcher I use updates. I run a sever for myself and a friend using a combination of several modpacks from the Feed the Beast launcher, and the included mods do all this and more. I recommend anyone who enjoys Minecraft check it out, the vast amount of new content has revived my interest in a game I thought I was done with.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
I'm interested to see what a "Redstone Comparator" is, and what it will do, the rest seems pretty standard, although will there be pipes for the hoppers to funnel stuff to containers, or will the objects just be teleported to the nearest chest?
It's nothing special, or anthing that hasn't already been done with redpower. Just a basic logic component.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Feed the Beast has utterly ruined vanilla minecraft for me.. Finally adding hoppers..My auto processing and sorting system laughs at your hopper, and it's not even that complex a system either.