Update: Skullgirls First DLC Character And PC Version Arrives in July

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Skullgirls First DLC Character And PC Version Arrives in July

The Skullgirls IndieGogo crowdfunding campaign has now reached the $600,000 mark, which means three new characters will be added to the game.

The Skullgirls IndieGogo crowdfunding campaign [http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing?c=home] is a heartwarming story of a community that really cares about the game. It raised its initial funding goal of $150,000 in a record-breaking 22 hours, and has gone on to raise over $600,000 in the following weeks. This means that developers Lab Zero Games will be adding three new DLC characters to the game, with the first, Squigly, to arrive with the PC version of the game in July.

"We expect Squigly to be released alongside the PC version of the game, most likely in mid-July," Lab Zero CEO Peter Bartholow told update [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/26/skullgirls-first-new-character-expected-in-july-alongside-pc-version/] announced that if the campaign reaches $725,000, Robo-Fortune will be upgraded from a mere voice pack into a full-blown, playable character.

Bartholow also said that work on the PC version of the game was already underway. It is being developed in-house by Lab Zero and will be published by Marvelous AQL. Bartholow says that Lab Zero is aiming to kick the beta off in mid-June, with a full release to follow in mid-July.

"And we intend to let players beta test the new characters on [PC] first before release, too," Bartholow added. "We can do betas on the Steam version pretty easily without patch submissions, etc. so it makes it a great platform to let our fans playtest the new characters and provide balance feedback."

Skullgirls developer Reverge Labs faced accusations of sexism before the female-only fighter was first released. The lead developer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114581-Skullgirls-Dev-Dismisses-Cries-of-Sexism] initially dismissed the complaints, saying that scantly clad anime chicks with huge breasts aren't offensive because it was a woman who animated them. Big Band will be the first male character for Skullgirls, and the Mysterious Character may also be a male, depending on which character receives the most votes.

There's only 25 hours left (at time of writing) to contribute to the IndieGogo crowdfunding campaign [http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing?c=home]. A contribution of $36 or more grants you a cd-key for the Steam version of the game (when it is released).

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/26/skullgirls-first-new-character-expected-in-july-alongside-pc-version/]

Update: The campaign has now hit $750,000, meaning that Robo-Fortune will be upgraded from a voice pack into a full-blown, playable character, bringing the total of new DLC characters from three to four.

Update 2: And it's over! The campaign raised a grand total of $829,829! Lab Zero announced a final stretch goal of $825,000 in the final hours of the campaign, which as it has been reached, means a second mystery DLC character will be added to the game! This brings the total of new characters up to five.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
While this is excellent news I must ask when can we expect to see these 3 characters and updates hit the consoles?.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Shadow-Phoenix said:
While this is excellent news I must ask when can we expect to see these 3 characters and updates hit the consoles?.
I'm imagining the console release would be the same time as the PC release, but don't quote me on that

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Big Band will be the first male character for Skullgirls.
Shows how much I have been paying attention. I thought Big Band was one of the bad guys.

On a side-note, I can't seem to find an answer to this:

Does anybody know if it will have controller support? I know it will work with fighting sticks, seeing as it's a higher end donation reward.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Legion said:
Steven Bogos said:
Big Band will be the first male character for Skullgirls.
Shows how much I have been paying attention. I thought Big Band was one of the bad guys.
It's not Big _Bad_.

Skullgirls is about as classy as High School of the Dead, but I've really enjoyed playing it for the past year and this fundraiser was a heartwarming experience. I hope the mysterious third character is one of the ones I vote for, they've said that the will only do this kind of thing once.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
This is great news and I will finallg get a chance to play it (horay for pc)!
One can hoped many more DLC character will come since they really have a interesting range of rosters.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Really? In the whole post you had wrote, you didn't notices even a moment that it is in IndieGogo, NOT in Kickstarter?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Just gave my 36. Surprised there's no mention of the mane 6. With 15 hours left to go, they're less than 20k away from giving them the Skullgirls engine.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
SweetShark said:
Really? In the whole post you had wrote, you didn't notices even a moment that it is in IndieGogo, NOT in Kickstarter?
I think Kickstarter's already become a verb for "crowdfunding". But yeah, it's confusing as hell.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to Google something in Bing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Really? I thought this game was dead since it didn't get into that big tournament or whatnot.

Are they gonna make that tutorial any good now or is that a bad thing since that'd be helping newcomers?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Hmmm. Indiegogo seems down from here, even though it was OK an hour ago. What happened? Their bandwidth get sodomized en masse by bronies or something?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
Hmmm. Indiegogo seems down from here, even though it was OK an hour ago. What happened? Their bandwidth get sodomized en masse by bronies or something?
It's actually possible. I was just reading the Indiegogo page a minute ago and decided to check if it was down after seeing your post. Though with 15 hours left on it's funding unless lots of people chuck money in at the last minute then the next stretch goal will likely not be met.

Edit: Well Indiegogo is working... partly. Can't get to the project's main page though.

OT: Eh, didn't really find Skullgirls to be all that fun a game when I tried out the demo on the PS3. Especially when the tutorial didn't help much when trying to learn the controls and I got steamrolled whenever I tried playing a match against the computer... on easy mode. So yeah trying to learn the controls against a practice AI was a no go. Additionally the stories for each of the characters pretty much sounded the same and ended how you expected them too (checked them out on youtube) so they weren't too engaging either.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'm so glad this thing was so successful. Honestly, I wasn't expecting us to reach $625,000, but now, at this rate, we just might reach $725,000 before the day's end.

Even if we don't make it to that goal, I'm still happy that Squiggly, Big Band, and whoever the third character's going to be are going to be added into the game.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Tenmar said:
I'm going to say it again like I did with Dust:An Elysion Tale.

It's about FUCKING TIME! Christ so many games that I actually would liked to have played about a year or more ago and I couldn't because I don't have the disposable income or desire to buy a video game console for a very small selection of games.

EDIT: Reading the end of the article made me very depressed. Seriously you just can't fucking win when it comes to the issue of sexism. Everything is just sexist to someone and honestly I'd be more satisfied if he just kept on dismissing what people thought because being offended doesn't grant any sort of authority over the developer.

I wouldn't be shocked to hear an outpour of rage since they just got the legendary Zone to work for their company.
Meh, I just ignore the whining and bitching about Sexism and Feminism that seems to be so prevalent in Gaming (or at least The Escapist) right now. So much easier when you just tell them to shut up and ignore them.

OT: Excited for this game.
The Escapist pretty much decided that the game is sexist using only one argument of a person who was pretty pissed-off (so, not argument wise) at the time, without even taking in consideration the other arguments and discussions that the team and the community made.

I think this site really hates the game and only posted these news because they were impossible to ignore anymore.Many other gaming sites were talking about this way before the Escapist who, until now, has not said a word about the campaign.

I really like the Escapist but, fuck, this place is really obsessed with this sexism shit. I know that is an important issue, but stop drooling blood over it.

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
We made it, baby! We've hit the big time! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 'The game is dead', they all said. 'There'll never be a patch, much less DLC', they all said. Well who's laughing now?!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Smashed through 725,000 :) Mane6 get the engine and Robo-Fortune becomes a character.