Reclaim the Weekend

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Reclaim the Weekend

How is it that every weekend I go home with Grand Plans to play lots of games and, like my workdays, I end up doing Stuff that gets in the way of attaining my goals? You know what I mean ? at work, you plan to 1) Finish the planning document you?ve been trying to finish, 2) Finalize the design parameters of that new project that just came down the pipe, and 3) Write a proposal for a new feature to be added to the content network of which you are in charge. But, in reality, you ? answer dozens of emails, take a few phone calls and have a couple of meetings. At least, that?s how my days go.

It seems my weekends have taken this turn as well. I go home on Friday, pondering which game I will play and when. Instead, I end up doing things like cleaning or grocery shopping or sleeping some other equally lame activity. OK, so visiting or talking to family, and going out with friends isn?t lame. But still! I need to play ? for work! It?s for the cause!

So to these non-gaming weekends, I say, ?No more!? I am reclaiming this weekend. Games I shall play! I am pledging to you, my dear Readers and Friends, 20 hours of game time this weekend. This is to include time in which I am actively gaming and when I am actively watching another play. Yes, it will be tough, as I have plans to shop for a party planned for this Saturday evening, and I must hold down that pesky chaise out by the pool for a couple of hours ? wait I can take my Gameboy there ? but it this is something that must be done.

I say to any of you out there who have felt similarly, who have felt that the pulls and constraints of society and every day life have attempted to squash your gamer tendencies, join me. Play! Who?s with me?

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
The sentiment is not lost on me, but I'll have to fit in some time for movies. Snakes is out now, after all, and as a citizen of the Internet it is my patriotic duty to see that movie on opening weekend. I'll just have to fit it into my orgy of controller-mashing fury.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
I would love to be able to just say that I'm going to do something like this. Chances are when I walk out into the lounge room, my non-gamer housemates will be wasting precious hours watching stupid TV shows that they don't even want to watch. grrrrrrrrr.

Jeroen Stout

Aug 1, 2006
I haven't got any to play... don't have that many games I find play-worthy and the rest I've played so many times another go at them will just kill any sentiment left :)

No, I'll just keep on writing stories, drawing drawings and coding code. Eventually, I'll create a game in a few months that'll be one weekend to play through :D

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Sorry I didn't read this post earlier, but I was too busy gaming for 30 hours! That's right, 50% more than quota, people. This is just how committed I am to the cause of which I had no idea before this morning!

Freakin' zombies had it coming anyway. Team 360, you know who you are.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I got in about 20 hours. Maybe more. I lost count right around the point where I was having so much fun running down zombies in the humvee that I missed a main plot point and had to start over.

Protip: humvee + tunnel full of zombies = massive zombie carnage.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
OMG yes. Although replace "humvee" with "any automobile". It's like grief leveling on crack! But that's another thread :D

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
I've managed to get my ICO game clock up to about 6 hours now, about 10 songs through expert mode in guitar hero and I've put around 5 hours into curse of monkey island. old school! Probably gonna play through full throttle again when i'm done with MI.

I think I'm missing out on something great not having a 360. I just really dont have AUS$800 lying around to go pick one up. :(

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
I deleted my Dead Rising savegames! YAAAAY!! WOOOO!!

*places shotgun barrel in mouth*

Ghee yughoo onng ehh hhlip hide.