Richard Garriott Explains Why He Needs a $1 Million Kickstarter

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Richard Garriott Explains Why He Needs a $1 Million Kickstarter

Richard "Lord British" Garriott is fed up with videogame publishers, and wants the players to take their place for his upcoming online RPG, Shroud of the Avatar.

Ultima creator Richard "Lord British" Garriott once paid $30 million from his personal finances to become the sixth ever "space tourist." $1 million seems like it would be a drop in the bucket for the game design legend, so why is he asking Kickstarter backers to foot the bill? Garriott explains to PC Games N [http://www.pcgamesn.com/why-does-richard-space-garriott-need-kickstarter-project-anyway] that it's more about the developer-backer relationship than the money.

First, Garriott assures us that he has poured millions of dollars from his personal fortune into getting his company, Portalarium, off the ground. He says that Portalarium is "only trying to raise about one million dollars through this crowdfunding campaign," and the reason is not because it necessarily needs the money, but because Garriott doesn't want to be held accountable to a publisher.

"As I reflect on my own career, each of the times that we have forged a deep relationship with another publisher, those very next games are the games that have shipped the least well, shall we say?" Instead, Garriott wants the players themselves to take the place of publishers in the development process. Garriott says that signing with a publisher means you become slaves to them, rather than the audience. He'd instead rather that his players themselves become his "task-masters" for his next project.

"You become slaves to your publisher as opposed to slaves to the audience and we're trying to make sure that the task master we are listening to - starting them early and getting them into these alphas and betas - is the player, and not the publisher."

While Garriott says that the $1 million will be put to good use for the game's development, the Kickstarter is more of a "self-selection process." "By embracing [the core audience] and bringing them into the development process, it lets us suss out a lot of problems," he said.

Shroud of the Avatar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122584-Lord-British-Presents-Shroud-of-the-Avatar] has raised $730,000 USD at time of writing. It is set to be an "MMO-lite," with a persistent world and a focus on questing in small groups. It is the spiritual successor to the Ultima series.

Source & Image: PC Games N [http://www.pcgamesn.com/why-does-richard-space-garriott-need-kickstarter-project-anyway]

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
If he's put millions of his own money into the project, probably the bigger motivation of the campaign is to raise awareness.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
whatever Garriott; considering you've done absolute jack of note for the last fifteen years and have also had projects flop spectacularly you can't say it's the publishers' fault that you haven't lit the world on fire

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Y'know... I've supported a very select few kickstarters I deemed worthy in the pursuit of human interests - like Allison's operation from EC, for example. A ridiculously wealthy man with a business and... all this guy has, and he's going to get a million dollars from people...

I have some student loans that will cripple me for life y'all could pay off if you get to hankering after throwing your money at people. Just saying.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
How stupid doers he think we are? Oh right very stupid and looking at the Kickstarter he's probably right. If he doesn't want the money he doesn't need a publisher at all, if all he wants is exposure then surely a lower amount and no upper tiers would do that. He wants to be treated like a charity case and has worked out people are stupid enough to do so.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
Did anyone crack curiosity yet?
That was Peter Molyneux's idea.

My guess is that he picked one million as a nice round number for 'awareness campaign' Kickstarter.

Captcha: hand over fist

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Grabehn said:
After the Tabula Rasa thing I just wouldn've give him money for shit.
I would think that Tabula Rasa is exactly why he is so leery of being beholden to a publisher now.

The game wasn't perfect by any means, but NCSoft are, I feel, more responsible for it failure than Garriott is.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Ultima[/I] series.
Didn't theUltima series end really badly? Was Lord British responsible for that or was it somene else?

Ultima IX keeps coming up as a worse betrayal than Mass Effect 3 after all.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
kailus13 said:
Didn't theUltima series end really badly? Was Lord British responsible for that or was it somene else?

Ultima IX keeps coming up as a worse betrayal than Mass Effect 3 after all.
He didn't work on the final version of Ultima IX at all, as I understand it. EA owned Origin for that one, and they didn't really give a crap about Ultima IX since Ultima Online was going to make them more money.

And it was most definitely worse than Mass Effect 3. ME3 is 30 hours of gold and 5 minutes of crap (or in the extended cut, 5 minutes of "eh, it's alright I guess"). Ultima IX has pretty much no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Dull gameplay, offensive story down to pretty much every line of dialogue, and the thing barely works at all.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Yes, yes that's very nic- Spiritual successor to the Ultima series? Well then, why didn't you just say that to begin with. Take my money then. /sarcasm

That aside, I'm looking forward to playing an online Ultima game again.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Oh look another multimillionaire wants free money and other news water is wet. These guys are taking the mickey, if you can afford to spend $30 million on a holidayer you can afford to spend the money to self publish.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Three words mister garriot "Ultima Fucking Nine". I still remember his smug little post after patch 3 about how the game was complete and no more patches would be released. Pagan was bad enough but Nine was an insult to every Ultima fan around. I'm not even going to go near the fiasco that was Tabula Rasa. garriot might have had it once but that was nearly twenty years ago, he's a fossil, a relic whose doesnt realise the gaming world in general doesnt give two cents for him and his crappy new game.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
When Richard Garriott actually has full control of the design process of the game hes involved in. Its usually pretty damn good. The last actual game he had that level of control with was Ultima 7 Part 2 Serpent Isle. Ultima 8 and 9 were made under EA's "leadership". Tabula Rasa was again a situation where his control and input were by no means more powerful than the publisher he was working for. I look forward to seeing this develop.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Isn't it nice to be rich enough that you feel like you can ask for $1 million for the sake of the 'relationship'