DC's Infinite Crisis Joins the MOBA Brawl

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DC's Infinite Crisis Joins the MOBA Brawl

Turbine's free-to-play multiverse MOBA Infinite Crisis will feature "startling reimaginations" of famed DC Comics characters.

The great thing about the "multiverse" is the freedom is gives writers to do whatever they want. Nightmare Batman? Gaslight Catwoman? Not a problem! With infinite Earths come infinite possibilities for those who live on them. Where it gets dicey is when they all come together in the same place and at the same time, which is apparently what's going to happen in the upcoming multiplayer online battle arena Infinite Crisis.

Developed by Turbine for WBIE and DC, Infinite Crisis will be built on competitive PvP action in the DC multiverse, with characters like the aforementioned Bat and Cat battling alongside more conventional super-type variants. "We are utilizing years of experience in the online game space to deliver innovations to the MOBA genre with a game that features fast-paced action, a major story arc, destructible environments, catastrophic events and a deep roster of iconic DC Comics characters," said Turbine Executive Producer Jeffrey Steefel.

[gallery=1223]

I don't play MOBAs and I gave up trying to make sense of the DC multiverse thing back in the 70s when DC writers became DC villains in alternate dimensions and the whole thing grew very meta-confusing, although I understand the situation is a little less complicated now. In any event, the point is that I can't even hazard a guess as to whether Infinite Crisis will be any good, but there's a launch trailer filled, rather unsurprisingly, with various Batmen and Jokers, and if you have an urge to take a gander, beta signups are being taken now at infinitecrisis.com [http://www.infinitecrisis.com/en].

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Well, I'm interested. Mostly in playing Solomon Grundy.

Little bit 'eh' about it though. Since the characters are so notable, I feel like you'll see many of the same characters in every game regardless of how good they actually are as a character.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Ow... sorry, I face palmed so hard looking at this I not only punched a hole through my head, but I managed to knock out my chair, my bedroom door, and topple everything over down the hallway and into the living room.

Seriously, every company and their mother is making an MOBA game these days with almost any theme to it. i hardly recount if the Lord of the Rings MOBA was successful, nor do I believe Blizzard's attempt will shatter expectations.

It's like trying to break into the MMO market and try to take some of WoW's thunder/money. It's not going to happen. League of Legends is the current heavy weight in this genre. Even DOTA and its sequel don't have the sheer numbers as LoL. I don't see this gaining much support outside of curious bypassers or perhaps DC enthusiasts.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
If this game has the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle, then I'll try it out. If not, then there really isn't anything I see that will draw me in.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Knowing how MOBAs work, there'll probably be only one Joker and all the others are skins you can only get through microtransactions. :p

That said, with Dota 2, LoL and to a lesser degree HoN, how much room is there in the MOBA genre anyway? (Smite gets away with it due to doing something different, but that game's terrible in its design/appearance)

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Cool since it is F2p and from Turbine I will probably check it out. If I can play as John Constantine, I will give it serious consideration.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
So, will superman be the grossly over powered, unstoppable beast they make him in the comics?