Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

The "Durango" (codename for the next Xbox) development kit claims that Microsoft's next console will be always-online, require the use of Kinect, and must have every game installed to its hard drive.

"Durango" is the codename for Microsoft's upcoming Xbox successor, and the XDK development kit is already out there in the hands of eager developers, no doubt under all sorts of NDAs. VG leaks [http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/] claims to have seen the XDK first hand, and has discovered a "hardware overview" document that lists some of the features of the upcoming console. The document says that the new console will maintain an always-online connection, require the use of a new Kinect device (which will be included with the console), and require all games to be installed to its hard drive.

This new information gives more credibilty to earlier rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121938-Rumor-Next-Xbox-Will-Require-Constant-Internet-Connection] that the next Xbox will require a constant online connection. Those of you unimpressed with Microsoft's Kinect may be disappointed to find that it's here to stay, with the document stating that "Every Durango console will be sold with a new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor, which will be required for the system to operate."

"The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates."

"All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from the optical disc will not be supported," the document states. It also says that the Durango will allow users to begin playing the game while it is still being installed/downloaded, instead of having to wait for it to complete. According to the document, the Durango will come with a blu-ray drive and a hard drive of yet undetermined size. Since Blu-Rays can go up to 50 gb, and it requires mandatory installs, I couldn't see it being lower than 500 gb for the base model.

These are all rumors that have been floating around for quite some time now, but screenshots from the XDK itself give it a bit more validity. The wording of the sure-to-be-controversial "always-online" statement doesn't suggest that internet is mandatory for it to work, but may be talking about always having an internet connection so that it can download and update even when in the off or standby mode.

Microsoft has offered no comment on these rumors. It is expected to reveal its new console in the next few months, and it is assumed it will release as a competitor for the PS4 in the upcoming holiday season.

Source & Image: VG Leaks [http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/]

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Looks like they're going to really try and slam the always online DRM hammer down.

This may be the great video game crash all over again. People BETTER not buy into this always online crap, I'm hoping everyone is smarter than these companies give them credit for.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Snotnarok said:
Looks like they're going to really try and slam the always online DRM hammer down.

This may be the great video game crash all over again. People BETTER not buy into this always online crap, I'm hoping everyone is smarter than these companies give them credit for.
If people go along with it Sony is going to be mad they didn't abuse their customers first. lol.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Snotnarok said:

You very badly underestimate people's tolerance for DRM. The only ones who will be wary are the ones with crap internet.

As long as they can not fuck up the launch with stuff like RROD like they did with the 360, will be a hit. Calling it now.

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
In the past year the only console games I've cared to play were Halo 4 and ME3, and I don't use Xbox Live. If the items in the article are true, not to mention the high price-point some of these tech specs imply, this will be the final thing that pushes me completely, solely, to the PC for gaming.

But we'll see how this all goes when they actually launch the console.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So, the lessons of Diablo III and now SimCity 3 (oops, apparently it's not SimCity 3. There goes my whole theory. Aw man) have not been learned? Funny how this is the third X-box. I sense a pattern. This...I don't know. This just seems like a really, REALLY bad idea. Even if the always online works flawlessly, so many gamers start rioting the moment DRM is even mentioned that making your console built around the things seems like shooting yourself in the foot before the race even starts. It truly baffles me that, if this turns out to be true, they think it's a good way to sell consoles.

If this does turn out to be true, I can only hope that Halo 5 and 6 will be on the 360 because I really can't see myself buying this system.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Always online DRM in the next console from Microsoft?

Methinks Microsoft is looking for an excuse to get out of the games business.

Kyle 2175

Jan 7, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
So, the lessons of Diablo III and now SimCity 3 have not been learned? Funny how this is the third X-box. I sense a pattern.
This is not the 3rd SimCity game. The third main one in the series is 3000 but there were other ones like SimTown, which is pretty much what everyone calls the new one and they share a lot of gameplay elements like a focus on co-operation with other cities. Makes you wonder whether EA were trying to reboot SimCity or SimTown, really. If the reboot were numbered at all, it would be SimCity 5, as the most recent main series one was 4, or maybe 6, considering SimCity Societies. There's a very good video on this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O42kxeilMaQ

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oh Microsoft. What hapened to you? You used to be cool man.... Ok, you've never really been cool, but really? Really? As if you hadn't been fekin your console and customers up the bottom already.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Things like this just makes me wonder why a company hasn't used an Alternative Reality Game to first announce their console or a major game. Everyone is quick to act like a sleuth when it comes to trickles of information.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Always on means they will lose a customer. I tend to play my games offline. With the exception of wanting to talk to friends. I am ok with doing that. Since i did that for years on my Xbox.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Funny how they are trying to sell the "always online" bit as something they're doing out of magnanimity because they care about the customers, and it's something we supposedly want.

Ehm, no, Microsoft, no. I decide when I want to be online. You don't get to tell me I always want to be online. Sorry.

On the other hand, the customers could start trying to learn some self-control too, and realize that there's nothing in this particular industry that you "just gotta have, no matter the price" or you'll die.

Eh, pipe dream.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Microsoft need to wake up and fucking say something. All these rumours flying around, people need confirmation. The silent treatment is not working and never will work, especially now sony have got the first word in, and although I personally wasn't blown away by the PS4, nothing offended me with that like the prospect of always on DRM making it to consoles.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Forget DRM.

That's a 3d camera in your living room that's connected to internet all the time regardless of whether you're using xbox or not.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Microsoft is watching... waiting... learning...

Seriously, I buy a console so I can enjoy my free time, not to be judged. I'm sticking to the PS4.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Nuts... Microsoft, if this thing needs to be always online to work then you just lost me :(

If it can work without being online then all is forgiven, but if i need to authenticate games, connect to a server first etc etc etc to use this machine... then farewell its been nice, not that i want to say goodbye, but because i have to.

You'll also be losing a lot of my buddies as well. not everyone is online

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Aeonknight said:
Snotnarok said:

You very badly underestimate people's tolerance for DRM. The only ones who will be wary are the ones with crap internet.

As long as they can not fuck up the launch with stuff like RROD like they did with the 360, will be a hit. Calling it now.
No I'm well aware of how people are tolerant of paying for things they have no actual ownership on. I'm honestly hoping for another video game crash so the industry takes a step back and tries to do right by the customer instead of taking more and more away .

nerdwerds

Nov 9, 2011
"Always online" is a surefire way to not get any of my money.

Nghtgnt said:
If the items in the article are true, not to mention the high price-point some of these tech specs imply, this will be the final thing that pushes me completely, solely, to the PC for gaming.
Seconded.