SimCity Apology Offers One Of Eight Free Games

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
SimCity Apology Offers One Of Eight Free Games

Still upset over the SimCity debacle? EA hopes to soothe your rage by offering a free copy of one of its recent hits.

At this point, I probably don't need to remind you all of the controversy that sprung up immediately following the release of SimCity, suffice to say that the game did not work as advertised on launch and many prospective fans were quite miffed, not only by their inability to play a title they'd shelled out their hard-earned cash for, but also by EA's response to the outrage. It was only a few days ago that the company officially acknowledged [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122732-EA-Admits-That-SimCity-Could-Have-Been-Offline] that it had made a grievous error in its handling of the situation, but now that everyone is on the same page the mega-publisher hopes to win back a bit of the fan affection it lost by handing out free copies of a number of its most popular, recent games.

This morning EA announced exactly which games would be employed in this mea culpa scheme. Have a look:

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor: Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

That's a solid list of undeniably good games, but you'll notice that many of them feature qualifiers reading "Standard Edition." This means that if you were to select, say, Battlefield 3, the version of the game you would receive for free would be the initial, launch version of the game. This includes none of the downloadable additions released following the game's launch. This is especially crucial to note in the case of games like Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 whose current incarnations consist largely of post-release DLC. Using Battlefield 3 as an ongoing example, if you were to walk into a GameStop right this minute you'd find two very different versions of the game sitting on store shelves, the Standard Edition and the Premium Edition. The latter includes all of the game's DLC content and is priced at $60, while the former does not and will only set you back $40 (or $20 if you opt for the pre-owned version). The iteration of Mass Effect 3 on offer features a similar scheme, only GameStop lists the Standard Edition of the game at a mere $20 brand new.

The key point here is that instead of offering its latest, greatest games which could only otherwise be had by shelling out full retail prices, EA is instead hoping to make up for its mishandling of SimCity by granting players free access to the least expensive versions of what are otherwise quality games. It's just a nice bonus for the company's bottom line if suddenly owning these free titles pushes players to purchase downloadable additions for the titles (of which there are many).

As a further caveat, players are only able to select the PC versions of the above-listed games, and will need to have a functional Origin account to download the free titles. Yes, before you ask, this makes the total cost of distribution shouldered by EA for this scheme effectively $0.

That said, these are still free games, and I'm not about to gaze into the abyssal maw of a gift horse. If you're still interested in picking up a free title, full instructions on how to redeem your gift are available on EA's support site. Assuming you've authenticated your copy of SimCity within Origin, once the promotion begins -- EA claims that "everyone worldwide will have access no later than 5:00PM PST on March 22 and will have until March 30 at 11:59PM PST to redeem" -- you need simply fire up the client to find a pop-up window with a link allowing you to select and download whichever one of those games you prefer. Say what you will of EA, but the company has made it exceedingly simple to take advantage of this free game offer.

Source: EA [https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-something-extra]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
If I buy SimCity right now will I basically get Dead Space 3 for free, or was it only for people who have previously authenticated their game?

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
Not really the best selection of games. I dislike FPSs and racing games and already own ME3, so the choice would be between Plants vs Zombies or SimCity 4 (which is great for the irony value).

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
This is the same stunt sony pulled after their snafu with the PSN hack; apologizing by offering free games, which, coincidentally, have sequels coming out next month. That's not an apology, that's salvaging the situation by salvaging some more money from your pockets. they could at least try being a bit more subtle about it. Hey, how about this? give away the full edition of quality games and generate some goodwill so that people will want to buy the next game you release? god knows you could use it...

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I've been looking at getting most wanted for awhile now, free sounds like a good price thanks EA *zoink*
Nghtgnt said:
Not really the best selection of games. I dislike FPSs and racing games and already own ME3, so the choice would be between Plants vs Zombies or SimCity 4 (which is great for the irony value).
As stated above, NFS: MW isn't a bad choice.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can't wait to hear about the dl servers going down from too many people downloading games.

Sep 14, 2009
I like that you saw both angles of this, as it clearly costs them zilch but gives them possible revenue by only giving out the basic editions of those games that generally have poop loads of DLC.

still, free is free i suppose, enjoy your free game simcity buyers!

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Last I checked Simcity 4 didn't work on windows 7. All the others seem like "buy our DLC!!!!" games.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Floppertje said:
This is the same stunt sony pulled after their snafu with the PSN hack; apologizing by offering free games, which, coincidentally, have sequels coming out next month.
Must have missed that Dead Nation sequel. Even the DLC didn't come out until I had beaten the game like four times.

Man, I should go look for that sequel.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
I'm waiting for EA to crash and burn. They clearly have a large "casual" audience that keep them ticking over buying the rehashed sport franchises over and over, the people who were surprised sim city turned out to be unplayable. Eventually though, even the least attentive customer is going to start to notice the massive shafting that comes with every EA game these days. At some point they are going to run out of customers. I'm sure as they go down they will be screaming about the filthy pirates and how they did EA in.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
synobal said:
Last I checked Simcity 4 didn't work on windows 7. All the others seem like "buy our DLC!!!!" games.
Never had issues with SimCity 3000 or 4 on Windows 7 64bit, unlike SimCity 2013 ironically....

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Okay, I've ruled these ones out:
Bejeweled 3 - I do not like bejeweled
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition) - Story driven, I did not finish (nor particularly like) the first one, haven't played 2.
Medal of Honor: Warfighter (Standard Edition) - This game is shit.
Plants vs. Zombies - Already have it on Steam
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition - Already have it on Steam

That leaves these:
Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (Standard Edition)

So which game should I choose? I haven't touched the Battlefield series except for Battlefield Heroes, which I liked. I haven't played any Dead Space games (do they need to be played in order?). I absolutely loved Burnout Paradise and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, but I'm concerned Need for Speed: Most Wanted might not have enough new to offer.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. >inb4 "you should choose to demand a refund hurr hurr", I already bought the game and I wouldn't even consider a refund if EA were offering 'em, on the off chance mods (or a new CEO) eventually fix it. This game may feel unfinished, but it's got a solid foundation that just needs DRM removal and fleshing out.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Kalezian said:
Worgen said:
I can't wait to hear about the dl servers going down from too many people downloading games.
"in response for the Origin Servers being unable to handle to unforseen demand for the free game EA has offered in lieu of the SimCity 2013 launch, EA has offered one free DLC pack for a game of your choice."

nah, would never happen, no one in EA has ever heard of free DLC.
*Looks at every single multiplayer for Mass Effect 3 being free*

They barely do it, but when backed into a corner they will use it.

OT: The only games I don't have that I am interested in are ironically SimCity 4 and possibly Dead Space 3, but I never played the first two.

God knows I would never want to get Warfighter.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
So in order to make up for EA's terrible service, they are allowing affected customers to suffer some more under ever more of their terribly serviced games with Origin. Nice.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Floppertje said:
This is the same stunt sony pulled after their snafu with the PSN hack; apologizing by offering free games, which, coincidentally, have sequels coming out next month.
Must have missed that Dead Nation sequel. Even the DLC didn't come out until I had beaten the game like four times.

Man, I should go look for that sequel.
alright, wipeout and dead nation didn't. but it's not like they were expensive to begin with so it hardly cost sony anything to give them away. you kinda missed the point there. Infamous, Little Big Planet and Ratchet & Clank were the only big titles they offerend and all three had sequels coming out in 2011. no way that's a coincidence.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
synobal said:
I willing to bet there is some way to get SC4 to work on Windows 7. EA maybe "Evil"(though I don't consider them so), but they aren't going to offer a free game that isn't going to work. If Origin doesn't give the person a patch that allows it to work on W7, I would say there is one out there on the Internets that will do the trick.

If I can play old DOS games on my PC, with a special free program(DOS BOX), then there is something out there for SC4.

On the second part:

Why can't people look at it from the normal perspective of, "At least I'm getting a FREE game out if it". Granted you won't get multiplayer, but you are perfectly able to play the single player without DLC.

People should be grateful EA gave them anything at all, cause EA didn't have to do jack. Though I keep forgetting that there are too many glass half empty people out there.

I actually wish I had bought SC5 when it launched, a minor bit of annoyance from my first purchase is an amazing price to get another game.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Worgen said:
Let's be honest here, half a dozen people would probably stress the Origin servers.