Voyager 1 Exits the Solar System - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Voyager 1 Exits the Solar System - UPDATED

35 years after it launched, the Voyager 1 spacecraft has officially moved beyond the heliosphere - but it's apparently still a step away from interstellar space.

On September 5, 1977, Voyager 1 launched from Cape Canaveral, beginning a journey into space that would bring it into close contact with Jupiter and Saturn and the moons that surround both. But its travels did not end there; it continued to push out into the solar system, becoming the most distant man-made object from the sun in 1998 and beginning an exploration of the heliosheath - the region of the heliosphere beyond the termination shock, where solar winds are slowed, compressed and made turbulent by their interaction with the interstellar medium. And now, based on changes to radiation levels detected last year, the craft has moved beyond the heliosphere and the boundaries of our solar system.

On August 25, anomalous cosmic rays detected by the probe dropped to less than one percent of previously registered amounts, while galactic cosmic rays that originate outside the solar system more than doubled in intensity. That shift, according to Bill Webber, professor emeritus of astronomy at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, is what you would expect from an exit of the heliosphere.

A report to be published in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union, states, "It appears that [Voyager 1] has exited the main solar modulation region, revealing [hydrogen] and [helium] spectra characteristic of those to be expected in the local interstellar medium." Even so, there is still some debate among scientists as to whether Voyager 1 has actually entered interstellar space or is merely in a "separate, undefined region beyond the solar system."

"It's outside the normal heliosphere, I would say that," Webber stated. "We're in a new region. And everything we're measuring is different and exciting."

Exciting indeed. Unfortunately, we're not going to learn much about lies beyond our garden fence; Voyager will begin shutting down [http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/spacecraftlife.html] its instruments in 2020 and at some point after 2025 its power supply will be exhausted. After that, we just have to hope that it doesn't someday come home with a head full of questions and an existential void in its soul.

Source: American Geophysical Union [http://www.agu.org/news/press/pr_archives/2013/2013-11.shtml]

UPDATE: Further to the "some debate among scientists" business, NASA has issued a statement [http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/news/voyager_update.html] stating that it believes Voyager 1 is still here, although in a part of "here" that we weren't aware existed until now.

"It is the consensus of the Voyager science team that Voyager 1 has not yet left the solar system or reached interstellar space," Voyager project scientist Edward Stone said. "In December 2012, the Voyager science team reported that Voyager 1 is within a new region called 'the magnetic highway' where energetic particles changed dramatically. A change in the direction of the magnetic field is the last critical indicator of reaching interstellar space and that change of direction has not yet been observed."

Jan 12, 2012
I know I didn't have anything to do with this, but it still gives me a bit of pride; no matter how badly we screw ourselves over on Earth, there's still going to a piece of humanity out there waiting for someone to find it.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I read about this this afternoon on a local news source. They managed to call it a satellite... sometimes I despair for journalists...

OT: Yay us! I was already conceived, if not born, when it was launched, so I can claim some sort of influence over it's existence I'm sure...

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I'm amazed by the fact Voyager is still going. I mean its been out there for over 30 years and is still working perfectly, you'd assume something would break down after all that time.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I have to wonder if scientists have ever considered making another voyager-like program. With today's technology it would be AMAZING with what we could put in there.

Edit: maybe the aliens were just waiting for us to send something outside the solar system to make contact with us... I doubt it, but anything is possible.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
After that, we just have to hope that it doesn't someday come home with a head full of questions and an existential void in its soul.
Hey, V'Ger was just lonely. At least by that point I won't be around to endure another hour of staring at glory shots of a starship's ass.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Now whenever I hear about long-lived space probes or rovers or the like I always think of this:

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
It's interesting to think these probes will outlast humanity, and will probably still be out there when the sun eventually gives up.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
The Artificially Prolonged said:
I'm amazed by the fact Voyager is still going. I mean its been out there for over 30 years and is still working perfectly, you'd assume something would break down after all that time.
That's true, I wish we still built cars and appliances that way.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Entitled said:
I'm amazed by the fact Voyager is still going.
I would be more amazed if it would suddenly stop...
True dat. Space is really really big. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space. Even still, it's a bit mind-boggling to think about.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[small]
RIP Vault 101
You will be missed.​
[/small]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
EHKOS said:
I'd just like to point out that unlike Cars & Appliances, Voyager 1 has the Luxury of being in a vacuum, which does help it's lifespan somewhat (60% sure it doesn't have as many moving parts either)

In theory Voyager should be around for millions of years (if not longer_ unless it either runs out of power (unlikely, given how many stars there are out there) or something hits it (even more unlikely).

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
EHKOS said:
Hell I'd buy a NASA car if they made one.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Aeshi said:
In theory Voyager should be around for millions of years (if not longer_ unless it either runs out of power (unlikely, given how many stars there are out there) or something hits it (even more unlikely).
Did you not read the article above? It will run out of power sometime around 2025. It's not like it's solar powered (that would be stupid because there's almost no solar power that far out). It's powered by three RTG's [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator], which rely on radioactive "fuel" to generate power.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So long, Voyager!

EHKOS said:
With outdated equipment and floating through space?
Although I hear the parking spots around Neptune are amazing...