The Witcher 3 Exterminates Loading Screens

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Witcher 3 Exterminates Loading Screens

Even with large, detailed environments, loading times may be a thing of the past.

Whether you're taking your first tentative steps into a game's first dungeon or rushing towards an action-packed finale, nothing kills the sense of immersion like a 30-second loading screen that brings gameplay to a grinding halt. It's a necessary evil as old as gaming itself, but that may not be the case for much longer. CD Projekt RED, developers of the The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, boast that their upcoming game won't be bogged down by long loading times - or any loading screens at all.

Pawel Sasko, quest designer for Wild Hunt, confirmed that Geralt's monster-hunting career won't be interrupted by hardware limitations. "Players will be able to traverse the world of The Witcher 3 with no load times thanks to our software and the availability of more powerful hardware by the time of release," he claimed. The "powerful hardware" in question likely refers to the processing capabilities of the PlayStation 4, though it's hard to guess how well the promise will hold up on older PCs. CD Projekt has previously estimated that The Witcher 3's game world will be roughly 20% larger than that of Skyrim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121900-The-White-Wolf-Returns-in-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt], so realizing that much content without resorting to loading screens would be quite a technical feat.

The increase in technological power that the next generation of consoles will bring has more than just CD Projekt excited. Ubisoft hopes to harness the capabilities of new consoles to achieve the same zero-load-time benchmark with their upcoming Assassin's Creed IV, which also aims for seamless free-roaming. It's anyone's guess as to how exactly these software magicians are going to completely eliminate waiting times - after all, new game data has to be loaded in at some point - but next-gen consoles probably provide an attractive set of new tools for them to experiment with. Whether we'll notice these shortcuts (through an abundance of pop-ins or something similar) remains to be seen.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is set to release on the PlayStation 4 and PC, and will likely make its way to Microsoft's next console as well.

Source: Examiner [http://www.examiner.com/article/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-will-have-zero-loading-times]

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Sounds good, though I remember Witcher 2 not having many loading screens either. IIRC just moving into different buildings required a loading screen.

Anyway, now I just need to buy/steal a military supercomputer so I'll be able to run it :D

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
'Slays' would have been a better word to use than 'exterminates'...just sayin'.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Of course, computers run on magic fairy dust that allows everything to be loaded instantaneously. Ultimately, the slowest piece of hardware on nearly every machine is the HDD without resorting to RAID. Consoles have it worst as they mainly run off the disc which is even slower.

I'll believe it when I see it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well I think 8GB of DDR5 RAM for the PS4 might go along way. Lots of possibilities for developers to attribute power in the right places, and compromise where need be. It'll make optimisation that much easier.

Texture pop ins really piss me off, more so than loading screens for damn sure. So they better not let that happen.

Either way, I'm very excited for this game.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
Fursnake said:
I was kinda hoping they might have had Daleks involved, cause you know..... daleks can 'exterminate' anything.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Gammayun said:
Fursnake said:
I was kinda hoping they might have had Daleks involved, cause you know..... daleks can 'exterminate' anything.
That would make for one weird and..."interesting" crossover.

Sep 14, 2009
to be honest i was fine with how they handled it in the witcher 2 when going out of the cities in those "inbetween" wall sections, didn't break immersion and was quite fast (at least on my pc)

still, if it ends up being faster than that, then even better, just saying that the witcher 2 handled it better than alot of games for the most part.

Captcha: pie are squared..

is the pie really squared, or are you referring to the area of a circle captcha>!?!?! I MUST KNOW.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
30 second load screens haven't been a necessary evil for a few years now, but the byproduct of lazy design. Careful use of RAM and asynchronous loading CAN prevent this.

P.S. Thanks

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I'm guessing that they mean loading times between areas, which means that there will probably be a loading screen when you start a new game or load a save before playing the game.

Perhaps they'll make it a 64-bit native program, which means that they'll be able to load much more data into the memory at once. That means that us PC gamers will get out first 64-bit only game.

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
Ah man, I haven't seen this kind of technical innovation since the Jak and Daxter series!

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
For an open world of this size, it's pretty impressive. It's not necessarily a new thing, given that (IIRC) Soul Reaver had no loading screens. It just started loading the next area of the game as you headed towards it. I think God of War tried to do the same thing but Kratos could sometimes outpace it, leading to a loading screen.

Still, in an open world of this size, this is pretty impressive and should be a great boon for our immersion.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Finally, the greatest Advancement in Video Gaming since........ sliced bread! :D

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
If the industry worked that way we'd all be playing games that have no loading times and the graphics of 10 years ago today.

Yes more RAM and such can help reduce loading times, but usually that extra power goes into extra details instead.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I think my pc is going to be feeling the burn with this game. I guess its is possible I remember The Witcher 2 not having many loading screens except for moving between interiors and some quick on the fly loading in certain areas, and it as certainly been done in the past generation of consoles and pc.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Even on my current gaming rig where I only got 20 FPS for the Witcher 2, I saw a lack of loading screens in the game proper. Let's see where CD Projekt Red goes with this, it certainly sounds interesting.