Leave Me The F**k Alone

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I dunno, I can understand it in some situations, but when it's just talking or something like that I don't get it.
If it is something quick that you'll miss if you're facing the wrong direction, it's probably justified.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
That is something that has always bothered me. Some of the coolest moments in gaming or when you just kinda notice stuff and it happen organically.

OfficialJab

Jan 14, 2012
Zykon TheLich said:
This comic could really have done with a Clockwork Orange reference in the last panel.
Just would have confused more than half the readers, and we would need to spend the entire thread explaining it to them. The references they do put in the comic almost always have the same effect.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah there is a bit of an over the top need for control and also slightly irritating lack of lesson learned in them
the first time the solarii threaten her friends from the boat is one thing but seriously it then happens about three more times and she still believes them for some reason

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I prefer that they SHOW me the stuff, there are many horror games where I simply missed some pretty scary moments simply because I wasn't looking at the right direction, and many other times missed downright epic events because, again, I was paying attention to something else. Also, camera, I love when God of War simply fixes the camera in a given position in order to, say, focus on the scope of the scenario.
However, sometimes it is frustrating and imbecilic, like when, as said in the comic strip, they focus on a wolf, a wolf like any other of the thousands of wolves that you'll encounter the whole damn game, for no reason at all, it's a cool dire wolf with body armor, it's not a boss, it's a wolf you've been hunting for, or at least the first time you encounter said enemy, it's just one of many, then it feels empty...

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i agree, if you steal my camera i hate you.

game devs do it all the time, if they want my attention make me do the cool thing. don't have it just happen
why should the npc's have all the fun while i watch?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't mind it if it's used sparingly and sensibly. Like, level intros, or "next bit" intros inside levels.

Quiet a bit of that in "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines", but that seemed to be along the lines of "Hey look at this for a second, it's important" than showing ff, and it worked. Useful when there's something you want to tell the player so they don't spend ages wandering around wandering what they should do next.

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
I get irritated when they hold my hand to teach me how to play the game (I often skip tutorials and learn as i go if it's an option), but the game is unplayable when they hold my hand the entire game.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Some of the alternatives can be annoying too.

Like the trigger-a-plot-important-event-as-soon-as-the-player-looks-at-it routine. This falls down horribly when I'm swinging the camera around, trigger an event in passing, and don't notice until I've missed most of it. Unlike static things that you can find and examine at your leisure, it's generally not possible to re-trigger events you missed.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I agree with this to no end, it's annoying as hell when they do it constantly, disrupting the game, instead of going for the subtle, "it's more your choice to see it" approach.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
MetalMagpie said:
Some of the alternatives can be annoying too.

Like the trigger-a-plot-important-event-as-soon-as-the-player-looks-at-it routine. This falls down horribly when I'm swinging the camera around, trigger an event in passing, and don't notice until I've missed most of it. Unlike static things that you can find and examine at your leisure, it's generally not possible to re-trigger events you missed.
Yeah, this is something that maybe could be handled a bit better, but still has to be in the gaming world. Immersion is nice, but if you never take control of the camera away it becomes like Skyrim... you have all the freedom in the world, but the story is shit because you can't tell one without at least a little guidance. Is Journey less of an incredible game because it has cutscenes?

Journey does its best to be as free and immersing as possible, and even it has flaws in the gameplay. I can't remember how often I see people run around not even noticing the glow on the edges of the screen, only learning later that someone was with you and trying to get your attention, and you were being a gigantic dick and ignoring them.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
"Take control of away"...."TAKE CONTROL OF AWAY"?!

Quick men, throw your F7 keys at them.

Captcha: "bet on cheltenham at betfair"
Solve media is making me write advertising slogans to post on forums now?

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
For me it sometimes works, I can definitely understand hating it though. The only times I condone it, is when there are tiny plot points that are easy to miss. The first example, I may never forget, is at the beginning of Fallout 3, when escaping the vault. The player is supposed to decide to help their childhood friend or not, but I couldn't recognize her because the character model looks like so much dirt was rubbed on it that I couldn't find her. It makes it worst that she's in a room directly on your path to the exit, I thought she was just some random redshirt. Then I get bitched at for not saving the damsel and get irritated at the character models even more. A short, fixed camera or focus would have been nice.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I actually think Tomb Raider 2013 managed to hit a good middle ground with this. They gave the player control while keeping the action and explosions in your line of sight. And when they did take control away, it was for a short amount of time and usually came right after a rather mashy quicktime event to give you a slight reprieve.

I think when used right, taking away a bit of control for a small amount of time can be nice. It's just when overused or poorly used that it becomes a less of a game and more of a movie. Even worse is when the characters you're playing get to do way more cool stuff like surfing on their swords to kill demons or having awesome aerial battles or just do stuff you never get to do. I'm looking at you MGS4 and every Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy ever.