Unclassified Bacterial Life Found in Antarctic Lake

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Unclassified Bacterial Life Found in Antarctic Lake

Lake Vostok is 2.3 miles below antarctic ice, and has been isolated for millions of years.

Russian scientists searching for life in subglacial Lake Vostok have found bacterial DNA that does not match any of the known subkingdoms of bacteria. "After excluding all known contaminants...we discovered bacterial DNA that does not match any known species listed in global databanks. We call it unidentified and 'unclassified' life," said Sergei Bulat, a researcher from the Laboratory of Eukaryote Genetics at the St. Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute. Lake Vostok is 2.3 miles (3.5 kilometers) below the ice of the Antarctic, and could have been frozen over as early as 17 million years ago. It has spent that time as an isolated environment, and any bacteria living inside its waters would have been split off from the outside world - evolving in their own environment. Building a phylogenetic tree from the microorganisms to determine its relationship to other species showed that the bacterium didn't fit into any categories in its taxonomic domain - in short, it has no known relatives.

The bacteria are likely extremely adapted to the high-oxygen environment inside the lake, and survive by geothermal heat. "If it were found on Mars, people would call it Martian DNA. But this is DNA from Earth," said Bulat. Tests, according to Bulat, are ongoing, but the chance further testing disproves the results is low. More samples are coming, which would give conclusive proof, but they are travelling to Russia by ship from the Antarctic. Researchers began drilling in 1989 to reach Lake Vostok, and it took 23 years to drill and be absolutely sure that the researchers wouldn't contaminate the lake when they reached it. In earlier studies of Vostok water, no microbes were found.

Source & Image: RIA Novosti [http://en.ria.ru/science/20130307/179878285.html]

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Remember, do not let any unfamiliar dogs wander the encampment.
Keep the flame throwers fueld and handy.
Also we should subject all the scientist from that lab to blood tests.

There's a very good reason this instructional video is played to US Antarctic Research Teams at the start of the winter.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
JonB said:
"If it were found on Mars, people would call it Martian DNA. But this is DNA from Earth," said Bulat.
I love scientists, man.

On topic, this is pretty cool, although wasn't this the plot of an X Files episode? Pretty sure it was. If all the people turn up horribly murdered at the research base then WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So... is it actually a bacterium or is this just a "microorganisms == bacteria" association by the writer? Because there's quite some difference between bacterium and archaea.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
JonB said:
"If it were found on Mars, people would call it Martian DNA. But this is DNA from Earth," said Bulat.
I love scientists, man.

On topic, this is pretty cool, although wasn't this the plot of an X Files episode? Pretty sure it was. If all the people turn up horribly murdered at the research base then WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.
It was, in season one which was the season where nobody knew if it would last so they did mostly one offs that ripped off movies. That one was The Thing.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
TheSYLOH said:

There's a very good reason this instructional video is played to US Antarctic Research Teams at the start of the winter.
Well that Thing reference didn't take long.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
ANImaniac89 said:
TheSYLOH said:

Well that Thing reference didn't take long.
Took longer than I expected. Thought the first comment was going to be something like "Better get the flamethrowers."

No but seriously we should probably get the flamethrowers. These are bacteria that survived in a subglacial lake for possibly millions of years. You do NOT want to take risks with that.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Quaxar said:
So... is it actually a bacterium or is this just a "microorganisms == bacteria" association by the writer? Because there's quite some difference between bacterium and archaea.
It's bacterium, the use of microorganisms is to keep language fresh and sentences varied. Thanks for helping prevent confusion!

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Soon, the Antarctic ice sheet will explode, the oceans will turn red, and the Angels will return.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I hope those scientists know that if they hear musical piping over a wide frequency range, especially if it sounds like it's trying to say "Tekeli-li, Tekeli-li," they need to get out of there. And heaven help them if they find any cyclopean architecture.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
TheSYLOH said:

Exactly what I thought. Seriously, did everyone shit their pants when they found the damn thing?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
hey science, quit ripping off the X Files and get your own storylines!

i'd like to see this go apocolyptic. also, 23 years to dig a hole? what gives science? instead of figuring out whats gonna kill us and unleashing it, how about you work on a better drill? no, you're right, ice is nigh-indestructable!

i'm of course being facetious, but 23 years to drill into frozen water is kinda terrible.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
JonB said:
Quaxar said:
It's bacterium, the use of microorganisms is to keep language fresh and sentences varied. Thanks for helping prevent confusion!
I didn't actually mean your article but the original which had a somewhat confusing paragraph concerning that in it. You're welcome anyway.

And as a geneticist I'm very much interested in seeing some proper research published. Probably going to still take a while though. The waiting is the worst!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I hope those scientists know that if they hear musical piping over a wide frequency range, especially if it sounds like it's trying to say "Tekeli-li, Tekeli-li," they need to get out of there. And heaven help them if they find any cyclopean architecture.
I see what you did there. Although I guess this is the Lake of Madness.

We'd better send Kurt Russell to Antarctica immediately, he's our only chance.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Gabanuka said:
Calling it now, its the Thing.
The Thing? Pbbt, you wish. What we've discovered is much, much worse then the Thing... We have found...

The Shoggoths!

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
You know, when the first person responds to a science article with Zombies and/or a sci-fi classic scenario, it's almost witty but not really since you could smell the joke coming right after the headline. When every post is that, it isn't witty at all.

Quaxar said:
JonB said:
Quaxar said:
I didn't actually mean your article but the original which had a somewhat confusing paragraph concerning that in it. You're welcome anyway.

And as a geneticist I'm very much interested in seeing some proper research published. Probably going to still take a while though. The waiting is the worst!
Oh, I second that. I wonder how they compete with each other, what their cell walls are like, and do they try to pop each other's cell walls with something not-too-toxic to humans...

VRSA and MDR Escherichia and all that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
As much as this does sound like the start of a sci-fi horror movie, nothing especially cool ever happens in real life so I'd imagine this is just going to kind of go nowhere and be forgotten.

To be honest my first thoughts were more along the lines of hollow earth conspiricy theories, and the idea that there are entire alternate biospheres below our feet.... namely that something leaked through "again".

Not likely, but I guess my imagination works a bit differantly nowadays.