Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 Cancels Dismemberment DLC

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 Cancels Dismemberment DLC

Plans to release a more graphic version of the sniper-focused shooter have been abandoned.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 was all set to include limb dismemberment, allowing players to blow arms and legs off enemies with heavy weapons and explosions. That feature was eventually set aside as DLC to be added at a later date, but now it looks like it's not going to arrive at all: publisher City Interactive announced that the feature will not make its way into the game.

"I can confirm that CI Games are no longer going to be releasing the dismemberment DLC," said a representative for the Polish-based publisher, offering no further comment on the omission. The announcement comes despite the earlier release of several images demonstrating the feature in graphic detail.

[gallery=1195]

Last year, producer Michael Sroczynski said that developers originally removed [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/06/sniper-ghost-warrior-2-dismemberment-feature-coming-as-launch/] the dismemberment feature to ensure that Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 could still be sold in Germany, where strict censorship laws control the sale of violent materials. The original intention was to release the game in its current state, and eventually add the feature as free DLC for all formats in approved regions. If you're one of the few fans of the game, you'll just have to make do without it, or dust off that copy of Soldier of Fortune instead.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 is now available on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/sniper_ghost_warrior_2/news/sniper_ghost_warrior_2s_dismemberment_dlc_has_been_cancelled.html]

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
How am I supposed to find my ultra-HD 1080p 60hz graphic dismemberments now?!

Soldier of Fortune came out, like, a billion years ago!

But in all seriousness, is this now a thing that is just 'too far' for games to do?
I think of Saving Private Ryan where gory details like this are used for emphasising the horror, rather than for amusement.

Or something.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
You know what? I will dust off my copy of Soldier of Fortune 2. Time for Mullins to take apart some bad guys with a combat shotgun...

...did you know that game had a stealth system, incredible I know, but there you go.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
When I want good dismemberment, I just start a Fallout 1/2 game and give my character the Bloody Mess perk. I still think that they have the most satisfying dismemberment animations.

I wasn't planning on getting this game, but it's a shame that developers have to censor themselves.

octafish said:
You know what? I will dust off my copy of Soldier of Fortune 2. Time for Mullins to take apart some bad guys with a combat shotgun...

...did you know that game had a stealth system, incredible I know, but there you go.
That Stealth level was awful. I'm glad that it only had one (at least as far as I remember). The mission generator had potential. Too bad modern games don't do it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well this just makes me a sad gamer to not see my bullets splatter and dismember body parts all over the place.

I'm also expecting the PC crowd to come in here and declare their effort into fixing this "issue"

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
God I hate censorship, I really really really really hate censorship.
Have I mentioned how much I hate censorship

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
While I'm not really that interested in the game at the moment (might get it when it's cheap) I couldn't help but find it hilarious that the middle photo shows the guy missing his left forearm yet there is a right forearm next to him.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Why not release it? Soldier of Forture made an entire game based around this mechanic!

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
Thanks a lot Germany!

In all seriousness, I don't mind, as long as the game delivers what it's sent out to do
Though this being a sequel to the ridiculously broken piece of shit Sniper Ghost Warrior was, I proceed with caution. Time to look up some pre/reviews.

I'm wondering though, are sniper bullets really capable of dismemberment as seen in the screenshots?

Also, wouldn't dismemberment DLC drastically change the game itself? Like, if you shoot a dude in the leg without the DLC, I'm assuming he'll just limp for a bit, but with the DLC, his leg gets blown off and he will logically be unable to walk. And shooting off the arms will render them unable to fight back. Maybe this is the reason they cancelled the DLC?

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
NearLifeExperience said:
Thanks a lot Germany!

In all seriousness, I don't mind, as long as the game delivers what it's sent out to do
Though this being a sequel to the ridiculously broken piece of shit Sniper Ghost Warrior was, I proceed with caution. Time to look up some pre/reviews.

I'm wondering though, are sniper bullets really capable of dismemberment as seen in the screenshots?
Yes, but worse. Here is some real life rag doll physics.

**NOTE THIS LINK FEATURES GRAPHIC VIOLENCE**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kNeNd0Qj8

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
Robert0288 said:
Yes, but worse. Here is some real life rag doll physics.

**NOTE THIS LINK FEATURES GRAPHIC VIOLENCE**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kNeNd0Qj8
Dude, that's some fucked up shit, haha. But who uses a bloody 50 cal on people that aren't inside an armoured vehicle or entrenched in a bunker? I'm no gun expert at all, but that just seems like overkill.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
If it takes out the enemy before he can take you out, who cares? ISAF drops JDAMs, helifires, and excalibur arty rounds on individual insurgents all the time

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
SSJBlastoise said:
While I'm not really that interested in the game at the moment (might get it when it's cheap) I couldn't help but find it hilarious that the middle photo shows the guy missing his left forearm yet there is a right forearm next to him.
YES! I knew someone else would notice it! And for the record, both guys missing their arms are missing the wrong arm.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Only Germany could fail to find dismemberment entertaining.
I find it to be quite offensive that dictatorship-style censorship is considered to be a good thing. The best/worst justification I've heard so far is based on the assumption that uncensored content of a graphic nature (dismemberment, red blood, Nazi swastikas, etc.) could possibly trigger ze Germans to revert to Hitler's ways of seeing and doing things.

That's some of the most ludicrous nonsense worthy of, say, North Korea, not the industrial heart and soul of the abominable EU...