Hideo Kojima Explains the Reasons Behind the Fox Engine

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012

The creator of Metal Gear Solid reveals why Kojima Productions is creating a new engine from scratch, and offers some advice for game makers of the future.

In 2011, Kojima Productions 10 minute video for Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110614-Hideo-Kojima-Unveils-His-Next-Games-Foxy-Engine]. But why go to the trouble of making a new engine from scratch? Japanese game director Hideo Kojima recently offered some commentary on the Fox Engine, including the rationale behind its development and some advice on developing for the future.

Kojima published his insights on his Twitter account (translated by Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5991640/hideo-kojima-this-is-what-fox-engine-is-all-about]), where he notes that realistic rendering at multiple levels is now necessary. "The concept of the 'Fox Engine' is photo-realism," he writes. "The age of fixating on pictures and sound in games is over. Now the questions are: How free is it? Does it connect to the internet and is the gameplay smooth? Even so, a certain level of realistic atmosphere is required.

"At Kojima Productions we're aiming for a line where even simple CG models look photo-realistic when you zoom out of the game screen."

The creator of Metal Gear Solid referred to his 1998 espionage title as an example of "looking to the future", when the team chose to create video sequences using in-game models instead of pre-rendered graphics: a practice that has carried on to this day. "With Peace Walker, we tried a hand-held system with the age of cloud technology in mind," he added. "People laughed at us then, too."

Kojima concluded by saying that game makers should not be concerned with what works now, but rather focus on what will work in the future. "Businessmen in the field always think 'What platform or career is going to succeed? With whom/where should I strengthen my ties?' and look to the future and choose their path from there. But technology is always evolving, and it always leaves the laboratory and becomes a part of everyday life. Creators must look to that future when they create."

The Fox Engine is currently being used in the development of several titles, including Zone of the Enders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121002-The-Phantom-Pain-Revealed-at-Video-Game-Awards] title.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5991640/hideo-kojima-this-is-what-fox-engine-is-all-about]

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Wait they really are making a new Zone of the Enders? Can't wait to see that along with Phantom Pain/Ground Zeroes

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Timothy Chang said:
You broke the rules! You posted a Kojima article without the prerequisit image!

Let me fix that for you:

Oh come now, are we still pretending that The Phantom Pain is anything other than Metal Gear Solid 5?

Capitano Segnaposto said:
Kojima, this is wonderful and all... but I still don't have MGS3 on my Cellphone. Get to work!
It's on the 3DS though, that's pretty close.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
The man is a visionary and a bit mad(love japan but I hate to say there main export is crazy) what he sees may or may not be what we see but lets hope he makes a more interactive MGS with less cut scenes :p

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Kojima, this is wonderful and all... but I still don't have MGS3 on my Cellphone. Get to work!
You quoted the WHOLE article to make one comment? Mercy! ;)

OT: I remember an article a long time ago with Hideo where he discussed the idea (around the time of MGS3) of having a living, breathing environment, where grass grew in real-time, and shooting a soldier in the leg would result in actual trauma setting in, using a real intelligence in the coding - extremely ambitious AI basically.

This made it in to the MGS games in ways, to a limited extent - and my god, it's what made them my favourite games of all time. MGS2 remains a pinnacle of immersive gaming.

I say let's see what Fox offers.. Take the ambition, knock it back by, say, 30% or so, and that's what you'll likely end up with. It will still be incredibly imaginative, if not a world-ender.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Mcoffey said:
It's pretty damn impressive they're able to squeeze that much juice out of the PS3, but I wonder why they would put it out so late in it's life cycle. I would've expected it to be a launch title for the PS4 or something. Suits me fine, since I don't plan on getting a PS4, but at this rate it'll be out before the game is.
You lost me there, this isn't a PS4 launch we're talking about???

OT: Kojima didn't explain much after all, did he? A LOT of people focusing around photo-realism already. But I trust Kojima a bit more, he usually delivers the goods he promised.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
New engine, great, yeah; just let me fly around with Jehuty some more

Zone of the Enders is/was a underrated franchise, especially compared to MGS. Sure, the voice acting was hammy & the story was full of holes, but I loved the style & it had some of the best three dimensional controls I've seen to this day. Can't wait for a sequel

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
The AI in MGS 3 and 4 is still the best I have experienced.
MGS3 is a 2006 game, yet dishonoured, hitman absolution, deus ex HR etc etc are still inferior to it.

Can't wait till Ground Zeroes. I can imagine Eidos Montreal (Thi4f) going into panic mode realising the AI standards have been raised yet again

nexus

May 30, 2012
cidbahamut said:
Really? Photo realism? That's your selling point?

My how the industry has grown(read:stagnated).
Why so gloomy, Gus?

"Photo-realism" is just the pearlescent shine on an exotic sports car. It's the main selling point, and for the most part it's the only thing amateurs understand or notice when they see something "new".

Under the metallic shine is a beast, it runs faster, it's more efficient and can do much, much more. Not only graphics, but physics models, realistic weather effects, much larger areas to explore, and more robust AI. For starters..

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
cidbahamut said:
Really? Photo realism? That's your selling point?

My how the industry has grown(read:stagnated).
Photorealism at decent framerates is a great selling point for an engine. As long as the engine simply powers the games, and is not actually the focus of them, it'll be fine.

P.S. Thanks

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
I will buy anything that Hideo Kojima is offering without a second thought. Fox Engine looks great, looking forward to games on this engine!

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
IronMit said:
MGS3 is a 2006 game, yet dishonoured, hitman absolution, deus ex HR etc etc are still inferior to it.

Can't wait till Ground Zeroes. I can imagine Eidos Montreal (Thi4f) going into panic mode realising the AI standards have been raised yet again
Actually, MGS3 came out in 2004. It was updated in 2006 with MGS3: Subsistence. Either way though, the point still stands. the guards in MGS3 were fucking geniuses compared to some newer games' enemies.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
an annoyed writer said:
IronMit said:

Actually, MGS3 came out in 2004. It was updated in 2006 with MGS3: Subsistence. Either way though, the point still stands. the guards in MGS3 were fucking geniuses compared to some newer games' enemies.
That's what I love about the MGS series and Hideo in general, the man is quite smart when it comes to gameplay design along with how AI would react and he's probably the master of long winded epic cutscenes and story that puts Michael Bay to shame.

I've always loved and would like to play MGS4 again to remember the good times I had with it back in 08 but alas I no longer have a PS3 but I should save for a slim and get the game again because Hideo that clever bastard.

Also quite pleased with the results of his own engine let alone him using the Foxhound idea for having named it.