David Hayter: "Not My Choice" To Give Up Solid Snake

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

David Hayter says the idea of hearing someone else's voice coming from Solid Snake in Metal Gear V "makes me a little ill."

Some videogame characters are just about inextricably tied to their voice actors. James McCaffrey as Max Payne, for instance, or Stephen Russell as Garrett; there's also John J. Dick as Serious Sam, Jon St. John as Duke Nukem and of course David Hayter as Solid Snake, the man who is The Man in Metal Gear. But it came to light last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122946-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Drops-David-Hayter-As-Voice-Of-Solid-Snake] that Hayter won't be returning to the role for Metal Gear V; when asked, following the release of the debut trailer, if Konami had attempted to hire him to reprise the role, he responded with a simple, "Nope."

Hayter has now expanded on that response in a statement released today, in which he says he was told by a member of the Metal Gear production team, without reason or explanation, that his services would not be required for the new game - a decision that left him "bummed."

"To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year," Hayter wrote. "Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you're making an impact. And I love doing it."

"If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else's voice coming from Snake's battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest," he continued. "But the truth is -- it's not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that's fair. And I'll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level. But I didn't want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them. And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much."

The decision to exclude Hayter from a character he's voiced for nine games over 15 years is both unfortunate and, at least as far as I can tell, utterly inexplicable. And while I'm never one to trample on hope, the fact that Hayter is speaking out on the matter suggests that a dramatic change-of-mind such as Rockstar had with Max Payne 3 - it originally announced that a new voice actor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92408-Rockstar-Changes-Max-Payne-Voice-Actor] would take over the role before opting to bring McCaffrey back - is unlikely. From the outside looking in it's a strange move, and for fans of the franchise, a real shame, too.

Source: TwitLonger [http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjhhf9]

C.O.C

Aug 5, 2009
April fools... Please?
Hayter is solid snake don't try to fix something so gloriously not broken

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I am kind of skeptical about this... I know there was the posts about this days before but why is he calling it Metal Gear V and not Metal Gear Solid 5...? Just a thought...

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
As someone who is opposed to this change, based on the evidence presented to us, I would like to promote the petition to bring Hayter back!

As far as I can see, the only reason that Kojima got rid of him was because he, or someone else in Kojipro or Konami did not like him anymore. The new actor sounds like a pale comparison to Snake (As evidenced here) and doesn't even sound older, which would be logical.

The only thing I want is either Hayter back on the project or answers. Why doesn't Kojima want Hayter anymore?

And before anyone says "Kojima wants to reinvent the franchise and so wanted new actors, so respect his decisions" then take note Kojima is only changing Hayter, not the Japanese Snake or any of the cast revealed so far like Miller. Only Hayter. Besides, tossing out actors when you tire of them while people still love them strikes me as a very evil director.

I have never been upset at any decision Kojima has made before, not even at anything that happened in MGS4, but damn I don't want to see Hayter go. He IS Snake to us. It'd be like casting a new Indiana Jones for a new movie that is still set in the regular Indy canon. Like imagine a film set after the third one. Sean Connery is there all normal then on comes Clint Eastwood doing his best Harrison Ford impression. It's not right and it's pointless.

We are not ready for a world without the true Snake!

Calumon: He has such a nice beard... : (

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
This is actually old news. This was first brought up last week when the trailer came out. Its unfortunate, but true. We don't want to see Hayter go, but Kojima Studios had someone different in mind this time. :/ Ah well, we'll miss ya Hayter. No one can replace that iconic voice.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Read Hayter's quotes in Snake's voice. Also; I may be a little behind the times, there's going to be a fifth Metal Gear Solid? I was kindof under the impression there wasn't much left to do at the end of MGS4, give or take some fighting going on with the financial thing Drebin was monologueing about at the end.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
This makes little sense to me. Then again, most things born from Hideo Kojima's mind make little sense to me.

Let's hope this all turns out to be just some crafty misdirection. I'm not sure I'm ready to hear another voice come out of Snake, whether he be Naked or Solid.

LaughingAtlas said:
Read Hayter's quotes in Snake's voice. Also; I may be a little behind the times, there's going to be a fifth Metal Gear Solid? I was kindof under the impression there wasn't much left to do at the end of MGS4, give or take some fighting going on with the financial thing Drebin was monologueing about at the end.
From what we've seen so far MGS5 is supposedly going to take place somewhere between the events of Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'll freely admit I'm not much of a fan of the Metal Gear games, but this decision strikes even me as abject stupidity. Hayter IS Solid Snake- he's handled the role for a decade and a half, and he's definitely made it his own. This is as if Peter Jackson suddenly decided that Ian McKellen just "wasn't the right fit" to play Gandalf in The Hobbit.

And why hasn't Kojima said anything about this yet?

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I know that this stuff was brought up a while ago, but I'm still hoping this is just a giant long pre-April April fools joke. like the whole phantom pain trailer thing.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
This makes little sense to me. Then again, most things born from Hideo Kojima's mind make little sense to me.

Let's hope this all turns out to be just some crafty misdirection. I'm not sure I'm ready to hear another voice come out of Snake, whether he be Naked or Solid.
If you want to be technical about it, yes we have heard a different voice coming out of Naked Snake. MGS4 had Big Boss voiced by Richard Doyle. Although, I assume that was just because it would be odd to hear Hayter talking to Hayter.

Ecliptica Wolf

Apr 20, 2011
I think a petition is a bit far to be honest. I find it saddening that he won't be returning but what's done is done.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Have we seen any evidence that Solid Snake is in the game? It was Big Boss in the trailer who was voiced by Hayter, but also by another dude in 4. I don't know if it sounds like Hayter would have any inside info on that

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
8bitmaster said:
Proverbial Jon said:

If you want to be technical about it, yes we have heard a different voice coming out of Naked Snake. MGS4 had Big Boss voiced by Richard Doyle. Although, I assume that was just because it would be odd to hear Hayter talking to Hayter.
And that's probably why Big Boss/Naked Snake isn't being voiced by Hayter in MGSV. They're transitioning over to Richard Doyle's voice.

I don't know why everyone seems to be getting so upset over this. It's not like Hayter is never going to voice Solid Snake again. Just wait for the eventual remakes of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
I've got to say, I agree with all of this.

I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't have him as Snake.

I really hope that Kojima, and Konami see the error of their ways and hire Hayter back (as unlikely as it may seem) because the man just is Snake, and even knowing that it isn't the same guy - no matter how good he may be - will hinder the experience for Metal Gear Solid fans such as myself

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
8bitmaster said:
Proverbial Jon said:

I always thought having two completely different characters voiced by the same man in a very distinct manner was played very tongue-in-cheek. I know Snake is technically a clone of Big Boss and all that but it still felt like Kojima was always somewhere at the back giving us the nudge-nudge wink-wink where this was concerned.

Considering the impact that scene was supposed to have in MGS4, I can see why they didn't just have Snake talk to Snake. It would have been comical more than anything else. Besides, after all that time you can expect Big Boss to sound different. I'm just not sure I'm happy with outing David Hayter for someone doing a poor impression of David Hayter... that makes no sense.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
Here's one thing I was thinking.... all we know is Hayter isn't coming back to voice Big Boss (or Naked Snake). Maybe if they bring Solid back for any other missions (say for remakes of the original 2 metal gears, or some in between games like they're doing with Naked), maybe Hayter will be back. As far as we know, Hayter just isn't coming back for 5. We don't know that he's gone for good.

Mar 5, 2011
Why do companies always do this? Reminds me of the time that the they replaced Micheal Ironside with some guy in Splinter Cell: Blacklist who sounds like he's trying really, really hard to be Micheal Ironside.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Would it be childish of me to not buy the new Metal Gear if they don't hire David? I mean I even thought MGS4 was tolerable if just being the next logical step in the MGS universe? Even if it's kinda corny and bad in places? I still got enjoyment out of it. With Hayter still alive, and not being allowed to be Snake, takes away the experience. This is the guy who gave up half of his paycheck to get almost the entire cast back for Twin Snakes, this guy loved his role.