Update: Firefall CEO Clarifies "Consoles Are Dead" Statement

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Update: Firefall CEO Clarifies "Consoles Are Dead" Statement

Mark Kern said he's going all-in with the PC for Firefall.

Update: Mark Kern clarified his thoughts a bit in an interview with me at PAX East. He admitted that he his tongue was firmly in cheek when he said it, and it's a very general statment. "When I say consoles are dead," Kern said, "it's a broad statement but it's really about how the current iteration of consoles is kind of brain dead. The old publishing model, the old 'Let's compete by putting more graphics in there' isn't working anymore."

He also sees great potential in smaller, niche consoles for independent developers. "I'm not saying that TVs and controllers are dead, in fact, I'm really excited by Ouya, for example," Kern said. "It's like 'Hey, no one cares about the hardware anymore, just get the great games on it and make it open, make it accessible to indie devs and everybody else.' That's, to me, where the future of consoles should be so I guess there's a qualification to that broad statement." So consoles aren't dead, they are just being reborn in much smaller packages, according to Kern.

Original: The hot-button topic for the game industry, even here at PAX East, is the impending next generation cycle of consoles. The PlayStation 4 is coming this holiday, oh yes it is, and Microsoft's as yet announced console is on its way too. With Blizzard's Diablo III coming to the PS4, and another PC gaming stalwart like EVE Online creator CCP releasing Dust 514 for the console, everyone's wondering if more MMOs should follow suit. With Firefall's strong concentration on shooter mechanics, it actually makes more sense than most to jump to the TV and controller setup. Mark Kern, CEO and Creative Director of Red 5 Studios, doesn't think so.

"Consoles are dead," he said when asked if Firefall would ever be playable on the PlayStation 4. The crowd assembled for Red 5's presentation laughed raucously. I'm not exactly sure Kern was joking. Well, within every joke there's always a nugget of truth.

For a more technical answer, Kern said the team is concentrating on a DirectX version of the code, which depends on the Windows platform, but they are voraciously working on an Open GL version of the client which will open up Firefall to a whole bevy of platforms.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Oh you, and your titles.

It is nice to see some developers still focusing on PC releases. While I have nothing against consoles (I have both an Xbox and PS3), I can easily see the frustration in how often PC's can be forgotten by some developers. Or if they aren't, they get a poorly designed port clearly designed for the console (Deadlight I am looking at you).

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Well, the big touted features of the PS4 is the Share Button, and Rumors say that the Next XBox needs to always be online.

I have been playing videogames on the one or other Consoleplatform since for ever but the next one so far doesn't really ring my bells, i.e. i really feel a strange lack of emotions of any kind towards them.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
hazabaza1 says "Firefall CEO is a fucking idiot."
Make a news story outta that.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
This guy has enough money to afford a gaming computer while not everyone has. A console will have AAA games that support it for the life of the console, which may be a decade. Can you say the same for a PC?

I game on a PC because steam, I can carry my laptop everywhere and it can do more then play games. Granted I may not be correct and correct me if I'm wrong but both the PC and console have their place.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
major_chaos says "those who make mediocre games should not cast stones". More news at nine.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
It's the "PC GAMING IS DEAD GUZ" trend in reverse, and every bit as true.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Post a link to where more of the interview can be found? Nope. Site literally only 3 words and base an article around it? Done!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Hey Batman, what console are your parents getting you for Christma---
*SLAP*
CONSOLES ARE DEAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

Yeah a throwaway line does not news story make...Firefall Developer targets Mac and Linux markets however may be worthy of a story though...

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
At one point, I had thought we were close to a sort of hardware convergence where it really wouldn't matter what device you were using, as long as it met some minimum specs and you had broadband. But now it's pretty clear that there's a continued interest among both manufacturers and a lot of consumers for the console experience. If people are buying brand new games for their ancient current gen consoles, then they're definitely not dissuaded by the fact they're playing games on old hardware.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Escapist user starts one-sided feud with Firefall CEO [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.404087-Firefall-CEO-Says-Consoles-Are-Dead#16721854]

After hearing a statement from the CEO of the company behind the MMO Firefall, one Escapist user in particular has taken umbrage with Mark Kern's view that "Consoles are dead".

hazabaza1, a relatively well recognised Escapist forum user (at least by this writer's standards) has decided to potentially start a war of words with Mr Kern, by launching a foul-mouthed volley in his direction.

"Firefall CEO is a fucking idiot" the man with the QI avatar (seen rather fuzzily to the right) said. This is the first time in particular that hazabaza has levelled such an outburst specifically at Mr Kern, but with the Firefall CEO's continued existence, and therefore possibility of making a statement, this may not be the last we hear about these two.

Whilst we here on The Escapist forums have no idea as to whether Mr. Kern will respond to these curse-ridden comments, we will, as always keep you up with any developments in this engrossing story.

hazabaza1 is exclusive to PC. As is Firefall apparently.

Permalink [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.404087-Firefall-CEO-Says-Consoles-Are-Dead#16722030]

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
Entitled said:
Consoles are dead, and so is the PC!
Considering they are inanimate objects, that's a reasonable claim.
Can one be dead if one was never alive? No you need to fist state in order to reach the second?
Is what I am saying important at all?

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
hazabaza1 said:
Escapist user starts one-sided feud with Firefall CEO [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.404087-Firefall-CEO-Says-Consoles-Are-Dead#16721854]

After hearing a statement from the CEO of the company behind the MMO Firefall, one Escapist user in particular has taken umbrage with Mark Kern's view that "Consoles are dead".

hazabaza1, a relatively well recognised Escapist forum user (at least by this writer's standards) has decided to potentially start a war of words with Mr Kern, by launching a foul-mouthed volley in his direction.

"Firefall CEO is a fucking idiot" the man with the QI avatar (seen rather fuzzily to the right) said. This is the first time in particular that hazabaza has levelled such an outburst specifically at Mr Kern, but with the Firefall CEO's continued existence, and therefore possibility of making a statement, this may not be the last we hear about these two.

Whilst we here on The Escapist forums have no idea as to whether Mr. Kern will respond to these curse-ridden comments, we will, as always keep you up with any developments in this engrossing story.

Thank you, Thank you for taking the time to do that. This has made my day.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
TorchofThanatos said:
Can one be dead if one was never alive? No you need to fist state in order to reach the second?
Is what I am saying important at all?
Here's what would happen if I were Microsoft's marketing head:

MICROSOFT - XBOX 720 REVEAL PRESENTATION

*presenter walks on stage*

PRESENTER
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange eons even death may die.

*walks off. lights go out. end of presentation*

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
hazabaza1 said:

Permalink [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.404087-Firefall-CEO-Says-Consoles-Are-Dead#16722030]
You're amazing.
I love you. You're like the anti-Firefall CEO for me.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
TorchofThanatos said:
Thank you, Thank you for taking the time to do that. This has made my day.
No problem =D
hazabaza1 said:
You're amazing.
I love you. You're like the anti-Firefall CEO for me.
Why thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and hopefully a few others that read the comments get a good chuckle out of it too =D