Dad Switches Mario For Pauline To Please Daughter

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Dad Switches Mario For Pauline To Please Daughter

The course of true love never did run smooth; watch out for those flaming onions, Pauline.

One daughter's love for Donkey Kong inspired her dad to do a little benevolent modding, and the result is a tale of true love between a plumber and Pauline. Except that this time it's Pauline out to save her little Italian buddy, and not the other way around.

"My three year old daughter and I play a lot of old games together," says the dad, Mike Mika, who works for Other Ocean. "Her favorite is Donkey Kong," he adds, and that's where the trouble started, as that particular game doesn't let you play as Pauline. Little Mika wasn't happy about that - after all, she could play as the Princess in other games - and that inspired her dad's midnight modding of the 2010 NES edition.

The hardest part, according to Mika, was the animation. "The technical aspect of the mod wasn't too challenging, it was animating blind," he says, "also, what should Pauline look like when moving?" But once these challenges were overcome, the rest was a snap. A downloadable Pauline patch is available via the YouTube video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeXDNg7scyU], should you wish to play the Mika version, though you will need the original ROM and XDELTA to use it.

Source: Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeXDNg7scyU]

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I thought this was really cute. What a dedicated dad! (Try Commander Keene next)

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
lol, I did something just like this for an assignment piece, though my version had different levels (and was coded in the program/language we were learning at the time). The concept for mine though was that pauline just decided to rescue her damn self after jumpman took to long :p

probably inspired by all the fruitless attempts to make it to the top that i went through when i was younger XD

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I love stuff like this, just beautiful.
Another dad of the year right here, give it to him now.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Is this the same father that edited Wind Waker to make Link a girl?

I remember them complaining about that (for whatever asinine reason) on the radio show "What The Fuck?".

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Hey look, someone who actually doing something to fight tropes that disadvantage women (albeit in a mod and only for his daughter) instead of just enumerating a list of games that utilise the aforementioned tropes. How lovely.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Hunter85792 said:
Hey look, someone who actually doing something to fight tropes that disadvantage women (albeit in a mod and only for his daughter) instead of just enumerating a list of games that utilise the aforementioned tropes. How lovely.
Playing as Mario is a disadvantage to women? Is it a disadvantage to men to play as Lightning or Lara Croft?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well if the dad is used to coding this shouldn't be too difficult I think.
Great dedication thou!

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Another reason I think it's important in this day and age to include female protagonists as an option. Little kids are amazing when it comes to being open about stuff they want.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Nice guy, obviously a caring father. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off before this thread turns into an inevitable sex war.

OreoDoublestuff

Nov 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Hunter85792 said:
Playing as Mario is a disadvantage to women? Is it a disadvantage to men to play as Lightning or Lara Croft?
The difference is in that the men in those games aren't reduced to helpless objects to be rescued or protected from the villain. Unless we count Hope...

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
BlindTom said:
Why am I getting so much deja vu from this?
You remember the Dad changing Link's gender for her daughter too? I didn't know dads were THAT into rule 63...JK.

GG dad. Now start with the dragon's lair. I want my Knight in a bubble dammit.

captcha: runny nose

How did it know?..

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
midnightdown said:
Crono1973 said:
Hunter85792 said:
The difference is in that the men in those games aren't reduced to helpless objects to be rescued or protected from the villain. Unless we count Hope...
Seriously, finding sexism in Donkey Kong is just too far our there for me. I guess most of the Mario series is sexist too.

OreoDoublestuff

Nov 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
midnightdown said:
Crono1973 said:
Hunter85792 said:
Seriously, finding sexism in Donkey Kong is just too far our there for me. I guess most of the Mario series is sexist too.
I agree, I think most sexism in games these days is a consequence of (flawed) demographics or is accidental, but you gotta admit, the helpless princess thing has been either lazy or misogynistic since it started showing up as a plot point.

Mario being more on the lazy side.