Warhammer 40K Strategy Game Headed To PC, iPad

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Warhammer 40K Strategy Game Headed To PC, iPad

Games Workshop and developer Slitherine Software UK Ltd. have announced plans to create an iPad and PC strategy title based on the former's beloved Warhammer 40K tabletop game.

Outside of Dungeons & Dragons, there are few tabletop games as old and well-loved as Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K. As a result, the blood-drenched, futuristic setting has spawned a number of videogame adaptations, the most popular of which would arguably be Relic Entertainment's squad-based strategy titles, Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War, its many expansion packs, and its similarly-named sequel. Hopefully you recall this abundance of Warhammer 40K-based titles fondly, as we're about to see a new one.

In a surprisingly uninformative announcement posted to the Slitherine forums, a company representative calling him or herself "Philkian" reveals a new agreement recently signed by Warhammer 40K rights holder Games Workshop and Slitherine which will produce a strategy game set within the venerable tabletop universe. A later comment by Philkian clarifies that the developer hopes to launch the title simultaneously on both the PC and iPad platforms.

What can we expect from this game? Well, that's something of a mystery. "Details of the deal including the content and features of the game have not yet been announced, but development is already underway on multiple platforms, involving the best talents in design and development available to the Slitherine Group," the announcement reads, before offering absolutely nothing further. We don't even have a vague release window, much less a solid release date, and while fans should find it heartening that the title is described as a "strategy" game, there are so many subgenres contained with that descriptor that this as-yet-untitled adaptation could go in any number of directions.

Still, there are few fanbases as rabid as that of Warhammer 40K. Normally we wouldn't bother reporting on an announcement so devoid of useful information, but in this case we've made an exception, if only to avoid legions of angry tabletop gamers storming Escapist HQ, multi-sided die in hand, and screaming for our collective blood in the unintelligible language of the Dark Eldar.

What we can say of this game is that Games Workshop has chosen a promising developer to create the latest adaptation of its most popular intellectual property. Though Slitherine's back catalogue of games is riddled with unimpressive titles like 2009's iOS-exclusive History: Ice Road Truckers and 2003's Chariots of War, the developer also publishes a tabletop strategy game known as Field of Glory. That alone isn't enough to guarantee the quality of Slitherine's latest project, but it does at least indicate that Slitherine is familiar with the nuances of tabletop gaming, and should have crucial insight into how best to adapt the expansive Warhammer 40K ruleset into videogame form.

Expect more information on this game as it emerges, and keep your fingers crossed that this project proves Slitherine's breakout hit. We'd hate to see what might happen if the company disappoints those rabid legions of Warhammer 40K fans.

Source: Slitherine Software [http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=41380#p388878]

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Huh. Hopefully this will turn out as well as the Space Hulk game is looking to be shaping up.

I'm really hoping the iOS port is a sign that it's going to be a turn-based game as well. I really liked Dawn of War and all, but I really felt the RTS mechanics were inferior for 40k.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
So its a whole new game, not sure what to make of that. I was hoping they where going to re-release an Android version of WH40k: Squad Command that came out on the PSP a number of years ago, it was a solid enough turn based game and should run on phones and tablets just fine.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I am getting a sense of deja vu...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.403503-Games-Workshop-Reveals-New-Warhammer-40k-Video-Game#16679680

I hope they use the opportunity to expand their addictive table-top game to the digital universe (like what Wizards did with Magic: The Gathering).

Aug 1, 2010
Sounds awesome.

One of the best things about 40k is its complexity. It's so deep and beautifully convoluted, only people who really know it and care about it can make content. Amazing quality control.
[sub/]except for that one guy we don't talk about....[/sub]

I just hope all the factions are playable. I WANT MY NECRONS DAMMIT.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
You know, it would be neat if they made a virtual version. It would be nice to be able to essentially play the tabletop game again,but without all the assembling and painting. Don't get me wrong, I loved that part of the hobby and my last army (1500 pts of Ork Speed Freeks) was converted and painted to the degree of most players showcase models. Sadly enough, I simply don't have the time to do that anymore, but I would still like to play the actual game.

Though it would suck immensely I you have to buy new ingame units through microtransactions. Especially if the charge Games Workshop prices.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
The only thing stopping me from getting into the tabletop Warhammer games was always the huge start-up investments. If this circumvents that, I'll be a happy, happy mahreen.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
What I want it to be is a modern day W40K Final Liberation. Give me that and I'll give you my wallet.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I really hope this isn't going to just be a digital version of 40k, a big part of 40k, for me, is painting the models so I'd have no reason to touch this if it is.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
I WANT MY NECRONS DAMMIT.
Iron bro fist.

Aug 1, 2010
BanicRhys said:
I really hope this isn't going to just be a digital version of 40k, a big part of 40k, for me, is painting the models so I'd have no reason to touch this if it is.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
I WANT MY NECRONS DAMMIT.
Iron bro fist.
The living shall know true fear before the end.

Unless Necrons aren't a faction.

In which the living will just throw a big party that we weren't invited to.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Colour me not that intrested for now.

I'll also repeat my statement "I would rather have a Dark Heresy style RPG"

Also: Best desktop wallpaper ever.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Ed130 said:
Colour me not that intrested for now.

I'll also repeat my statement "I would rather have a Dark Heresy style RPG"

I'm going to stand in the naughty corner now...........

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm hopeful, but not really. 40k games are rare. Granted they're usually good, Chaos Gate, Dawn of War, Space Marine(ignoring Fire Warrior), but there's alot of years between releases.
I'm hoping for like a Deathwatch RPG thing. I heard Bioware now owns the Space Marine IP(The video game, not the actual GW original). So maybe they'll make a 40k Mass Effect style RPG?