Sega Admits to Inaccurate Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sega Admits to Inaccurate Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailer

Sega has officially acknowledged that trailers advertising Aliens: Colonial Marines "did not accurately reflect" the game.

Remember how great those Aliens: Colonial Marines trailers looked? And then the game came out and people were all, "Wait a minute," because it somehow didn't look so great, and everyone was wondering what happened? Sega claims the discrepancies weren't actually its fault, but has now acknowledged that the promos are not an accurate representation of the game.

Prompted by a complaint from Reddit user "Subpardave," the U.K.'s Advertising Standards Authority contacted Sega to inquire about the ads. "[Sega Europe] explained that their online trailers used demo footage, created using the in-game engine," the ASA said in a letter sent to Subpardave. "Sega Europe understood the objections raised about the quality of the game in relation to the trailers, but explained that they weren't aware of these issues when the trailers were produced, in some cases several months before release."

"Sega Europe acknowledged your objection that the trailers did not accurately reflect the final content of the game," the letter states. "They agreed to add a disclaimer, both on their website and in all relevant YouTube videos, which explains that the trailers depict footage of the demo versions of the game. The disclaimer will be visible when each online trailer is played."

The ASA "informally" upheld the complaint, publishing the resolution on its website [http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications.aspx?SearchTerms=sega#2], but as nice as a public admission to inaccurate advertising may be, its value is questionable at best. People unaware of the Colonial Marines fiasco who see that disclaimer are, I would think, far more likely to assume that the final product is better, not worse, than the promo. After all, you see "not representative of the final product" disclaimers on promo materials all the time; unless there's more to it than suggested by the ASA letter, how is this any different?

Source: Reddit [http://imgur.com/QyR4adq]

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
Could you idiots (SEGA) just stick with butchering Sonic from now on?
You know I think Gearbox is to be blamed for this one. Sega just gave them the money and signed a contract thinking they will deliver a good game. Gearbox acted unprofessionally neglecting their agreement and focusing more on Boarderlands 2 and outsourcing development of Aliens which eventually impacted the quality of the game.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I still feel pretty sorry for SEGA in this. They were pretty much screwed over by Gearbox and their mistake was basically not being aggressive and horrible enough to the developers.

And then after years of no work, finally the devs give Sega something that looks decent, their PR team flouts it to the world and then it all gets ripped back out and it turns out doesn't actually function in game

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
if it was demo footage WTF happened to the good demo?!

Captcha: rhode island

Good idea Captcha! Maybe rhode island can give these guy advice on how to make games considering how well it went last time

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
kajinking said:
if it was demo footage WTF happened to the good demo?!
The problem is that there was never an actual game "demo" it was a demo indeed, but not from the game, the guys that did that one have said that they were told to make the demo as impresive as it could be, no matter what the actual game was like.

False advertisement at its best.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
For those of you that played through Bioshock Infinite, look up the 2010 'gameplay footage'on yourtube. Elizabeth commanding the weather and using telekinesis. Entire set pieces that are never seen in the game (like the awesome collapsing bell tower).

Gameplay demos are not to be trusted, ever. Just wait for the game to come out, and then wait for the reviews to flow in.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Sega claims the discrepancies weren't actually its fault
It was your fault, SEGA. It was your job to make sure Gearbox was doing their job. You failed, and thus you share some of the blame for the game and the trailers/demos being different.

Also you share some of the blame for screwing myself and many other people out of our hard earned money. I'm sick of seeing people saying "Oh poor SEGA, Gearbox screwed them over." No, not poor SEGA. Poor us. Gearbox screwed SEGA over because SEGA let themselves get screwed over, and then SEGA turned around and screwed us over. Fuck SEGA.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
So...what are they actually admitting? That there's a problem but it was totally not their fault so they can just slap "from demo" on their videos, but not actually clarify what the issue is, thereby washing their hands of legal liability?

Am I supposed to clap for them or something? This is such a huge first step for Sega.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
weirdguy said:
So...what are they actually admitting? That there's a problem but it was totally not their fault so they can just slap "from demo" on their videos, but not actually clarify what the issue is, thereby washing their hands of legal liability?

Am I supposed to clap for them or something? This is such a huge first step for Sega.
Basically they're sayin that they made the footage thinkin it was representative of the final product, or at the very least that it looked great and they could sell it to people. They're still sayin they had no idea that the game was completely not representative of the material that Gearbox actually made.

mjc0961 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Sega claims the discrepancies weren't actually its fault
It was your fault, SEGA. It was your job to make sure Gearbox was doing their job. You failed, and thus you share some of the blame for the game and the trailers/demos being different.

Also you share some of the blame for screwing myself and many other people out of our hard earned money. I'm sick of seeing people saying "Oh poor SEGA, Gearbox screwed them over." No, not poor SEGA. Poor us. Gearbox screwed SEGA over because SEGA let themselves get screwed over, and then SEGA turned around and screwed us over. Fuck SEGA.
Yeah, Fuck SEGA for doin what so many people wish publishers would do! Give their developers as much leeway as they need to make the greatest game possible.

The true fuck you goes to Gearbox here, no ifs ands or buts about it. They fucked everyone over. They squandered the resources SEGA gave them to make Aliens Colonial Marines. They tried to shift the blame to a completely different developer that they themselves picked out to make the game while they worked on Borderlands. They're the ones who sold the game knowin fully and completely that it was nowhere near as good as what people thought it was.

Not only did they willfully and purposely fuck over the consumers, they've now given the biggest example to publishers on why they should keep the reigns as tight as possible on developers. Don't listen to them when they ask for extensions. Don't throw money at them when they say they need more. Don't give them any sort of leeway whatsoever. Why? Because when SEGA gave Gearbox that inch, they ran as fast and as far as they could with it and ended up fuckin everyone over.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Well, I guess we won't see anymore Gearbox games getting published by Sega...

Captcha: Captcha in the Rye

Sep 24, 2008
shintakie10 said:
mjc0961 said:

Yeah, Fuck SEGA for doin what so many people wish publishers would do! Give their developers as much leeway as they need to make the greatest game possible.

The true fuck you goes to Gearbox here, no ifs ands or buts about it. They fucked everyone over. They squandered the resources SEGA gave them to make Aliens Colonial Marines. They tried to shift the blame to a completely different developer that they themselves picked out to make the game while they worked on Borderlands. They're the ones who sold the game knowin fully and completely that it was nowhere near as good as what people thought it was.

Not only did they willfully and purposely fuck over the consumers, they've now given the biggest example to publishers on why they should keep the reigns as tight as possible on developers. Don't listen to them when they ask for extensions. Don't throw money at them when they say they need more. Don't give them any sort of leeway whatsoever. Why? Because when SEGA gave Gearbox that inch, they ran as fast and as far as they could with it and ended up fuckin everyone over.
you know, I'm with mjc here.

Back when I worked in Construction with my dad, ignorance was never a feasible excuse for half assed stuff. We saw a lot of Contractors go through with substandard work. And as a consequence, a lot of unlivable apartments were passed off as good.

The client has a responsibility to the renter as we have the building code. Even if the contractors are the ones who messed up, the client as the owner is responsible for any complaint a renter has as long as it is a grievance that the building code validates. I.e. The Renter can't sue because the paint is hideous, but the Renter can complain and sue if there's not enough ventilation in the apartment.

It is the responsibility of the client (representing SEGA in this analogy) to talk to the Architect and make sure the building is being designed as planned. Most serious clients and architects have building tours two times every month at the very least. I balk at the idea that Sega couldn't have been arsed to stick it's head at least four times in the Six freaking years (Sega annouced they were working on it December 11 2006 and that Gearbox was taking the lead on December 15 of the same year) and say "Shit, Gearbox, what are you doing here? My name is on the line."

December 11 2006 to Feburary 12 2013. And Sega had no idea what was happening? Even if that was true, they earned this backlash. Because that is the stupidest thing any owner could ever do, just attach their name to a product and not have idea what what's going on with it.

captcha: surf and turf. I don't have any idea what drugs you're smoking, Captcha, but I like your style.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, I still see Sega as responsible for overseeing the work. It's not as if they have to micromanage them or demand random things...just being able to see their work in action (not even a demo, just an actual piece of work in action) would have at least hinted at the rate of development. Developer being a derp? Derp should have their asses keelhauled for not delivering (especially when money's been paid), by the appropriate party, which is Sega.

Even not regarding that, I think Sega still should take responsibility as the highest ranking part of this mess, just because they need a unified leader to make amends for the issue. Trying to dodge culpability in this manner speaks of a desire to sweep the issue under the rug, rather than settle it in the way a responsible party does.

However, the main reason why shipping a box of crap was their "best" option is still the fault of a market which would pull their money from a product if the company was open about not having their product ready for launch. There really isn't any other way around those circumstances as our human expectations aren't really built to work that way.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Wow. So Sega admits the trailer inaccuracies AFTER being inquired by the ASA? You see Sega? Just because we were distracted getting farted on our faces by EA/Maxis and the disastrous Sim City launch, doesn't mean we forgot about you Gearbox and Colonial Marines.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
shintakie10 said:
mjc0961 said:

Back when I worked in Construction with my dad, ignorance was never a feasible excuse for half assed stuff. We saw a lot of Contractors go through with substandard work. And as a consequence, a lot of unlivable apartments were passed off as good.

The client has a responsibility to the renter as we have the building code. Even if the contractors are the ones who messed up, the client as the owner is responsible for any complaint a renter has as long as it is a grievance that the building code validates. I.e. The Renter can't sue because the paint is hideous, but the Renter can complain and sue if there's not enough ventilation in the apartment.

It is the responsibility of the client (representing SEGA in this analogy) to talk to the Architect and make sure the building is being designed as planned. Most serious clients and architects have building tours two times every month at the very least. I balk at the idea that Sega couldn't have been arsed to stick it's head at least four times in the Six freaking years (Sega annouced they were working on it December 11 2006 and that Gearbox was taking the lead on December 15 of the same year) and say "Shit, Gearbox, what are you doing here? My name is on the line."

December 11 2006 to Feburary 12 2013. And Sega had no idea what was happening? Even if that was true, they earned this backlash. Because that is the stupidest thing any owner could ever do, just attach their name to a product and not have idea what what's going on with it.

captcha: surf and turf. I don't have any idea what drugs you're smoking, Captcha, but I like your style.
I've never said SEGA doesn't deserve some blame. I remember my second reaction to this entire fiasco bein "Did no one in 6 years even ask so hows the game we paid you to make coming along?" That was still after my first reaction of "So Gearbox just blatantly ripped everyone off here huh? Well, that sucks ass."

edit - I just had a captcha that asked me to describe this brand in my own words. I wrote shitty shitty crap crap shitty shitty crap crap shitty crap and it let me post.

How fuckin useless was that captcha at stoppin spam?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
ObsidianJones said:

The problem is, as a producer, if you were to rap Gearbox over the knuckles about their failure with the title what then? Development studios are notorious for not being able to handle even the slightest of financial woes - what if they were to be sued for breach of contract? It's essentially trying to get blood out of a stone. I think Sega saw the mess, discussed their options and decided to cut their losses.

It's like with banks, if you owe the bank $100,000 they've got you by the balls. If you owe the bank $1,000,000,000 you've got THEM by the balls.

Gearbox was given the leeway that we wish Bioware was given by EA. Gearbox was given the leeway we wish Obsidian was given by Bethesda. All they've done is poo-pooed on the idea of giving a proven AAA developer the leeway to operate and produce a game without suits mucking the whole thing up. Prepare for more Sim City, Diablo III, Dragon Age II and Dead Space III negative producer influence.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
shintakie10 said:
I've never said SEGA doesn't deserve some blame. I remember my second reaction to this entire fiasco bein "Did no one in 6 years even ask so hows the game we paid you to make coming along?" That was still after my first reaction of "So Gearbox just blatantly ripped everyone off here huh? Well, that sucks ass."

edit - I just had a captcha that asked me to describe this brand in my own words. I wrote shitty shitty crap crap shitty shitty crap crap shitty crap and it let me post.

Odds are SEGA had full knowledge about the game's state before review copies went out. Don't forget that they implemented a review embargo until after release. That's usually a good sign that they knew it was terrible but didn't care.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
LordLundar said:
shintakie10 said:

Odds are SEGA had full knowledge about the game's state before review copies went out. Don't forget that they implemented a review embargo until after release. That's usually a good sign that they knew it was terrible but didn't care.
And I dont really blame them for that decision. As Abomination above points out, by the point the game was in a releasable state, or more likely SEGA finally had enough of the stalls and called Gearbox's bluff about needin more time, they didn't have a choice. You release the game and pray you get some sort of return on investment.

Its exactly like DNF in that regard. After a certain point and a certain amount of money spent, you can't justify goin "Whelp, thats a loss. Toss it in the trash." You have to try and get some sort of money out of that turd no matter how turd like it is.

Again, should SEGA have kept better tabs on Gearbox? Totally. I'm disturbed that they gave Gearbox the kind of leverage that only a company like Blizzard usually gets especially when, at that point, they weren't remotely what was considered a big player. However the fact is they gave a developer the kind of leeway that every one on this forum wishes developers got and Gearbox took that gift and shat all over it, then tried to give it to us as a gift. There's no way any publisher will give a developer this kind of freedom after this debacle.