PlayStation Vita Outsells 3DS in Japan

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
PlayStation Vita Outsells 3DS in Japan

Vita sales have continued to improve following a region-specific hardware price drop.

After a year of struggling and Vita sales in the region quadrupled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121979-Sony-Cuts-Vita-Sales-Predictions]. As of last week, the Vita hasn't lost its post-price drop momentum; Sony's handheld sold 63,581 units, putting it ahead of the Nintendo 3DS.

Vita sales were probably helped by last week's Japanese release of Tales of Hearts R, which followed Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus and Phantasy Star Online 2 the week of the price drop. Considering the Vita sold less than 12,000 units the week before Sony slashed its price, the new sales numbers must be encouraging for Sony, though the publisher hasn't announced a price cut for any other region.

A worldwide price cut for a system that's still relatively new wouldn't be unheard of; Nintendo cut the 3DS launch price after just a few months due to slow sales, which yielded positive results [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121419-3DS-Sells-10-Million-Units-in-Japan]. Sony did the same with its $500 and $600 PS3 launch models, and seven years later PS3 sales have been healthy. The Vita is a great piece of hardware, so it's nice to see it doing better, even if it is only in Japan; perhaps this will encourage Sony to drop the handheld's price universally.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20130313072/]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
EU Price cut now please Sony. It's clearly working this basic economic principle of lower price = higher demand.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Well now they can do it for the rest of the world.

Top end PS3 (the new 500GB) = £230
Top end Vita with the best memory card (3G and 32GB) = £310

I mean seriously. The PS3 is stronger, has more memory, more online features, can play blu-ray's and a larger gaming selection and is around £80 cheaper.

I like some of the releases on the Vita, but at that price I can't justify it.

Justin Smith

May 13, 2010
Great.
Now
- Bring the price cut to the us.
- Give me a U.I option that I can take seriously.
- Release some actual games on it.
- Drop prices on those memory cards
Then I will get one.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Make sure Tales of Hearts is released here and I will buy your Vita. Until then I don't even care about a price drop.

It is good to see them getting some success, I had high expectations for the Vita, but I didn't want to buy one in fear it might fail. I already got a 3DS already, but if the right titles come (Tale of Hearts) are released, then we'll see.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
great for sony

they're gonna need everything they can get before the summer

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Lets face it, we all know the real reason it sold more right now.

*cough* Persona 4 GOLDEN *COUGH*

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It got a temporary surge with both the price cut and that a game that's big for Japan came out. Good for Sony. The real issue is if they can keep it up. I'm optimistic. I think them outselling the 3DS isn't going to happen again for a while, but it's probably past its "Worst week ever for consecutive weeks" phase.

Still, one looks to the future. 3DS has quite the line-up... Vita, not quite so much...