Shin Megami Tensei IV Coming to North America This Summer

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Shin Megami Tensei IV Coming to North America This Summer

Atlus has announced that North American gamers will get a chance to play the long-awaited sequel this summer.

It's been some time since the last numbered Shin Megami Tensei game was released, and though the intervening years have seen a variety of quality spin-offs, fans of the main series have been left wondering when they'd see a new game. They got their answer in <a href=https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/05/30/shin-megami-tensei-4-announced-for-3ds.aspx>May of 2012, when it was revealed that Shin Megami Tensei IV was in development for the 3DS. The game has since been slated for a May 23rd release in Japan, and now, Atlus has revealed that Shin Megami Tensei IV will also be heading to North America this summer.

"The return of the legendary Shin Megami Tensei series is one of the biggest milestones yet for ATLUS and the 3DS," said Naoto Hiraoka, president and CEO of Index Digital Media Inc, parent company of Atlus. "Since this is the first title from the original SMT series in a decade, we tapped the best developers from many of ATLUS' acclaimed projects including Nocturne, Strange Journey, Persona, and Soul Hackers to create a premium experience that lives up to our fans' and our own expectations."

Atlus has made some lofty promises for the the new game including choice moments that can shape the course of the story and more than four hundred unique demons for players to collect and experiment with. Not that the franchise is any stranger to depth. Shin Megami Tensei games are famous for being huge experiences and the series' spin-offs alone are an impressive array of titles known for their complexity.

Currently, there has been no specific release date set for the North American release of the game, but JRPG fans can rest easy knowing that they have a whole new reason to look forward to summer.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
But what about Europe? We never got to see Strange Journey officially. I only got to play it thanks to the DS lacking region locking. The 3DS, however, is region locked. SMT is one of my favourite series and I'd hate to miss out over that kind of bullshit.

CAPTCHA: How many kilometers are on your car?

I don't have a car, CAPTCHA...

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
i hope that include Europe as-well, seeing as i had to import both devil survivor and strange journey and the whole 3ds region lock kind of stifles that plan ha.

i am interested in this game tho, i heard they have a new artist doing alot of the assets, its always fun to see what weird take on mythical figures that the megami series goes with.

come on atlus dont screw me on this, i love you to much

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
All of these great 3DS games are making my Vita jealous...

OT: I've never actually played an SMT game from the main series before. I've been wanting to try 3/Nocturne for a while, but I just can't seem to find a copy.

Anyway, I'm gonna need to "borrow" my sister's 3DS so I can play this, along with Fire Emblem and Pokemon X. >->

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Sooner than I thought! Gonna have to get a 2nd job over the summer to afford the 3ds along with this. I can't wait to see what Lucifer looks like in this one!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
What happened to making JRPGs for HOME consoles?

Not everyone likes staring at a tiny screen all day with some shitty 3D tacked on.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Now give us some information about Persona 5.
Sorry to dissapoint you ATLUS, but for me SMT stopped being relevant once you released Persona 3.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I'll get it but ...
What about Auuuuuuuuustraaaaaaaaliaaaaaaa!!!???

You haven't even released Persona Arena here yet!
You better not hold out on us for this or persona 5. D:<

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Wow, I am really counting my blessing that I live in the US. I wonder why Europe always gets shafted with Japanese localization's, I have heard the Pal format argument for home consoles but this is a hand held, why would it be different.

Well, I can wait it out with Soul Hackers.

Sep 9, 2007
StormShaun said:
I'll get it but ...
What about Auuuuuuuuustraaaaaaaaliaaaaaaa!!!???

You haven't even released Persona Arena here yet!
You better not hold out on us for this or persona 5. D:<
What about Australia? Its been proven time and again that Index Holdings (Atlus' parent company) isn't really that interested in releasing to Europe & Australia, so at best there will probably be a 6 month delay, if it comes out over here at all.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
l3o2828 said:
Now give us some information about Persona 5.
Sorry to dissapoint you ATLUS, but for me SMT stopped being relevant once you released Persona 3.
eh ... I donno about that, love me some P4 but the high school bits get bloody fucking annoying after awhile.

kinda eager for a straight up SMT game with out the Social Link malarkey.

a 'you just destroyed everything' ending would be nice as well :3

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I'm actually pretty excited for this. I'll need to try and pick up a 3DS by the time this comes out. I'm sure I'll be able to keep myself busy with Tales of the Abyss until this comes out though. Also, I've never played an actualy MT or SMT title before, just Persona 3+4, neither of which I have beaten yet, and I just bought P 2 on Saturday on PSN, which I have yet to play, so this will be my first actual SMT title I ever play. I'm hoping it will be like what Fire Emblem Awakening apparently was to a lot of newcomers, and turn newcomers such as myself onto the SMT titles in general. I also wish they'd put SMT III on PSN, I wanna play that game dammit!

P.S, this is one of the few times that make me glad to be in the US, and not Europe or Australia. I'd go insane trying to wait forever for any JRPG release from Atlus considering that pretty much all I play are JRPGs.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No offense, Atlus, but this tidbit of good news is soured by mention of the 3DS. I'm not going to own one and you guys usually put these games on bigger consoles. (That is, consoles get the big releases and then handhelds get a version of it AS WELL.) This seems to be a bad move to me. Love the company, hate this particular decision.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
So I guess means that we Brits can expect to be able to play it this time next year then?
I just hope they don't give it to the same people who ported Persona 4 Arena.
'We have the game, and it's translated, we're just going to hold on to it for another 6 months for no reason and not give you any idea of when, or if, the game is going to be released.'

Jun 26, 2009
I still don't get why it's a 3DS exclusive, they're only shooting themselves in the foot.

I'd say something about the UK/Europe/Australia not getting it for ages, but people have already noted this. Atlus are terrible for shipping stuff outside of NA.

Fractral said:
So I guess means that we Brits can expect to be able to play it this time next year then?
I just hope they don't give it to the same people who ported Persona 4 Arena.
'We have the game, and it's translated, we're just going to hold on to it for another 6 months for no reason and not give you any idea of when, or if, the game is going to be released.'
At least we get a Vinyl [http://www.destructoid.com//ul/249745-persona-4-arena-getting-vinyl-soundtrack-pre-order-bonus/gm_widget_Persona4Arena-noscale.jpg], right?

That makes everything better, RIGHT?!

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Well I was excited until I read 3DS. I mean why just a 3DS? It's going to be a long game to play and I'd rather do that looking at a big screen on a comfortable sofa with little risk of neck cramp or eye squinting. Plus being in Britain I wonder when it would be released here, not that I'd bother going out to get a 3DS for this.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
I still don't get why it's a 3DS exclusive, they're only shooting themselves in the foot.
Not really.

To put a game on a console now days means spending an obscene amount of money on graphics, and other aspects suffer as a result.

It's why all the Megaten games have been released on the DS since they stopped releasing them on the PS2.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Europe when? I don't want to wait a few years like with Persona 4 (fucking) Arena. Why do the nips hate Europe?

Lost In The Void said:
Why the 3DS? C'mon give my Vita more love Atlus...
The Vita has XSEED and XSEED is really good.