Hollywood Mulls Escape From New York Reboot Trilogy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hollywood Mulls Escape From New York Reboot Trilogy

Big-time Hollywood producer Joel Silver has a really terrible plan for the classic 80s action flick that includes a Snake Plissken origin story.

Snake Plissken - you may have heard of him. You may have heard he was dead. You may be hearing a lot more about him, too, if Joel Silver [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005428/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1] gets his way. Silver, who's been producing films since the late 70s and has a pretty amazing catalog of action flicks to his credit, reportedly wants to expand John Carpenter's classic Escape From New York into a trilogy, beginning with a Snake Plissken origin story and then presumably moving into a remake of the original film.

This is a terrible idea, not only because Escape From New York is essentially perfect as-is - it works as an action movie, a cheese-fest drinking game and a 98-percent-pure hotshot of the early 80s - but because there is simply no way you can replace the cast. Even if you could find someone to fill the shoes of Lee Van Cleef, Ernest Borgnine, Isaac Hayes, Adrienne Barbeau, Harry Dean Stanton and of course Donald "You Are The Duke of New York" Pleasence, you're just not going to come up with anyone - anyone - who can step in for Kurt Russell. I mean, this is a guy who makes Rambo look like a sissy, and you're going to give the role to, who, that guy who played Hawkeye? I know, I know - he's so dreamy!

And an origin story? Why? Snake is the kind of character who works better when you don't have all the details - you know he's done a lot of things and probably most of them were bad, yet there's a sense of soldier's honor to him too, even as he's utterly indifferent to the fate of the world. Why do we need anything more than that? I don't know what they did to Fresno Bob and I'm happier that way!

There's still a chance (and probably a likelihood) that this project will fizzle, but Silver appears to have the pull needed to make it happen if he really wants to. Let's hope he changes his mind.

Source: Badass Digest [http://badassdigest.com/2013/03/18/stupid-assholes-rebooting-escape-from-new-york-with-origin-story/]

eltonborges

Apr 25, 2008
There is a good chance that this project will be bad. And if that is the case, good for the fans! If they start wiith the "origins" thing and, if it sinks, bye bye remake. Or, at least, It will be much more difficult to finish it.
But I'm not desperate about it, some directors CAN make it good.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
This doesn't sound all that good.

They actually filmed that bank heist they talk about in the film, but cut it out because it didn't test well or something (I'd have to recheck). That was essentially a first act they removed, and the film has probably worked better for it.

Who cares about the time Plisken wasn't the badass we see in Escape From New York ? We like that Plisken. Stick the origin story where the suns radiation don't reach.

Which uncreative person came up with this reboot idea ?

Sure hope nobody will copy this verbatim. A Total Recall-style reboot... maybe they could do something good, but it won't and should not be the same "Call me Snake" and "My name is Plisken".

The film worked.

Man, couldn't they take some movie that didn't work so well and do a really good reboot of that ? Why do they pick good films that they're probably just going to screw up ?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
:/ I wonder what MovieBob and Hideo Kojima will have to say about this.

Probably; "D: Reboot Snake? Reboot Snake?! REBOOT SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!"

Yes, it could be good, but probably not.
Oh well. We'll see soon enough, I'm sure.

Captcha: in the cart

No, in the box. ;)

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
If you're going to remake a Kurt Russel movie I'd love to see Del Toro do a remake of Big Trouble in Little China.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I initially read the title of this article as HOLLYWOOD MULLETS ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK REBOOT TRILOGY. I had visions of Kurt Russell's mullet getting its own origin story, but alas not to be, the world is far too mundane for that.

On topic. Sorry without Kurt Russell its not going to work.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
rhizhim said:
Trilogy?

did i miss something or did i just walk in another dimension by accident...?
The notion that they want to make a third movie to MAKE it one.

I dunno about that.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
This should be put in a vault in Paris right next to the platinum-iridium bar they used to use to define the meter. It would stand as the universal measure for shitty ideas.

Doctor Proctor

Omega-3 Man
Oct 21, 2008
Seriously? That movie is just so brilliant and quintessentially 80's that a remake would likely just fall flat on it's face. And adding in an origin story to boot? Hopefully if it goes through Kurt Russell will at least get some residuals from people watching the REAL version to cleanse this sham of an idea from their brains...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The only positive I can find in this mess, is that this could scrub my brain free of "Escape form L.A."
And it was only 6 comments down until someone made a MGS joke? C'mon people, we're better than that; I expected that to be at most 3 comments down the page!

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
The only positive I can find in this mess, is that this could scrub my brain free of "Escape form L.A."
And it was only 6 comments down until someone made a MGS joke? C'mon people, we're better than that; I expected that to be at most 3 comments down the page!
I came specifically to make a MGS joke but someone beat me to it :(

OT: I didn't even realise that Escape from New York was even that big of a thing. Sure it's a fun little action movie but does it really deserve the sort of attention a reboot brings? Are we that starved for ideas in the movie industry these days?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Did they learn nothing from Escape From LA? That surfing scene still makes me angry. I imagine Snake's origin story will be Escape From Hawaii: Snake's Tropical Adventure where he is the outcast, curmudgeonly child of a surfing legend who is killed by some guy who is bad. Revenge is sought in the form of a gnarly surfing competition then everyone drinks tropical punch out of pineapples.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Is nothing sacred?! IS NOTHING TRULY SACRED?!

Escape from New York is quite possibly my favourite film, so this whole thing reeks of sacrilege.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
As Snake Plissken, I hate this plan.

Genocidicles said:
Escape from New York is quite possibly my favourite film, so this whole thing reeks of sacrilege.
How do you think I feel?

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
I guess when it comes to reviving old action movies from the dead, it's better to go the way of rebooting them rather than making a canonical sequel (Indy 4 anyone?) or prequel (2011 The Thing, again showing that not having Kurt Russel is a bad idea). It can at least not taint the originals with some terrible plot devices which can potential retcon previous events. Aliens:Colonial Marines for example took retconning to a really bad extreme.