Road Rash Creator Hopes To Revive The Franchise

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Road Rash Creator Hopes To Revive The Franchise

Dan Geisler, creator of the classic racing-combat game Road Rash would like to resurrect his magnum opus, assuming fans are interested in the idea.

Yesterday a Reddit user going by the nom de internet "kybobs" posted a thread to the site asking why the Road Rash franchise has seemingly vanished from the gaming industry. Much to kybobs' surprise, his question was answered by none other than Dan Geisler, the man who created the series in the first place. Though Geisler was unable to explain the legal and technical issues preventing the creation of a new Road Rash title, he did offer fans a glimmer of hope for the future of the franchise.

"[Road Rash] hasn't resurfaced because I was burned out after Road Rash 3," Geisler writes. "But I'm ready to do another one now. I just needed 20 years off. I'm ready to make a better one now. I miss playing it too."

"If there is enough interest, Ill do a Kickstarter [fundraising drive] on it," Geisler adds.

Speaking as a child of the 90s who spent far too much time murdering my fellow racers at 90MPH with a well-placed taser blast to the ribs, this news is undeniably exciting. However, as we mentioned above, Geisler said nothing of the legal hurdles a new Road Rash title might face. The intellectual property of the series is owned by EA, which published the franchise in the first place. We don't know what Geisler's relationship with EA looks like, but it seems likely that to create a new Road Rash he'd need EA's permission.

Then again, his willingness to start a Kickstarter drive to fund the creation of the game indicates that Geisler has, at the very least, ready access to the IP and some level of clout that would allow him to pitch the concept to EA, if nothing else. That, combined with the usual complications of game development mean that the creation of a new Road Rash game might be difficult, and it could be years before we see the finished product -- if it ever emerges.

That said, forget cynicism. This is Road Rash we're talking about. As unlikely as a new game in the franchise might be once all the realistic factors are taken into consideration, we desperately want to see the series revived. The modern gaming landscape is sorely lacking in motorcycle racing games, particularly those in which you're rewarded for beating the stuffing out of your opponents with whichever makeshift weaponry you're most comfortable clubbing/stabbing/electrocuting people with at high speeds. Hopefully Geisler can make things work, as we can't even begin to imagine what a modern Road Rash might look like -- well, beyond the copious amounts of blood and almost certain inclusion of gorgeous motion blur effects anyway.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/comments/1a5dd3]

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
YES!

Road rash was possibly one of the first games I ever played. I'm ridiculously excited.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Count me down as interested. Especially if the music is as good as it was back then. Not to mention to ability to be far more ridiculous then before with the mechanics.

I'd love to hear that song with a band of real instruments.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
drisky said:
Count me down as interested. Especially if the music is as good as it was back then. Not to mention to ability to be far more ridiculous then before with the mechanics.

I'd love to hear that song with a band of real instruments.
Hell no. The chiptune must STAY! :mad:

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i would lift my EA boycott for this game. that being said, hey EA join me in the corner won't ou? ahemm...

EA, look you've done a lot for my gaming career. I know that these past few years have been rocky, and we haven't spoke since I caught you cheating with Colored Space Magic, but this bigger than us, EA. look, i said some things, you said some things, i broke some discs, you ruined some franchises... the point is, we need to move on. and i think the first step is you allowing this Road Rash thing to happen. without microtransactions.

EA could use some good-will right now. now is the time for fan service. without microtransactions.

no seriously... NO MICROTRANSACTIONS.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Oh hell yes! I've had a nightmare with this game recently. I found out a few months ago that my original disk has died of old age and possibly overuse, and finding a copy for the PS1 resulted in weeks of ebay crawling. It was so good playing it again since it was the first EVER game I played on a console as a child, and the news that the creator is still knocking about makes me very happy :)

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
NO MICROTRANSACTIONS.
If there's an opportunity to make people part with cash for the Wild Thing 4000, you better bet your ass EA will take it.

Also, if this new game happens it'll be beyond awesome.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
It would be great if he can keep EA's hands off of it. But I don't see that happening. Another lost opportunity.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I played the on the computer with "realistic" graphics and FMV cutscenes....

damn that was a really fun game!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Have you guys seen this pre-visualisation?

<youtube=tvHz2u-33Y4>

OT: Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Fuck yea! It needs to have a soundtrack by indie rock/metal bands like the last one and keep that tongue-in-cheek tone like always.

If it's funded by any of the big publishers, it'll be a safe bet the game and franchise will be ruined. So I hope the kickstarter works.

Sorry guys, the 3D versions were inferior