Enter The Solid-State Drive Giveaway At The New Warcry

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Enter The Solid-State Drive Giveaway At The New Warcry

[http://www.warcry.com/]

As part of launch week, WarCry.com [http://warcry.com] is offering up a chance to win a super fast SSD.

I think we all know that solid-state storage is faster and more reliable than old fashioned spinning disc drives. Problem is, it's expensive - so we haven't all had the chance to upgrade yet. No worries, WarCry has you covered with a giveaway for a brand new Intel 330 Series 120gb Solid-State Drive. It's a wonderful piece of hardware - set it up with whatever games you're currently playing for the extra speed, and keep everything else on a regular drive.

Features:

Capacity: 120 GB
Interface: SATA 6Gb/s
NAND Flash: MLC
4KB Random Read (8GB span): up to 22,500 IOPS
4KB Random Write (8GB span): up to 33,000 IOPS

Enter to win the Intel 330 Series 120gb Solid-State Drive now! [http://www.warcry.com/contests/register/Intel330SSD]

Head on over to WarCry.com to get signed up for the giveaway. Don't need a solid-state drive? You might want to check out the codex [http://www.warcry.com/codex/freestuff] has more than 300 MMOs listed and categorized, and WarCry will help you keep your eye on upcoming MMOs with news and previews.

WarCry is going to be running promotions for hardware, beta keys, and free in-game currency all the time - so it's a great place to get started on a new game, or get a leg up in one you already play.

We'll keep you updated all week on the best contests coming out of WarCry. For now, sign up to win the SSD here. [http://www.warcry.com/contests/register/Intel330SSD]

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
You guys are trying so hard to make Warcry work. It's still just a laundry list of MMOs with no organization aside from which one's ad agency happened to hook you up.

Make the website worth visiting, then maybe you could cross-promote. Otherwise it screams "Look at me! I have to resort to 1920s marketing schemes! I'm not worth your time!"

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I have to admit that the prize they are offering isn't exactly enticing either. A SSD that's basically under par for SSD size and average for read/write speed? I think if they really want to get people interested, they should have invested in getting one of the new 512GB models; that's one I'm certain a lot of people would have interest in, even if they already own a SSD or not.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Dr.Awkward said:
I have to admit that the prize they are offering isn't exactly enticing either. A SSD that's basically under par for SSD size and average for read/write speed? I think if they really want to get people interested, they should have invested in getting one of the new 512GB models; that's one I'm certain a lot of people would have interest in, even if they already own a SSD or not.
If you don't own an SSD, any SSD is an improvement.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Ympulse said:
You guys are trying so hard to make Warcry work. It's still just a laundry list of MMOs with no organization aside from which one's ad agency happened to hook you up.

Make the website worth visiting, then maybe you could cross-promote. Otherwise it screams "Look at me! I have to resort to 1920s marketing schemes! I'm not worth your time!"
They also have MMO related news articles on the site.

I'm just happy the prize isn't US only! Kind of sucks for everyone in continental Europe, but at least they're expanding the participant possibilities!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
More reliable? I though that one of the downsides was that they don't tend to live as long as hard disks. The biggest advantage is the ridiculous speed you can move files around on them, which makes them great for booting windows and loading applications, but really that's the limit, it won't affect in game performance except those load times.

SSD's are very nice system drives regardless.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
SkarKrow said:
More reliable? I though that one of the downsides was that they don't tend to live as long as hard disks. The biggest advantage is the ridiculous speed you can move files around on them, which makes them great for booting windows and loading applications, but really that's the limit, it won't affect in game performance except those load times.

Yeah, this is why it's better to just use it for your windows stuff, and have your games stowed on a separate, larger HDD that's cheaper. 120 GB is fine for holding your OS and certain loading hogs like Adobe software :p

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
SkarKrow said:

It's really only a concern if you're hosting a database on your SSD. For the standard consumer there's no appreciable difference, or at least that's my understanding.

I keep all my data on a separate drive, but that's mainly because I don't have the budget for multiple high capacity SSDs to use in a RAID.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
weirdguy said:
SkarKrow said:

Yeah, this is why it's better to just use it for your windows stuff, and have your games stowed on a separate, larger HDD that's cheaper. 120 GB is fine for holding your OS and certain loading hogs like Adobe software :p
Yeah thats pretty much what I'd been told and such. Good to be sure xP

cidbahamut said:
SkarKrow said:

It's really only a concern if you're hosting a database on your SSD. For the standard consumer there's no appreciable difference, or at least that's my understanding.

I keep all my data on a separate drive, but that's mainly because I don't have the budget for multiple high capacity SSDs to use in a RAID.
Ehhh I suppose it depends how much you abuse your storage drives and mine get some serious abuse through them. I wouldn't use solid state as my only storage though, far too expensive. A nice small one as a system drive or for a router is very nice though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow that it alot of giveaway well good ones (not that interested in the games giveaway). Look like I will enter it, putting my chances if lady luck favour me again.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
SkarKrow said:

MLC flash can survive ~10,000 write cycles. I forgot where I found it, I'll try and get it in an edit, but one of the major tech sites calculated that it would take an SSD roughly 10 years to wear out (with TRIM and wear leveling in effect) if you performed roughly 20GB of data writes a day (which is moderate to high).

If you treat your hard disk really well, it will technically last forever. However the fact is that between mas manufacturing for the cheapest price and the way we treat our machines in the day-to-day, HDD's and SSD's really don't have much between them as far as reliability is concerned. They simply die in different ways.

Load times is the name of the game, are you making that "in game performance" comment in response to someone above? Nobody should ever think that. When it comes to render, it's the CPU and GPU coupled with memory.

I run a Samsung 830 128GB alongside my 1TB F3. I can't go back, now. I just can't.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Griffolion said:
SkarKrow said:

MLC flash can survive ~10,000 write cycles. I forgot where I found it, I'll try and get it in an edit, but one of the major tech sites calculated that it would take an SSD roughly 10 years to wear out (with TRIM and wear leveling in effect) if you performed roughly 20GB of data writes a day (which is moderate to high).

If you treat your hard disk really well, it will technically last forever. However the fact is that between mas manufacturing for the cheapest price and the way we treat our machines in the day-to-day, HDD's and SSD's really don't have much between them as far as reliability is concerned. They simply die in different ways.

Load times is the name of the game, are you making that "in game performance" comment in response to someone above? Nobody should ever think that. When it comes to render, it's the CPU and GPU coupled with memory.

I run a Samsung 830 128GB alongside my 1TB F3. I can't go back, now. I just can't.
No I was simply stating what I understoof about the benefits of an SSD and you're right, load times is the name of the game, but outside of that it doesn't have an impact on performance, and a good fast 7200RPM HDD is acceptable for game loading times, hell even my shitty 5600rpm gets by for loading games. Dunno if it'd be a life changer in an mmo but for shooters and strategy games it's never impeded me being a few seconds late to the party.

When I get my shit together I'm putting an SSD in as my primary system drive and keeping games on my delicious 3TB barracuda.

Edit: Honestly I've never had an HDD die on me, or any flash cards. Ever, I guess it's all about luck really. Now CPU's? Those I've killed, killed a graphics card too.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
itchcrotch said:
I could go for one of those.
They are expensive though, I want SSD's to replace hard drives. It shouldn't be long. A few years, tops.
When you can get terabyte SSD that are reliable and cheap, that's when I'll come to this SSD party.