Final Battlefield 3 DLC Requires Additional 1.92GB Patch

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Final Battlefield 3 DLC Requires Additional 1.92GB Patch

We hope you've got a ton of extra hard drive space on your Xbox 360, because the new End Game DLC for Battlefield 3 will require an additional 1.92GB patch right out of the box.

Here's the situation: You're a huge fan of EA's Battlefield series. You've been playing the franchise's games since Battlefield 1942, and you couldn't wait for today to roll around because it marks the debut of what is supposedly the final DLC pack for Battlefield 3. So, you fire up your Xbox 360, download the aptly-named End Game DLC and settle in to enjoy the muted horrors of virtual war. But wait! There's a problem! Your console is telling you that you don't have all the required files! Yes, you did download the entirety of the End Game DLC, but before you can enjoy your new content you also must pull down a 1.92GB patch for the game.

Dubbed "Multiplayer Update 6," the patch purportedly serves to streamline game functionality, excise files that Battlefield 3 no longer needs and improve overall performance. At least, that's what little we've been able to glean from official documentation. That nearly 2GB patch size implies that there are lots of things going on within the update, but when we attempted to contact EA to ask exactly what the patch does that the End Game DLC itself doesn't, we were met with a surprising "no comment."

Not that we expect a conspiracy here or anything. The purpose of this story is merely to let you all know ahead of time that when you next attempt to play Battlefield 3 you may need to download Multiplayer Update 6. The good news here is that if you're sitting at work, contemplating all of this, you can queue up the patch download by visit Xbox.com [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Battlefield-3-Multiplayer-Update-6/8470d897-0f79-4ab3-b5dc-6ce6af653723?downloadType=GameAddon&noSplash=1].

On the other hand, if you're only interested in playing the Battlefield 3 singleplayer campaign, you can ignore everything I've written above. Then again, if you're still only playing Battlefield 3 as a solo experience you may want to rethink your choice of games.

Source: @majornelson [https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/311469445585436672]

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
That would be because basically the entire End Game dlc is included in that patch. I have seen it happen with a few different games that have multiplayer.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Only 2GB?!

Us PCc oiks had to put up with 6GB on Friday, then 4.5GB today! What the hell are we downloading that the rest of you aren't? Texture files aren't that big.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
If you are a huge fan of Battlefield and have been playing since 1942 was released, you aren't playing on an Xbox. You are playing the proper version with 64 players.

Aug 1, 2010
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Didn't every DLC come with at least a 1 GB patch?
Yep.

At this point, I'm fully convinced the "patch" is actually the DLC in question, but doesn't unlock until you pay.

Especially since, as far as I remember, the file you buy is under a megabyte of data, which makes sense for a digital key.

Doesn't forced on-HD dlc seem like the sort of thing EA would do?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Didn't every DLC come with at least a 1 GB patch?
Pretty much. Still, fucking annoying. Seriously, battlefield will be taking up 15 GB of my hard drive once this happens. And it probably won't for a while, because my download speed sucks.

I'm seriously doubtful of whether it really needs that much space. Sure, battlefield maps are massive, but sweet jesus, didn't this ever cross their minds as a practical issue that battlefield needs such a massive amount of your hard drive!?

mezorin

Jan 9, 2007
Anyone want to take bets how long it will take before the PC version of this patch is once again hacked, then we must wait for another 2 gig omni patch to get that fixed? Oh wait, this is the last DLC so we're stuck with it.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe it is software that turns Xbox 360's into SimCity servers? Could be how they're fixing the current plague of errors EA have created.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Didn't BC2 have similar file sizes for their MP updates? It's not that bad... If you have the 250 gig xbox.