EA Offers Free Game to Early SimCity Adopters

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
EA Offers Free Game to Early SimCity Adopters

EA stresses that it is trying its hardest to rectify the problems with SimCity servers, and offers gamers who buy the game before March 18 "something special for their troubles."

SimCity's launch was really bad. The servers issues became so terrible that Amazon stop advertising the game. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122565-Amazon-Refuses-to-Sell-SimCity] Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw knows the hardships early adopters faced trying to play the game, and is extending an olive branch in the form of a free game.

"And to get us back in your good graces, we're going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio," Bradshaw said, after apologizing profusely for the game's server issues. "On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game." Bradshaw offers no information on what the free game will be.

"I know that's a little contrived - kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. We're hoping you won't stay mad and that we'll be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent."

Bradshaw offers a bit of insight into how the whole house of cards came tumbling down in the first place, telling us that "The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta." Despite this, she says EA is committed to fixing the problem as quickly as possible. "In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent." She says that the server issues which began at launch have improved significantly since increasing their capacity.

Bradshaw wants all of you SimCity fans to hang in there, stressing that "The consensus among critics and players is that this is fundamentally a great game" and "we'll be providing more updates throughout the weekend." She hopes that the sever issues will be fully resolved by Monday.

Source: EA [http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble?ClickID=bmkmfklgd1ukenknzsqnyumn1n16s16vngve]

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
This comes from the Maxis gm, get someone directly from EA to say it >.>

Methinks this will cut into Maxis's cut, not EA's.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Now they can get Sim city 4!

Seriously though, something seems off, EA may be a tad demonised on this site but there is reason behind it. I smell a trick.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
marurder said:
This comes from the Maxis gm, get someone directly from EA to say it >.>

Methinks this will cut into Maxis's cut, not EA's.
Funny you should mention that. But this isn't how publishing works.

As I understand it, you have developers and publishers. In this case anyway, Maxis (The Devs) Are commissioned by EA (The Publisher) to make a game. They give the Devs a budget and this covers their living expenses. This is all money to hire people to do things right. Make sure people do things right. Because. You know it's not like they have to buy materials to make the game. Developers for big publishers rarely EVER see money from the game. The only money they get is if the game sells well enough to justify continuing investment into that Developer.

TLDR - Devs don't get money from game sales. They get a lump sum to make a game. And if it does well they get another lump sum to make another.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
If you're going to offer a free game, tell people what it is. It's only common sense, but then so is getting enough servers to cope with demand and they sure ballsed that up.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Desert Punk said:
TopazFusion said:
The "free game" is probably the new Command & Conquer.
Could be wore, could be the older Command and Conquer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer_4:_Tiberian_Twilight
I still have nightmares about it. I'd like to think that it will be something half-decent, but I'm not holding my breath.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
kailus13 said:
If you're going to offer a free game, tell people what it is. It's only common sense, but then so is getting enough servers to cope with demand and they sure ballsed that up.
The wording of her statement suggests that you'll get to choose your own game from EA's full library. But.. that seems a bit too good to be true?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
MercurySteam said:
Desert Punk said:
TopazFusion said:
The "free game" is probably the new Command & Conquer.
Could be wore, could be the older Command and Conquer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer_4:_Tiberian_Twilight
I still have nightmares about it. I'd like to think that it will be something half-decent, but I'm not holding my breath.
Why did you have to remind me of that game??? Now i'm going to be in a bad mood all day

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I never trust those "mystery prizes". If they don't want to tell you what it is, then it's probably crap.

They could've just removed the DRM by now, but they'd rather do everything to prove that it's a good idea.
EA deserves every bit of hate that they get for being that stupid.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
This free game me thinks can be one of these options

- Their cheapest game (Or an old simcity game, they can't cost much now right?

- BF3, either the vanilla game or with the Back to karkland / Armored kill / Close quarters / Aftermath expansions
The newest expansion, end game, comes out in a few week. Ea will most likely count on people buying end game then, so they can still make money off it.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Well, since I am affected by it, and in germany there are no real class-action lawsuits like you have them in the USA, afaik. I will happily accept it, but I fear it is something I already own. Or something I don't like. EA released a lot of shit over the years, so they have much to choose from

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
"The consensus amount... players is that it's a great game"?

she hasn't looked at the metacritic user reviews, has she?

Or she's lying.

Yeah, gonna go with lying.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Lets see...

Abused beta as a publicity tool instead of using it to test - check
Cut so much off server capacity to cut costs - check
Lied to the EU and then UK public about those launches not having the same issues - check
Blatantly setting up a beloved franchise as yet another platform to drip feed DLC crap on loyal fans - check

Wonder why fans are so mad, luckily I didnt pre-order nor am I a early adaptor as I am not a sheep like many unfortunates are.

I hope the lesson gets learnt THIS time : DO NOT PRE-ORDER!

I say this even if Valve announces HL 3 with a new HYPER SOURCE II SUPER ENGINE and free CS:SIISE for pre-orders with a AWP free even in the pistol round.

DO NOT PRE-ORDER.
Wait and see, as customers its the publishers job to convince us its worth our money so instead of falling for cheap marketing tricks, make the publishers show they have a worthy product for our cash instead.
I am not saying boycott this or petition that, simply wait and see how the product is like...send the word back to the Koticks and EA's that we are not sheep for them to shear all day long.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
There are rumors if you accept the free game, its means you are agreeing that you cant bring this to class action lawsuit status.
If you're in the US, it doesn't matter, you already waived your right to litigate when you clicked agree on the EULA and downloaded the game. EA have been doing that for a couple of years now.

If you're in Europe they can't do that, such stunts are illegal.