App Store Rejects "Uncomfortable" Sweatshop Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
App Store Rejects "Uncomfortable" Sweatshop Game

Sweatshop HD, a game that "challenges young people to think about the origin of the clothes we buy," is the latest app to fall afoul of Apple's content rules.

"Sweatshop challenges players to manage an off-shore clothing factory, producing the latest in cheap designer fashions for Britain's high streets," says the Sweatshop page [http://www.littleloud.com/work/sweatshop/] on developer Littleloud's website. But it's not a conventional management game; if you want to turn a profit you'll have to turn a blind eye to the less savory aspects of the business. Te idea is to make players think about how the apparel they love so much is actually made, but that critical eye goes a little too far for the comfort of Apple censors.

The game was originally released in November 2012 but was pulled from the App Store earlier this year. Apple told Littleloud that it was "uncomfortable selling a game based around the theme of running a sweatshop" in which players could boost their scores by blocking fire escapes, forcing laborers to work long hours and hiring low-cost child labor.

In response, the developer updated the game to clarify that it is a work of fiction created in conjunction with the Labor Behind the Label [http://www.labourbehindthelabel.org/] charity and that players aren't forced to do anything they do want to do. "Sadly, these clarifications and changes weren't enough to see the game reinstated for sale," Littleloud's Simon Parkin said.

It's an unfortunate omission, but not a terribly surprising one. Apple has a history of keeping controversial content off the App Store and made it clear in playsweatshop.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121539-Apple-If-You-Want-To-Criticize-Religion-Write-a-Book].

Source: Pocket Gamer [http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Sweatshop+HD/news.asp?c=49468]

rebus_forever

Jan 28, 2009
uncomfortable with consumers learning how their "i" device was manufactured, a more accurate description.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
rebus_forever said:
uncomfortable with consumers learning how their "i" device was manufactured, a more accurate description.
^This
It really hit a little too close to home for Apple. Seems like a good idea for a game, I've played flash games about running companies so to have one where you run a sweatshop seems an interesting idea.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Pretty hypocritical. Feel uncomfortable about seatshops but have all your devices produced in them? Pah!

There isn't an android version of this? Doesn't look too bad... I can't find anything on the google play store but maybe I'm just to distracted to find it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
rebus_forever said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Uncomfortable selling a game based around the theme of running a sweatshop, but not enough to stop running real ones.
These two posts sum up how I feel about this matter.

Not sure how the quality of the game is, but it would be interesting to test it out I guess.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Y'know what the saddest part here is? ...I mean aside from the whole censorship etc. etc. stuff and turning a blind eye to a real issue.

It's that the game is actually pretty fun. It's got nice cartoony graphics, pretty hilarious dialogue, and the game just flows pretty nicely.

I would love to play it on my iPod Touch.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Wait, don't Apple have games where you kill things/people? So murder is more acceptable than the sweatshops in which their products are made. Someone should make Foxconn: The game, where you just jump off the iPad factory because of the horrendous working conditions. Available on Android of course.

I played the Sweatshop game and it was okay, not too preachy but it still makes it obvious about the issues involved which was good. It was just a bit boring after a while.

ShAmMz0r

Oct 20, 2011
If you want to criticize religion, write a book.
Real visionaries there at App Store. I understand what they are doing from business perspective, but such a lack of balls disappoints me.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Apple: Protecting the world from information since 2008

I don't use Apple products because I don't like the closed platform; this is why
(also not a fan of the UI, but that's mostly just personal preference)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
rebus_forever said:
Yep sounds like Apple all right. Clean, sleek and user friendly on the outside, cheap Third World labour and censorship on the inside.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
Yopaz said:
rebus_forever said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Uncomfortable selling a game based around the theme of running a sweatshop, but not enough to stop running real ones.

Not sure how the quality of the game is, but it would be interesting to test it out I guess.
It started as a flash game two years ago, I remember playing it. It's O.K. I guess but if you really are interested here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/channelfour/sweatshop

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I'm pretty sure that this game wasn't "uncomfortable" for anyone but themselves. If I were an indie developer I'd be "uncomfortable" with making a game or anything for them, trying to fit their stupid guidelines as opposed to artistic expression. How many parents are uncomfortable with the idea of mowing down zombies with machine guns? Let's pull all of those too.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
As if anyone who played this would be anything but a massive ass-hole, people would just play it like a even more fucked up Dungeon Keeper. Not that I don't commend their efforts to spread awareness.

EDIT: I worded that badly, I mean't to say those who play would proberly play AS a complete ass hole, like how most people play God games like Black & White. Im not saying those who played it are actually bad people.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Well of course. You don't want children to think of all the children's fingers lost in the Apple machinery. Then they might start demanding you change your ways. Ignorance is the best business strategy, after all you can't feel bad about what you don't know.

Keep on trucking Apple. Soon all are sweatshops belong to you.

Also PunkRex you really think people play Dungeon Keeper because they are massive asshole sadists? I think you never played the game to start with and that you are jumping to a bit of a conclusion assuming that because a game asks you to run something that can't be considered angelic pure goodness it must only appeal to assholes.

What a narrow view.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Apple doesn't like game about sweatshop. In unrelated news, Irony has reached overwhelming levels and all life on earth has begun to die as a result

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
rebus_forever said:
Am I too evil if I say i just don't really care? (evil Dwight smile)
No, really, your point is more than valid though. However, the real issue is not that Apple does the almost-slave working scheme in poor countries, the real issue is that most companies the size of Apple do that, I'm pretty aware that most things I own were probably made like that, but what does it mean? Even worse, a lot of those low moral standards aren't even illegal in some countries where they're practiced. And there are huge clusterfucks that protect the big company, for instance small factory with kids produces stuff for Apple, Samsung and Dell, if they're caught the factory gets fucked up, but legally, Apple and Samsung can just slam a good lawyer who'll say they had no idea that was the way things were being built and all they get is a bad reputation, until the next big release.
It's the way capitalism is rolling right now, you wanna keep a competitive production cost you gotta look for loopholes, and it's a cycle, because the cheaper it gets the more cheating the law there will be, lowering the prices even further and so on. (production prices that is)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
MarlonBlazed said:
Yopaz said:
rebus_forever said:
DVS BSTrD said:

It started as a flash game two years ago, I remember playing it. It's O.K. I guess but if you really are interested here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/channelfour/sweatshop
Thanks for that. Though stupid me also noticed a link to the game was posted in the article after I had posted...

Anyway, I agree with your judgment. It's OK. I played the first few levels and didn't really bother to go on after that.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Hit a little bit too close to home, aye?
Well, no matter. I don't have an "i" device (or any smartphone) anyway. I'm oldschool like that.

Edit: The game's commentary seems a little too blunt and too "in your face" imho. But I guess I just find commentary with a bit suptlety more effective.