Buy Marvel Heroes Premium Pack, Get Closed Beta

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Buy Marvel Heroes Premium Pack, Get Closed Beta

For the duration of this weekend, Gazillion Entertainment is offering discounts and bonuses for the Marvel-based MMO.

It's been a long time coming, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120223-NYCC-Marvel-Heroes-Preview>but the official Marvel Heroes MMO is finally nearing completion. After the concept was bounced between various development teams, the title will finally get a free-to-play launch under online games developer Gazillion Entertainment. Even better, the game features a story by Marvel scribe Brian Michael Bendis that looks like it can be completed in both single-player and group-based sessions. Still, just because Marvel Heroes is free-to-play doesn't mean Gazillion wouldn't like to make some money from it. In fact, Gazillion is even willing to put an early access offer on the table. From now until Sunday, any registered user who buys a Marvel Heroes Premium Pack will get a closed beta key access key the following week, along with the online beat-em-up action it entails.

Premium Packs are special compilations of experience, in-game currency, and Marvel character unlocks that can be snatched up in a single purchase. While Gazillion maintains that game content can still be unlocked in free-to-play mode, premium packs will allow players to quickly access heroes of their choosing for their immediate adventuring needs. Packs will include everything from the Avengers to the X-Men, and there's even a few costume sets like <a href=http://presale.marvelheroes.com/index.php/presale_en_us/the-armory-premium-pack.html>the complete Iron Man armor collection.

Each premium pack has a fairly steep price tag of $60, but players hoping for additional characters and early access might consider that a fair trade. Regardless, Gazillion is throwing in extra weekend deals to sweeten the pot, including a St. Patrick's Day-themed discount for all Founders Packs containing the Hulk. It's worth noting that beta access means beta quality, so any number of features could be changed in the final release. That said, at least you'd still get to keep <a href=http://presale.marvelheroes.com/index.php/presale_en_us/deadpool-s-very-own-premium-pack.html>that classy Deadpool character collection you've always been hoping for.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Bendis wrote this? I don't know if that's meant to be a selling point or not >.>

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
£40 for a character pack?

Yeah, I don't think so. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a comic book-related game, I'd rather take that £40 and spend it on Injustice when it comes out, thank you very much...

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Fappy said:
Bendis wrote this? I don't know if that's meant to be a selling point or not >.>
I'd argue that a story from the guy who single-handedly wrote almost every major Marvel event for a decade is probably a plus.

One may not like his style, but the man knows how to sell comics.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fanghawk said:
Fappy said:
I'd argue that a story from the guy who single-handedly wrote almost every major Marvel event for a decade is probably a plus.

One may not like his style, but the man knows how to sell comics.
It's definitely not a plus for those of us who didn't like a majority of those events, but I can see what you're getting at. Despite my grievances he's revitalized a lot of character/books over the years and he has plenty of fans. It's not like he can really write a crappier story than any of the other Marvel games out there already anyway XD

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
I'd advise against it. This is one of the messier betas I've participated in (and I'm a beta slut with half of the major western MMOS and nearly all popular MOBAs/online death match games under my belt), occasionally rambling backewards into alpha territory.

I also found the game a rather unsatisfactory Diablo-like experience (probably partially because of all the beta issues, but also sadly because what did work). Unlike games like Torchlight II (or even old classics like Titan Quest and Silverfall, and possible Path of the Exile, which atleast breaks new grounds in some strange areas), there seems to be little or no ambition to explore any new territory or offer anything beyond click to attack plus a few hotbar abilities, sparse and predictable levels and encounters, and repetitive progression. Talent trees are short (which is understandeable, given the number of heroes, but unfortunately still contributes to a less interesting experience), animations are stiff and anything but superheroic in style, and possibilities are few.

I know I would have said simlar things for many free-to-play games which eventually grew into very pleasant experiences, though, so I definitively don't think all hope is lost. But patience and abstinence might be the key not to have your Marvel Heroes experiences ruined.