The Dark Knight Returns' Robin Entering DCU Continuity

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
The Dark Knight Returns' Robin Entering DCU Continuity

New 52[/I] version of Carrie Kelley will become the new Robin, but it would be pretty cool. She's a great character introduced in a great story, and hopefully DC can continue to capture her spunky personality in future issues of Batman and Red Robin. The comic in which she'll first appear, Batman and Red Robin #19, hits comic shops on April 10.

Source: The Mary Sue [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44742]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Woah, woah, woah... hold the phone, Frank Miller wrote a female character that was interesting and likable... AND WASN'T A STRIPPER!? Im not actually making a joke here, this is nice to see, now I don't feel as bad when I tell people that I really like 300.

AoAnubis

Apr 2, 2013
I haven't kept up with the B&R too much. I think I have the first 10 but after that I had to stop picking them up, financial reasons more than anything. When I found out what they were going to do to Damian and what they did do, I was super sad.

I am excited however to see what DC does with Carrie Kelly. My friends and I often have conversations about how she was one of the best Robins, even though her career was extremely short lived.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
PunkRex said:
Woah, woah, woah... hold the phone, Frank Miller wrote a female character that was interesting and likable... AND WASN'T A STRIPPER!?
It was a long time ago. He's got over it since.

Actually, along with this version of Robin he created Elektra, who was quite a strong female character, and his mini-series for Dark Horse, Give Me Liberty, also had a female lead. It's really only since Sin City that he's gone downhill, but between that, The Dark Knight Strikes Again and Holy Terror he's really gone way downhill.

OT: Bloody hell, DC - what's the point of making a big deal out of a fresh start if you're just going to mine your old stuff for material anyway?

Oh right, hype and issue 1 sales. Okay, nevermind...

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Not worth killing Damian Wayne. Cool character, but not worth it. Seriously DC, can you not keep things out of the status quo for more than a single bloody year?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Sixcess said:
PunkRex said:
Woah, woah, woah... hold the phone, Frank Miller wrote a female character that was interesting and likable... AND WASN'T A STRIPPER!?
It was a long time ago. He's got over it since.

Actually, along with this version of Robin he created Elektra, who was quite a strong female character, and his mini-series for Dark Horse, Give Me Liberty, also had a female lead. It's really only since Sin City that he's gone downhill, but between that, The Dark Knight Strikes Again and Holy Terror he's really gone way downhill.

OT: Bloody hell, DC - what's the point of making a big deal out of a fresh start if you're just going to mine your old stuff for material anyway?

Oh right, hype and issue 1 sales. Okay, nevermind...
Thats my bad for not really reading western super hero comics.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Wait, Kelley? Why not bring back Stephanie Brown? Instead they're borrowing cues from the legendary--

Oh sorry, i meant infamous and ragingly stupid Frank Miller? C'mon DC! You should be smarter than that!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Pyramid Head said:
Wait, Kelley? Why not bring back Stephanie Brown? Instead they're borrowing cues from the legendary--

Oh sorry, i meant infamous and ragingly stupid Frank Miller? C'mon DC! You should be smarter than that!

I was thinking the same thing, I really didn't read any of the comics Stephanie was in, but she was a really awesome character.

Also, obligatory: Saaaaay... -checks watch- it's Miller time.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Tank207 said:
Pyramid Head said:

I was thinking the same thing, I really didn't read any of the comics Stephanie was in, but she was a really awesome character.

Also, obligatory: Saaaaay... -checks watch- it's Miller time.

That reminds me. When's the next History of Power Rangers? I want to see the review for Power Rangers RPM before the bombs go off and i become a Ghoul.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
DRTJR said:
My movie bob scenes are tingling.
Indeed. I can almost feel the storm clouds of comic-nerdage gathering in the distance...I must be going, it will be dark soon.

Zeraki

Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Pyramid Head said:
That reminds me. When's the next History of Power Rangers? I want to see the review for Power Rangers RPM before the bombs go off and i become a Ghoul.
I honestly have no clue. I only just recently started watching Linkara's stuff, so my knowledge of what he has done is quite limited. I have however watched all of his "Miller Time" stuff.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Tank207 said:
Pyramid Head said:
I honestly have no clue. I only just recently started watching Linkara's stuff, so my knowledge of what he has done is quite limited. I have however watched all of his "Miller Time" stuff.
It takes a little digging to find some of it. One of his "Miller Time" moments was under the reviews of Film Brain, where he reviewed The Spirit which was directed by Frank Miller.
Incidentally regardless of what people say, The Spirit makes it very clear Miller loathed Will Eisner. Sweet fucking Jah, that movie hurt as much as Fantastic Four.

Zeraki

Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Pyramid Head said:
It takes a little digging to find some of it. One of his "Miller Time" moments was under the reviews of Film Brain, where he reviewed The Spirit which was directed by Frank Miller.
Incidentally regardless of what people say, The Spirit makes it very clear Miller loathed Will Eisner. Sweet fucking Jah, that movie hurt as much as Fantastic Four.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. The Spirit was a pretty horrible movie from what I can remember. The only moment in the movie I found remotely entertaining was the scene where Sam Jackson turned up dressed as a Nazi... and that is pretty much the only thing I remember of that movie, since I bleached the rest of it from my mind.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Should be interesting, though I was hoping on Harper Row being the next Robin somewhere down the line, Carrie should be good though, as she was pretty ace in TDKR.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
For some reason her face in that iamge remind me of Gwen (Ben Ten) but with glasses.
Also will her parent be pot heads/ stoners like in the comic (ok you didn't exactly see it, only their shadows but it was kind of hinted as that as they pretty much neglected her).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
All I can say is that Batman having a son at all, and then that son becoming Robin never really clicked with me, so I'm not all that sorry to see Damien go. That said, it seems to me that they are floundering around for another Robin that will "click" with audiences like Dick or Tim did, and truthfully this seems like another attempt doomed for failure because Robin is iconically "The Boy Wonder". Having Carrie turn up at college age doesn't strike me as being workable when you get past the gender issues, because that's the age when Robins are supposed to you know... be getting ready to move on. She's also arguably a bit too old to train this way, and if one gives her training to begin with it raises all kinds of questions about how much she'd really need Batman, when the issue of the relationship between Batman and Robin has largely been one of co-dependance.

We'll see where this goes, but overall it seems to me that they are just having a character show up in "Batman" that has the same name as a Robin from an "Elseworlds" story (albiet a popular one) who may or may not wind up doing a stint as the current Robin, I think the idea is to test things out and see how fans react to the idea.

If they want to go with a girl Robin, I tend to agree they should have gone with Stephanie Brown/Spoiler again, even if she's the same age as Tim (having been his girlfriend) she's someone who at least needs an emotional anchor. What's more Batman does owe her an apology (not sure if that ever happened) and it can be argued she already has some training, not so much from her brief stint with Batman, but from Tim and Cassandra Cain, so she can step into the role fairly well, and to be honest she's not all that effective in general so isn't likely to steal the shown for quite a while until she improves a lot more.

That said, I still think Robin should be a boy.

I'll also mention that I suspect that they decided to make Carrie college age to avoid the whole issue of pedophillia/jailbait if she was to become Robin. There were all kinds of jokes about Batman and Robin and their relationship, but they were in part funny because it was obviously not true if you read the comics. If you start having some eternally 35 year old dude with some 12-13 year old runaway girl or whatever, your basically asking for people in today's increasingly paranoid society to start calling it creepy, no matter how it turns out in the comics. Especially if you start thinking about things realistically, and open the likely door that say some young girl in a position like that would probably wind up crushing on Batman/Gothams Most Eligible Bachelor heavily... it could be interesting, but I can see why DC wouldn't want to even begin to explore how that might play out and deal with the reactions to the situation even when Batman predictably just remained a mentor/father figure.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I really liked the two animated movies but couldn't really take to Carrie as a character.

Maybe shes better in the comic though, I can't comment on that.