Saints Row IV Could Have Had President Colbert and Dragons

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Saints Row IV Could Have Had President Colbert and Dragons

Even with all the lunacy packed into Saints Row IV, some ideas were left on the cutting room floor.

When your crime-sandbox game has aliens, superpowers, and a dubstep gun, where do you draw the line? Volition, the developer behind the upcoming Saints Row IV, has a few surprising answers to that question. The over-the-top series has been progressing to wilder antics with every installment, and there's more logic than you might expect behind that evolution. For starters, the player character in Saints Row IV has reached the lofty position of President of the United States - but that came at the expense of an equally absurd scenario.

"We wanted Stephen Colbert to be the President," says Steve Jaros, creative director at Volition. "I have concept art that's amazing. It's Stephen Colbert on a battlefield holding the American flag, his sleeves are ripped off, he's got a bald eagle tattoo ... It was badass, but finally it was like, fuck it, you're the President. Why give it to someone else?"

A handful of other inspired concepts were also cut from the final product due to conflicts with higher priority ideas. Actor/professional wrestler The Rock was going to deliver a State of the Union address, and Jaros was dying to fit Meryl Streep into an undisclosed character role. On the gameplay side, there was originally a dragon in the game, but it "didn't really work." A gun that summoned a swarm of hammer-wielding monkeys was also thrown out during development. Some of these ideas may see a return via post-launch DLC, but no promises are being made just yet.

Some of the conflicting story elements were a result of the unusual blend of ideas that make up Saints Row IV. The planned final DLC pack for Saints Row The Third was an ambitious campaign titled Enter the Dominatrix, which was never released. Many of its gameplay and plot components were rolled into the development of Saints Row IV, leaving Volition with a lot of material to somehow wrap up into one game. Unfortunately, this led to many completed missions, cutscenes, and voice recordings getting scrapped in the merging process. "We tossed 'em all," says Jaros, "because it wasn't what we needed."

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/23/saints-row-4-had-stephen-colbert-dragons-monkey-summons]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Cognimancer said:
"We wanted Stephen Colbert to be the President," says Steve Jaros, creative director at Volition. "I have concept art that's amazing. It's Stephen Colbert on a battlefield holding the American flag, his sleeves are ripped off, he's got a bald eagle tattoo ... It was badass, but finally it was like, fuck it, you're the President. Why give it to someone else?"
I would have wanted to earn the Presidency. After all, once you kill the President you become the President.

---

Can't wait to see how SR4 ends up turning out though. I would have rather had a hammer-monkey gun than a dubstep gun but that's just me...hopefully Septic Avenger and Crowd Control are back.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Well at least it'll be entertaining. I look forward to making a character with a surprising degree of charm again. Hopefully.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Somehow I'm conflicted between the happy knowledge they haven't ran out of ideas yet, and the certainty that whatever they make, it'll probably redefine "batshit crazy" - which may or may not be a good thing.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
You know, there's 'reveling in your own unapologetic lunacy'; and then there's 'snorting blow before throwing darts at a word wall to make a script, above which is inscribed, in big flashing neon letters "It's funny because random and references!"'

After Saints Row: The Third, I am not confident that this will be in the former category.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
I would have wanted to earn the Presidency. After all, once you kill the President you become the President.
And an epic battle with President Colbert would have been awesome.

Might have even made this game worth buying.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Is it just me or does this game sound more crazy with every new announcement? Not being able to play it yet is getting worse and worse. I want to ride a dragon made out of monkeys into the White House!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cognimancer said:
Unfortunately, this led to many completed missions, cutscenes, and voice recordings getting scrapped in the merging process. "We tossed 'em all," says Jaros, "because it wasn't what we needed."
This is probably a backdoor way of mentioning the campaign's three hours long.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Shoggoth2588 said:

For some reason I'd imagine that President Colbert would pilot a giant robot. Why isn't this a thing? Why would you skip over that and just make the player the president?

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
uchytjes said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Shoggoth2588 said:

For some reason I'd imagine that President Colbert would pilot a giant robot. Why isn't this a thing? Why would you skip over that and just make the player the president?
Becuase it already pretty much is a thing, it's a game called Metal Wolf Chaos [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0zpMX9FVz4#t=1m23s].

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Shoggoth2588 said:
Cognimancer said:

---

Can't wait to see how SR4 ends up turning out though. I would have rather had a hammer-monkey gun than a dubstep gun but that's just me...hopefully Septic Avenger and Crowd Control are back.
Well, I remember the old "Authority" story arc where "The Authority" took over the USA, largely due to it being riddled with all kinds of corrupt secret organizations and having made a pretty good attempt to kill them. In the context of that universe it wasn't even all that offensive to me as we had comic stories starting with secret organizations doing things like "51 levels above Presidential Clearance", and sweethearts like IO (International Operations) acting as major antagonists throughout titles like Gen 13, and Wildcats and making it quite clear nobody had a handle on pretty much anything.

I'd imagine that the way this would work in Saint's Row would be pretty much what you describe, with, in the spirit of the game, The Saints becoming so retardedly powerful that they pretty much conquer the goverment and take over. Sort of like the old "Authority" storyline without the positive intent behind it (and incidently the basic point of the story was The Authority coming to realize it was a bad idea, and a huge mistake, to do what they did).

That said, my initial thought is that they might have thought "Enter The Dominatrix" was going to be a little too sexually oriented going by the title, and decided to scrap it part way through, not wanting to push the "sex" button in the US, and instead go with more over the top violence, and irreverant political humor, and not taking those aspects any futher than they were beforehand. Basically deciding part way through "you know if we finish and release this, we'll get a backlash that will make Hot Coffee look pathetic in comparison", and at the end of the day just not having the guts to do it.

I could be wrong about that of course, it's all supposition on my part going by the title. That said, it will be interesting to see what happens when Saint's Row 4 arrives. I do kind of think the series peaked with Saints Row 2 though, 3 got too silly, and 4 seems even worse, it's still fun, I'm still looking forward to it, but I preferred the balance struck by "Saints Row 2" and say "San Andreas" than either dead series "Grand Theft Auto 4" games, or the cartoonish adventures we've started seeing with the "Saints".

That said I would find it amusing if they were to eventually do a Saint's Row/Red Faction crossover (as I've mentioned before), with the Saints trying to say take over smuggling/criminal activity/vice off planet in the near future. Of course if they already run the USA, I suppose it becomes kind of pointless at that point. :)

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
JokerboyJordan said:
Becuase it already pretty much is a thing, it's a game called Metal Wolf Chaos [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0zpMX9FVz4#t=1m23s].
That looked pretty damn cool. Now I want that to be a thing in Saints Row 4. Every president should have their own secret mech.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
No, come on: President Colbert > Player President.

At the very least, make him the previous president before you take over, OR make him your opposition for re-election.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The thing that's wrong about making a game as crazy as this is the fact that it doesn't give you the freedom of creativity you might expect. Quite the opposite, actually. You have a lot more freedom to be creative when the game is grounded in reality and you're left with your imagination and just enough tools to mess around. Like Just Cause 2 for example. Where half the stuff people did were things that the developer never thought of. They just put you in this sandbox world, gave you the tools and let you decide what to do with those tools.

Saints Row 3, and now SR4 don't do that. They're giving you cheap tricks like dubstep gun instead. How long is that gonna last? You'll fire from a dubstep gun a couple of times and then the novelty will wear off. You can't experiment with those tools. A baseball bat is actually a better tool than a fuckin' dubstep gun. The appeal of those ridiculous things is obvious. Everything you can do in the game is laid out in front of you. Which makes the game obvious and that's not something a free roaming game should ever do. Free roaming games should inspire exploration and imagination. SR3 failed to do that. And it doesn't look like SR4 will be any better. And you can forget about unlocking amazing things like you did in SR2. DLC all the way baby.

San Andreas did that extremely well too. They gave players just enough craziness but it was all grounded in reality. The game didn't need to be stupid to try to be fun. It was just fun.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
The fact that there could have been a dragon, and it was scrapped... makes me want to not play now :(.