Saints Row IV Takes You "From the Crack House to the White House"

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Saints Row IV Takes You "From the Crack House to the White House"

The Third Street Saints will be wreaking havoc again in August's Saints Row IV.

The fact that Saints Row IV has been in development at former THQ studio Volition isn't really a secret. THQ's last president Jason Rubin acquisition of Volition by Deep Silver [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118010-Enter-the-Dominatrix-Pulls-Out-of-Saints-Row-The-Third] haven't affected that release window: Volition's new parent company has announced that Saints Row IV is coming to North America on August 20, 2013. The worldwide release will follow three days later on August 23.

[tweet t="https://twitter.com/SaintsRow/status/312550310096809986"]

The news was posted on Twitter, with the accompanying teaser trailer posted to Deep Silver's Youtube account. The accompanying text gives a brief description of what to expect: "From the Crack House to the White House... The ball-busting next chapter in the Saints Row franchise is starting a party in your pants this August." The video has plenty of the series' trademark quirkiness, like offbeat weapons and vehicles, scantily clad men and women, and bizarre costumes.

Saints Row: The Third was met with critical acclaim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9221-Saints-Row-The-Third-Review] when it launched in late 2011, cementing it as one of THQ's flagship series. Sadly, THQ is gone forever, but at least the Third Street Saints live on.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Can't wait :D

And it looks like it's going to be crazier than ever as well. Although I do hope that there are some moments of non-crazy stuff, just to balance it out a bit this time, as opposed to 3, where it was just "all crazy, all the time" which left it feeling a bit shallow.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Superpowers?
Fuck yes.

I just hope there's more customisation this time around.

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
I would be lying if I said SR3 didn't need more content. I loved that game but it needed more to keep it going, more clothes, missions, ect.

But at the same time, if this game is roughly the same size as the previous game I think I'd be very happy with that.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Oh goody! Can't wait! the good thing about this is that it's not all that hard to get wrong. after all, it's kinda dumb so if they mess up the story, i'll still be having tons of fun blowing stuff up.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Okay ... looking by the trailer.
Well I'm uncertain what it is trying to accomplish ... well with insanity, craziness and weirdness out of the way. XD

I'm going to buy it I'll say that much since I'm a HUGE fan of the series.
I just hope for a couple of things.

- More customization. (As most of you say. I think they lessened it a bit for 3. D:)
- A story more like 2.
- Better activities. (Throw out the boring ones used in every game ... COPS was awesome)
- A better map. (SR2 was varied, it had a university, suburbs, a beach and etc. SR3 was limited to city and a suburb or 2.)
- More brutal weapons. (I honestly expected the sword to do something like in SR2. :/)
- Buy-able pads.
- Better DLC.
- And etc.

I can keep going on and on about this but I still am going to buy it. >.<
I just hope that Deep Silver (Is that the new guys) will make it more of a perfect balance between Saints Row 2 and Saints Row: The Third.

And God help us if we get a kickass collectors edition like SR2. >:D

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Knew it would come. I'm already sold.
And that it looks more or less like SR3, visually, isn't a bad thing, either. First, this is probably from an earlier version, so there might be changes. AND SR3 was far from ugly. The overall asthetic were simply sweet.
The only bad thing is that - as far as I saw it in the trailer - there is only Steelport again (that it would come was kind of obvious after they added "Enter the Dominatrix" into 4). Which wouldn't be a bad thing, but it would be far more awesome to have Stillwater in it, too.

rhizhim said:
remember the good mix of comedy and drama in saints row 2?

yeah, fuck it. :p
I mostly remember it being a mess of a port for PC and that your character was just a a-hole.
Besides, if I want Drama in my Sandbox-Gangstergame, I got to GTA. If I want to go bonkers, I got to the Saints. Mixing those... might work in a crossover?

Desert Punk said:
Looks interesting, I hope it is a nice long campaign and doesnt show that it is an expansion pack turned full game
Maybe the Expansion-part of it will look like - but SR4 was from the very beginning a stand-alone game. Just late-summer of last year, they decided to ADD that thing into SR4.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
rhizhim said:
remember the good mix of comedy and drama in saints row 2?

yeah, fuck it. :p
yeah it was great wasn't it,

and thats why I'll be replaying Saint's Row II and avoiding this like the plague!

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
Bindal said:
if I want Drama in my Sandbox-Gangstergame, I got to GTA.
Exactly. I think that's what most people are missing. I wouldn't say I'm a huge Saints Row fan, I played II and "The Third," and I liked them both.

But sometimes it's fun to just do crazy shit that couldn't possibly ever happen. This is what I want to see in SR4.
Only thing I'm worried about is rushed development and/ or less customisation.

Captcha: How are you

Very fine, thank you Mr Captcha.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Jamaicob5 said:
But sometimes it's fun to just do crazy shit that couldn't possibly ever happen. This is what I want to see in SR4.
Only thing I'm worried about is rushed development and/ or less customisation.
I don't think, you have to worry much about that. There is a reason Deep Silver delayed the original release until September - so it wouldn't be rushed.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
The engine and design are looking very much like what was used in Saints Row The Third, but I'm down with this. I can't expect that Volition would have amiable deadlines, so I'm all in favour to them using old tech to fill in a good chunk of development time, allowing them to screw around with familiar tools and go nuts beyond their wildest ambitions. And I'd like to think that's all Saints Row is about after all: going nuts.

Best of luck to you Volition. I've got my fingers crossed for you.