"Self-Healing" Microchips Bring Us Closer to The Robot Apocalypse

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
First the cloud mind and now this? We're doomed.
It'll be pretty cool to see this when i's finally applied to normal stuff. See what little problems it fixes. :D

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
There sure is a bunch of articles recently detailing how robots will be able to keep going if say...there was some resistance damaging them. Pretty sure we are in trouble and its 100% our own fault.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
As far as I can tell, they aren't capable of repairing themselves. They can just figure out how to survive without the damaged parts. The double-tap rule should deal with such advancements.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
saintdane05 said:
God Damn it, we all know what will happen...
<youtube=AyenRCJ_4Ww>
Im glad I was not the only person thinking that. Luckily though we know their weakness - the M1 Thompson with drum magazine. ;)

<youtube=7OCKDEdtWys>

Mar 30, 2010
So, hang on...

First <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.403058-Engineers-Launch-Cloud-Based-Collective-Brain-for-Robots>this then this?

The

Jan 24, 2012
It's like that medi-gel that was talked about a few days ago... but for computers.

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
Daaaah Whoosh said:
As far as I can tell, they aren't capable of repairing themselves. They can just figure out how to survive without the damaged parts. The double-tap rule should deal with such advancements.
Also since it's a repair chip monitoring another chip, there's no repair chip to repair the repair chip when it croaks. Unless they stack that sh*t all over the chip.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
<youtube=6ziKnyvBZks>

Go home, science. You're high on bath salts and you're playing around with a lever labeled 'END HUMANITY' right above it.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I dunno... what if it heals incorrectly? Wouldn't it be better to just have your CPU fail altogether instead of possibly healing incorrectly and bricking your motherboard or hard drive?

Guys, if a robot uprising occurred, don't you think they'd invent these technologies for themselves even if we hadn't?

The thing about robots is that they wouldn't be impeded by the kinds of handicaps we have: politicians, pundits, lawyers, marketers, journalists, etc. They'd outperform us technologically, wipe the floor with us after we picked a fight with them, and then go on to do all the stuff that we geeks would already be doing if we were similarly unburdened.

In a way, they'd be the children who get to build a life for themselves better than what we ever could. Isn't that a good thing?

Aug 31, 2012
Yeah, this is more like rerouting traffic to avoid a broken bridge. Damn clever though, they do a better job of it than our traffic control systems do, I've yet to see a jam sorted out in 0.8 seconds :p