Thief Teaser Steps Out of the Shadows

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief Teaser Steps Out of the Shadows

The Thief teaser released today is short, but it promises big things, very soon.

Thief fans are a superstitious, cowardly lot. No, wait, that's criminals. Thief fans are just desperate for some kind of information - anything, really - about the state of the game they've been waiting almost a decade for. After all, it's been almost four years since Eidos confirmed Thief 4 and since then we've seen and heard almost nothing about it.

In that light, the Thief teaser released today seems almost sadistic: 28 seconds long and nothing to see but Garrett's right hand. It looks good and it sounds fairly close to the mark (especially that muffled "pop" at the 16-second mark), but it's so short!

But wait! The teaser is not alone! Also on the newly-updated Thief site is a message from the developers promising more to come in short order. "This teaser is just a very small taste of what's to come. And, as a matter of fact, what's to come is arriving in a mere matter of days! Set your watches taffers," Eidos Montreal Community Manager Adamn Badke wrote in a blog post.

"The coolest thing about this video is that it was completely captured in-engine, in real time. And YES, I can confirm that what you're seeing is Garrett's actual 3D mesh that is used in the game," he continued. "The sequence was not taken from gameplay, but was specifically rendered for you guys in the community. We've wanted to put something together to share with you for a while now as a token of our appreciation for your dedication and patience - and we sincerely hope you enjoy it."

It is most definitely a token, although the site has a few other things to look at including a full-body shot of Garrett that's less alarmingly goth-rock than I expected, but the relevant point is that "real" information is in the near offing. Dare I say, it's about time.

Source: Thief [http://thiefgame.com/]

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
What we know so far: Garret dresses all in black, with a black viel, wears almost as many belts as a JRPG character and puts out candles with his bare fingers. Yep, this is definitely less Goth than Garret. It's because they're apparently going more in the emo direction.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
That's some very loud candle putting out. You know, he could have simply waved his hand through the flame and achieved the same effect, then maybe it wouldn't alert all the guards.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
The title made me so happy, just by the word thief alone.

Yes i am looking forward to this game, why do you ask?
Still remember, after finishing thief 3, going home one night and mentally picturing a visibility gem.

But then it turned out to be a teaser for a teaser for a trailer for a game.

I hate those. We know the game is coming, you don't need to tease us. Trailers? fine, then at least we get a good look at Garrett. But HOW could you possibly find this a 'reward' ? It's 2 fingers making a candle go pffft.

Not even in game footage.

Damn

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Urgh. They keep teasing me. Getting me all hot and bothered and then BAM nothing. All I want is a good roll in the hay with Garrett, and by roll in the hay I mean a new video game. Kind of. He'd have to get tested for any diseases first. And, well, be real. Mostly the game thing.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
RJ Dalton said:
What we know so far: Garret dresses all in black, with a black viel, wears almost as many belts as a JRPG character and puts out candles with his bare fingers. Yep, this is definitely less Goth than Garret. It's because they're apparently going more in the emo direction.
HEY! i resent your statement on JRPG's, and that is valid only Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X, and FFVII: Advent Children. JRPG's haven't been like that in a long time, most JRPG's are like anime with anime archetypes.

on another note, i am very much looking forward to this game. i wonder what yahtzee has to say about this game.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
Longstreet said:
Maybe they know it's horrid and want to build as much hype as possible before release day and then make off with all the cash to Mongolia.
A longer trailer is supposed to come out on april 2nd. Maybe we'll get something meatier. On a side note, does anyone know if stephen russell will reprise as garrett?

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
CrossLOPER said:
Longstreet said:
Maybe they know it's horrid and want to build as much hype as possible before release day and then make off with all the cash to Mongolia.
Haha, maybe yea.

I just loved this part;

The coolest thing about this video is that it was completely captured in-engine, in real time. And YES, I can confirm that what you're seeing is Garrett's actual 3D mesh that is used in the game
followed by

The sequence was not taken from gameplay, but was specifically rendered for you guys in the community.

Sooo what? It's game footage that is not game footage? At least the accomplished their mission to get people to talk about it. Just don't know if its the right kind of talk.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Yep that's a candle all right. I need to see actual game play before I can really say if I'm looking forward to this reboot, the news I heard so far has left me with some rather mixed feelings.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
L34dP1LL said:
CrossLOPER said:
Longstreet said:
A longer trailer is supposed to come out on april 2nd. Maybe we'll get something meatier. On a side note, does anyone know if stephen russell will reprise as garrett?
No, it will be Tobey Maguire.
I think you mean March 4th. No wait...its a crazy backwards calendar from that country that uses feet and inches still right? Unless this has already happended and i am infact writting this from the future...or the past...

I need to sit down.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I'm curious about this game and this comes from someone that never played any thief games, I've always heard great things about it from older people but never played it. I'm also curious about it being made from eidos, I've always thought they where a high quality company especially after playing my first dragon quest game. My biggest issue though I have no ps4 and no computer that can handle it, but who knows maybe this will push me towards saving up money for a next gen system.

wyrmslayer1991

Jun 14, 2011
RJ Dalton said:

They actually made a real life version of Garret's outfit so they could make something that was realistically stealthy while still being able to hold all his shit. The belts actually have a point here. They keep all of his shit from jangling around. They did the same thing with his bow. There is a real life version of his bow that's actually made of titanium, actually collapses, and actually WORKS.

It saddens me that more people don't subscribe to Game Informer. They had a huge Thief article in the last one where an entire mission was demonstrated. I don't think I'm allowed to repeat what GI wrote but I want you guys to know that they definitely seem to have the right philosophy, and as a stealth lover I am very excited for this game.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
wyrmslayer1991 said:
RJ Dalton said:

They actually made a real life version of Garret's outfit so they could make something that was realistically stealthy while still being able to hold all his shit. The belts actually have a point here. They keep all of his shit from jangling around. They did the same thing with his bow. There is a real life version of his bow that's actually made of titanium, actually collapses, and actually WORKS.

It saddens me that more people don't subscribe to Game Informer. They had a huge Thief article in the last one where an entire mission was demonstrated. I don't think I'm allowed to repeat what GI wrote but I want you guys to know that they definitely seem to have the right philosophy, and as a stealth lover I am very excited for this game.
. . .

God, I hope you're right.

But Thief 1 and 2 being on my list of top ten favorite games EVAR!!!!OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1, you can understand my worry. Thief 3 was underwhelming. Also, they called Garret's original design "goth" a statement that could only be made by someone that wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to the original games. And really, if they're going for realism, they really DON'T understand what Thief was about. Thief was just as much about the world as it was about the gameplay. Thief would not have been as fun if not for the detailed and interesting world it was set in, combined with how beautifully it immersed you in that world by all the interaction between the NPCs you could overhear. Change that world and it's not really Thief anymore, it's just a stealth game sneaking in under Thief's skirt. I'd be fine with a new stealth game that was like Thief in gameplay, but wasn't actually Thief, provided they didn't actually try to pretend it was the same series.