Check Out GTA V's Official Box Art

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Check Out GTA V's Official Box Art

Yep, it's a Grand Theft Auto game.

The saying goes "the more things change, the more they stay the same," and that certainly seems to be the case for the Grand Theft Auto series. Ever since Grand Theft Auto III, Rockstar's flagship crime franchise has undergone several facelifts, but the art that graces each new game box has carried a familiar feel. That trend continues with Grand Theft Auto V, and Rockstar has just revealed its official art selection for the upcoming title.

Like the box art for past GTA titles, GTA V's cover shows off some of the key characters in the storyline - in this case, Michael, Trevor, and Franklin. Check it out below and let us know what you think.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I really wish they changed the box arts to differentiate between the III saga. I'm pretty tired of seeing this design.

I'll probably make my own at some point in the future, print it off and use that.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Don't fix what ain't broke and that art ain't breaking any time soon.
Can't wait to do horrible, horrible things to those little pixel people.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its funny how the first row is most of the time composed of a heli, a face and a bike in that exact order

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Shinsei-J said:
Can't wait to do horrible, horrible things to those little pixel people.
Hey! Pixel people are people too! Now, you may not believe that and I may not believe that, but by God it's a useful hypocrisy.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
josemlopes said:
Its funny how the first row is most of the time composed of a heli, a face and a bike in that exact order
To be fair, GTA3 had a Heli, a face and another face in that order.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Like the box art for past GTA titles, GTA V's cover shows off some of the key characters in the storyline
Heh... you forgot to add "And some characters who will turn out to be not in the game at all."

Other than that... Eeeyup. Looks like a GTA Boxart to me.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
Are dogs confirmed in the game? I like the idea of dogs being around, but I'd be really worried about accidentally killing one when I was throwing grenades at grandmas or whatever. I'd be all, on my knees crying, holding a dog, with piles of dead people all around.

But imagine flying a two-seater Sopwith Camel type aeroplane with a dog in the back seat - sitting there with goggles and a scarf on, his tongue waggling in the wind ...

Joabbuac

Feb 23, 2010
My GTA3 boxart looks like this http://www.gtaunderground.com/GrandTheftAuto3/ps2boxartUK.jpg Kind of looks out of place in my collection.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Wow, you'd think GTA5 was the second coming of Christ with the amount of tiny updates we keep getting.

OMG SCREENS! WOAH BOXART! DUDE, THIS ONE HAS A DOG ON IT!

Pfft! At least Bioshock Infinite had some controversy with its boxart. Rockstar aren't even trying!

[small]Disclaimer: This post is a work of sarcasm. Any similarities to seriousness or actual constructive debate are pure coincidence. If you suffer from insult and offence as a result of this post, please consult a psychiatrist immediately.[/small]

Joabbuac said:
My GTA3 boxart looks like this http://www.gtaunderground.com/GrandTheftAuto3/ps2boxartUK.jpg Kind of looks out of place in my collection.
When they released it for the Xbox, sometime after the original PC release, it looked like this:

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
For some reason, the semi-realistic cell-shading of the art reminds me of A Scanner Darkly.

Other than that, it looks like GTA is walking the Final Fantasy path when it comes to diversity in composition.

Not that I mind, I still like these covers better than the generic "protagonist front and center with irrelevant background and huge title on top/center/bottom!!!"

Also, captcha: teh inter webs
Really? "teh inter webs"? It's a dark day when even the bots start using leetspeak.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I really cant wait for GTA5 to come out, one of the few games I'm actually looking forward to this year really.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Arqus_Zed said:
For some reason, the semi-realistic cell-shading of the art reminds me of A Scanner Darkly.

Other than that, it looks like GTA is walking the Final Fantasy path when it comes to diversity in composition.

Not that I mind, I still like these covers better than the generic "protagonist front and center with irrelevant background and huge title on top/center/bottom!!!"

Really? "teh inter webs"? It's a dark day when even the bots start using leetspeak.
eh, I quite like the FF cover style, it makes them look nice and unified on my shelf, while still giving each one a certain uniqueness, FF13 along with everything else wrong with the game has a completely different cover style, which annoys me no end. It just looks so out of place, which I suppose it is.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
elvor0 said:
Arqus_Zed said:

eh, I quite like the FF cover style, it makes them look nice and unified on my shelf, while still giving each one a certain uniqueness, FF13 along with everything else wrong with the game has a completely different cover style, which annoys me no end. It just looks so out of place, which I suppose it is.
What's this "Final Fantasy XIII" you speak of? Never heard of such a thing...

Yeah, I kind of like the FF covers as well. I am (was?) always curious to see what the new piece of artwork embroidered in the title will be and how it connects to the story. Of course, this all had a bigger impact in the days before internet and trailer streaming. If you didn't have any game magazines, you would buy a new Final Fantasy and have nothing to go on to decide what story, characters or world you would get into, except for that colored sliver of stylized artwork protruding from the black and white.

Well, until you turn the box around, of course... But still, good times.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Arqus_Zed said:
elvor0 said:
Arqus_Zed said:

What's this "Final Fantasy XIII" you speak of? Never heard of such a thing...

Yeah, I kind of like the FF covers as well. I am (was?) always curious to see what the new piece of artwork embroidered in the title will be and how it connects to the story. Of course, this all had a bigger impact in the days before internet and trailer streaming. If you didn't have any game magazines, you would buy a new Final Fantasy and have nothing to go on to decide what story, characters or world you would get into, except for that colored sliver of stylized artwork protruding from the black and white.

Well, until you turn the box around, of course... But still, good times.
It's funny you should say that actually, I once had a friend who bought FF7 with the belief that it would be a football game. His reasoning being the meteor looked like a football. Nevermind the back of the box, the game being called FF7 and the football looking like a meteor. But you're right, there was certainly something magical about only having the box itself to go on in terms of info.

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
I like how they put the word "five" over the V, like we've forgotten how roman numerals work.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
josemlopes said:
If I recall correctly the top left corner has had a helicopter with every game since GTA3.
I'm looking at my copies of San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and IV and it holds true with each of these. My copies of 3 and Vice City have some special boxart but I remember them being the same.
Also I really like GTA games apparently.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
jericu said:
I like how they put the word "five" over the V, like we've forgotten how roman numerals work.
You would be surprised at the number of people who dont know roman numerals.