GDC 2013 Will Host Last Ever Game Design Challenge

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
GDC 2013 Will Host Last Ever Game Design Challenge

As indie games become more popular, innovative thinking is harder to showcase.

The Game Design Challenge held each year at the Game Developers Conference has become a fan favorite thanks to its fast-paced nature and ridiculous themes. Unfortunately, GDC 2013 will be the last time we'll get to see developers face off at the venue, as the event's organizers have revealed that 2013 will be the competition's final year.

The challenge asks game designers to create and showcase an idea for a game based on a specific theme. As this is the 10th and final year the event will be held, a fitting theme of "the last game humanity will ever play" has been chosen.

"The Game Design Challenge was started 10 years ago as a way to highlight experimental game design," explains GDC General Manager Meggan Scavio, regarding the competition's final year. "With the rise of indie games and the success of the Experimental Gameplay Workshop, it's not as necessary to showcase out-of-the-box thinking with this particular challenge. We'll be working with Eric Zimmerman, the man behind the Game Design Challenge, to come up with a new session that will offer a fresh and innovative glimpse into the future of gaming."

For its final sendoff, the challenge will bring back past winners to compete in the ultimate head-to-head designer battle. The current list of participants includes: Jenova Chen (thatgamecompany), Richard Lemarchand (Assistant Professor, USC), Steve Meretzky (Playdom), Erin Robinson (Ivy Games), Jason Rohrer (Independent), Harvey Smith (Arkane Studios), Will Wright (Stupid Fun Club), and Eric Zimmerman (Independent).

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
I honestly think this is the wrong approach. Yes, sure, it's essentially obsolete - but it still shows something new. Just because that happens more often, we shouldn't just remove - or in this case at least replace - opportunities to do so in a more professional setting than the depths of the Internet.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Potential for independent game developers becoming successful is rising? Here, let's cut one of the biggest opportunities so that it's just as hard to get in the market as before.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
This just in: Indie games. Too popular to innovate.

Either there's something bizzare about this industry, or I've stopped on the progress train.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
I... whu.... I don't even...

You know that thing that everyone loves and promotes creative independant game design and ideas? It's too mainstream now. Not that you'd understand that *puts on hipster glasses*