Designer Leaves Board Game in Desert for Future Players

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Designer Leaves Board Game in Desert for Future Players

Jason Rohrer's A Game for Someone isn't meant to be played by anyone for at least 2000 years.

One of the hardest things about game unveilings is that you'll usually wait a year or two before you can finally play the thing. Anyone who anxiously counts down the weeks before a pre-order arrives understands this feeling, but that wait is a cakewalk compared to Jason Rohrer's timeframe. The designer behind Passage, The Castle Doctrine, and Diamond Trust of London has crafted a very special board game whose intended audience won't exist for at least 2000 years. And to ensure that nobody finds it before he's good and ready, Rohrer has buried the game and its rules in the Nevada Desert where even an organized search could take lifetimes.

Rohrer's A Game for Someone was designed for the final Game Design Challenge at GDC 2013. Using the theme of "Humanity's Last Game", Rohrer was inspired by cathedral architects whose projects wouldn't be completed until long after their lives ended. For that reason, Rohrer has done everything humanly possible to ensure that his game won't be played for generations, going so far as to bury it away from roads and populated areas. According to Rohrer, the location is so indistinguishable from its surroundings that even he isn't sure how he could find it again.

Since traditional playtesting wasn't an option, Rohrer built a digital version of the game to be completed by AI. This version was the one presented at GDC, with key features blocked out to prevent anyone from reproducing its mechanics. After the AI rooted out any imbalances, Rohrer produced the game using 30 pounds of titanium, including an 18 x 18 inch board and pieces. He also included rule diagrams printed on archival paper, sealed in a glass tube, and sealed again in titanium before burying it all in the desert.

While no one but Rohrer knows how the game is played, he's still giving players a sporting chance to find it. Rohrer has distributed over 900 sets of GPS coordinates to each person at the presentation, coming to over a million possible locations. Mathematically speaking, if one person were to visit a location each day with a metal detector, the game would be unearthed sometime within the next 2700 years. Short of a massive concentrated effort to find it this generation, it's far more likely that a scavenger or technology-laden futurist will stumble across the game when they least expect it. The only question is whether A Game for Someone, now a GDC award-winner, can live up to over 2000 years of hype.

Source: Joystiq
Image: <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Rock_Desert>Wikipedia

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
And then it turns out this game he created is shit, and laughed at by those Year 4000-ians.

I suppose he won't have to deal with any of the mocking I suppose.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Fanghawk said:
again[/i]

this doesn't seem right

on topic: god I hope it lives up to the hype : D!
and I'd really like to see it (the physical case and everything), because the description makes it sound pretty cool.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I need a flying saucer and a a way to produce an incredibly powerful magnetic field...
Something strong enough to attract every piece of titanium on the planet...

Maybe the real game is finding it...

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Rainforce said:
Fanghawk said:
again[/i]

this doesn't seem right

on topic: god I hope it lives up to the hype : D!
and I'd really like to see it (the physical case and everything), because the description makes it sound pretty cool.

Spotted that one myself. Thanks though!

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I really hate this modern art crap.
How is this art? You can't appreciate it, for all we know it's a game of snakes and ladders with a different name.

Captcha: Lardy-Dardy
Yes, that's exactly modern art.

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
josemlopes said:
Wait, it won an award and no one knows what it is about? That doesnt make much sense
The article on Polygon mentioned that it won the award based on audience voting. He must have had a very good presentation.

He grossly underestimates the Internet. The only thing the Internet loves more than cats are treasure hunts [citation needed].

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
...and inside the game will there be additional instructions on where the DLC is buried?

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Just wait until they make the gritty remake of this! They'll stash it away underwater or at the peak of a mountain.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
People will forget about this game, no one is going to dig in the desert for one stupid game.

Have they found where ET was burried? That was burried in the Nevada desert too.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
well this is awesome im just imaging some archeologist in the future accidently digging this one up.

i meant way in the future if we still exist, still its one hell of a dream.

Mar 30, 2010
And in a future reincarnation of Time Team, archaeologists will surmise that this will have been buried on a sacred site during a religious ceremony to honour the god of ... ... ... Oh bollocks to it - I can't even bring myself to finish my own snarky comment. Cool enough idea on the face of it, but in the overall scheme of things it accomplishes slightly less than fuck all.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Dammit, what joke are we all supposed to use now that Duke Nukem: Forever has been released!
This humor used to be so easy!