World of Tanks Sets Record For Most Players on a Single Server

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
World of Tanks Sets Record For Most Players on a Single Server

"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."

Belarusian MMO, World of Tanks, has staked out its place in gaming history by securing the Guinness World Record for the most players logged onto a single MMO server. On the 21st of January, 2013, the freemium game managed to entice some 190,541 players onto its RU2 server, smashing the game's previous world record of 91,311 concurrent players.

Andrei Yarantsau, VP of Global Operations at Wargaming.net, called the record "an important and exciting milestone for the company," adding that, "if World of Tanks keeps growing at the rate it is, the game will soon top the current total and secure another world record."

While World of Tanks remains a relatively small fish in the MMO ocean, it's seen impressive growth over the past two years. It currently sits at some 45,000,000 registered players worldwide, and earlier this month it reached a personal best of 800,000 concurrent players across all its servers.

"Wargaming.net is grateful to all of the virtual tank commanders of World of Tanks!" reads an announcement on the game's official site. "There's no way this record would have ever been set without you, our players. Roll out!"

Source: Official Site [http://worldoftanks.com/news/2120-world-tanks-sets-new-guinness-world-record/]

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
I wonder what the definitions of a "server" and an "MMO" is in regards to that. 190.5k seems ridiculously low for what afaik is a cluster not a single server. It's also a lobby-based game, not an MMO in the strictest sense ...

Fishy, but obviously kudos to them for being credited for this.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Considering all of this is happening in completely separate 15v15 matches I can't say I'm impressed.

EVE Online is the only game that can by fair rights hold this title. It's the only game that has tens of thousands of player concurrently on the same server, all capable of interacting with each other.

I don't even think World of Tanks can be called a MMO. It's as much a MMO as Battlefield is, which is to say not at all.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Kinda gets less impressive when you know WoT is less of an MMO and more of a TPS with a graphical Lobby. I wonder what the actual ratio of "Players actually playing:players in Lobby" was.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Aeshi said:
Kinda gets less impressive when you know WoT is less of an MMO and more of a TPS with a graphical Lobby. I wonder what the actual ratio of "Players actually playing:players in Lobby" was.
Matchmaking quite literally takes a second or two once you click battle to find you a game and place you in one. Most of them were probably playing.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
One hundred ninety thousand tanks...do we have that many here, on Earth? Imagine if they all went to China and fired their guns at once...

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
Combustion Kevin said:
it was a great day for artillery, there was no "miss".
Yep.
Bet it cos wargaming are poo-pooing them self's at War Thunder. Will be interesting when WarThunder add its tanks and ship's.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
o7

I am a proud tank destroyer commander and my German guns thirst for blood! :D

I enjoy the game maybe a little too much but I've always loved armor. Looking into War Thunder though.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
While I don't really regard World of Tanks as an "MMO" (battles consist of 15 vs 15 matches), it's still an impressive feat.

Now if only the game would become more popular over here in North America. Player count on the NA server hovers anywhere around 5-15k on a typical day.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Hagi said:
Considering all of this is happening in completely separate 15v15 matches I can't say I'm impressed.

EVE Online is the only game that can by fair rights hold this title. It's the only game that has tens of thousands of player concurrently on the same server, all capable of interacting with each other.

I don't even think World of Tanks can be called a MMO. It's as much a MMO as Battlefield is, which is to say not at all.
Sure, they may only be doing 15vs15 matches, but the players are still connected to the same matchmaking server. Each server then keeps track of all the matches played in it and updates a world map that shows you what regions each group controls. That's what's giving it its MMO status. The fact that they could maintain a server with close to two hundred thousand players, at the same time, is pretty impressive.

Eve is impressive on the grounds that it maintains only a single server, where all the players, that are logged on can interact with each other. EVE has about half a million subscribers and their all time high is close to 50.000 players, all logged on at the same time.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
Amazing! Using servers that actually work!
Now just sit back and wait for EA to buy them out.
But EA don't believe in servers!

Is having 45 million users considered small? Didn't WoW only manage 11 million?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It seems to me that they are getting this record by Guiness not really understanding technology. These guys aren't really all co-existing in the same virtual space at once. Technically by these standards I'd imagine something like say the old service "Prodigy" and it's games like "Mad Maze" probably beat them ages ago since I'd imagine those services would have counted as one entity for these purposes, but nobody was tracking it. Of course that could be my own technological ignorance because to be honest I'm not 100% sure how they managed to operate those services (Prodigy, PC Link, America Online, Q-link, etc...).

That said, "World Of Tanks" seems to be doing well, but sadly it's not really my type of game.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Hagi said:

There are a lot of people all playing each other online. Massive, multiplayer, online. The genre can be extended to every game that is either multiplayer only or with a heavy multiplayer focus. Aspects of progression are also important and should be considered.