Ouya Will Launch Without Community Features

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012

The Android-powered cube won't support chat, friend lists or achievements until later this year.

Ouya backers can expect to receive the console that they invested in all those months ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118375-Update-Open-Source-Android-Console-Fully-Funded-with-1-Million] within a couple of weeks, although they may find that they won't be able to use all of its promised functions straight out of the box. An Ouya representative revealed that several of the Ouya's online features aren't going to be available until sometime this year.

An Ouya representative stated that online chat, friends list, and achievements will be coming to the console later in 2013. This clarifies an earlier comment made by company founder Julie Uhrman, who said that the company was "locking content behind servers", suggesting that the device wouldn't support online multiplayer games at release.

The representative confirmed that this wasn't the case. "We will definitely be supporting online multiplayer - developers just need to build in the functionality," the representative said.

Speaking at SXSW in Austin, Texas, Uhrman added that the console still allows several players to game on a single console, if the game provides that option. "I think Ouya is going to bring back couch play," she says.

The company has already started March 28th [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122574-Ouya-Now-Accepting-Game-Submissions-Ahead-of-Launch].

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/11/4090408/ouya-julie-uhrman-sxsw-2013]

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
So actually only 3 of the least important features will come later and you put up a title suggesting everything will be missing, well done there...

Edit: Glad to see someone is listening

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Mr.K. said:
So actually only 3 of the least important features will come later and you put up a title suggesting everything will be missing, well done there...
I agree, a better title would be 'Ouya Will Launch Without Community Features.'

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
So it launches with online features, just not community or social features. Title is rather misleading.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Yeah, that's a significant difference. The Ouya is android based and doesn't use physical media at all[footnote]unless you count SD cards and thumb drives as media, rather than storage[/footnote] -- if it had no online features, it would be totally useless out of the box.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
So the missing stuff is just a bunch of useless shit?

No worries. Wonder when it'll ship to Europe.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Mr.K. said:
Yeah, that's a significant difference. The Ouya is android based and doesn't use physical media at all[footnote]unless you count SD cards and thumb drives as media, rather than storage[/footnote] -- if it had no online features, it would be totally useless out of the box.
itchcrotch said:
*in big booming voice* I AM NOT BOTHERED BY THIS IN THE SLIGHTEST!
Genocidicles said:

Glad to see my fellow single-player campaign enthusiasts are in agreement

Couldn't care less about tweeting my game stats

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Zombie_Moogle said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Mr.K. said:
itchcrotch said:
Genocidicles said:

Oh, actually, I'm a huge multiplayer enthusiast, and I even have a Raptr account that lets all my facebook friends know when I've been playing games on my PC[footnote]shut up, it gets me prizes and tracks how much of a loser I am. I'm in the top 10% of players for several games, and by top 10%, I mean I've wasted more of my life on them than all but 10% of the other players using the service :p[/footnote]. I still agree that this is a much smaller deal than the title would imply. Multiplayer isn't even disabled, just achievements and out of game chat. Also friends lists, but I can't say I've ever played an android based online multiplayer game that used matchmaking anyway -- dedicated servers are where it's at.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Achievements are nice but hardly neccesary. In some cases they can actively detract from the game.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
So they're giving it to the people that already paid for it even though some of the software isn't quite finished so they can use it as soon as possible? Sounds good to me.

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Ed130 said:
Mr.K. said:
Fair call, I've updated the title to better reflect this. Thanks for calling this out

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Timothy Chang said:
Ed130 said:
Mr.K. said:
Fair call, I've updated the title to better reflect this. Thanks for calling this out
Wow.

Kudos to you for changing the headline.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Zombie_Moogle said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Mr.K. said:
itchcrotch said:
Genocidicles said:

Agreed. I won't mind if they don't bother with community stuff at all. The less they do to encourage developers to shoehorn multiplayer into everything, the happier I'll be.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Timothy Chang said:
Speaking at SXSW in Austin, Texas, Uhrman added that the console still allows several players to game on a single console, if the game provides that option. "I think Ouya is going to bring back couch play," she says.

Bring back couch play? Did I miss something? Last time I checked (yesterday) I could, in fact, sit in my couch, playing games displayed on my television.
Anyway, I'm curious about what the future will bring for this console because I honestly have now idea how the market will react to this.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Reynaert said:
Bring back couch play? Did I miss something? Last time I checked (yesterday) I could, in fact, sit in my couch, playing games displayed on my television.
Couch play as in local multiplayer, which is sorely lacking from most multiplayer games nowadays.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Genocidicles said:
Couch play as in local multiplayer, which is sorely lacking from most multiplayer games nowadays.
There are some (party) games out there with local multiplayer. Fighting games (Mario Bros. Smash and PSASBR come to mind) and karting games usually have local multiplayer and are party-friendly. A nice local multiplayer shooter like Time Splitters once was (still is I suppose), would be nice to see though.