Papo & Yo Launches for PC This Month

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Papo & Yo Launches for PC This Month

Preorders are available for the former PS3 exclusive, and you'll get a digital soundtrack for the effort.

Papo & Yo is a great recent example of how games are definitively art. Inspired by creative director Vander Caballero's childhood, the game uses adventure-based puzzles to tell <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9870-Papo-Yo-Review>a moving story about child abuse, creativity, and innocence. Papo & Yo was originally a PS3 exclusive, but developer Minority has revealed that the PC version is set to launch in just a couple of weeks. Pre-orders are available from various digital distributors at a 10% discount, while the full soundtrack has been thrown in as an early buyer bonus.

Players take on the role of Quico, a young boy whose best friend is a huge creature named Monster. Despite the pair's affection for each other, Monster also happens to be addicted to poisonous green frogs, which transform the kind-hearted pal into a violent, uncontrollable beast. When Quico learns that a shaman might be able to cure the addiction, the pair set out on an adventure to save Monster and their friendship.

The PC version has a few upgrades distinguishing it from the PSN predecessor. The control system, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9870-Papo-Yo-Review>one of the biggest drawbacks in our review of the game, has been reworked and improved. Full controller support will be included via Steam's Big Picture Mode, allowing players to use the controller of their choice. A variety of graphical upgrades been added, ranging from more detailed character animations to improved cinematics. Finally, Papo & Yo for PC supports multiple monitors, although how that will affect gameplay remains to be seen.

Papo & Yo for PC launches April 18th for $15, or you can pre-order now for $13.49. The game can be purchased via Steam.

Source: Minority Blog

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I went ahead and pre-ordered it, because A) I support the premise, B) this is a perfect example of an independent developer pushing the envelope, and C) it actually does look really interesting.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I still have little interest in actually playing the same myself, I am greatly in support of it being available to as many people as possible. In fact, this is the sort of game that should probably be available in schools now that it's on PC.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
I really don't think the game is about child abuse, per say. It seems more about alcoholism.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I wanted to play this game since it first came out, and I really liked the demo, but it was on PS3. Now I might actually get to play this thing.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I played the demo and the "puzzles" are some of the worst i´ve seen in this kind of game, i don´t really see any reason to play any more of the game. Good story or not, the gameplay sucks and that´s a deathblow in my eyes,

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
zidine100 said:
weell this is the first time ive heard of this game,

colour me intrigued
im right there with you. it does look really intriguiging
Being shackled as a PS3 exclusive, only available on the PSN with zero to no marketing. It's a shame because the game is good and imaginative, is not great but just for tackling the subject gets extra points, also the presentation is excellent.

The Soundtrack was also confined to the PSN store, again quite sad beacuse the soundtrack is great.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Can't wait to finally add this to my PC catalog.
This was right up there with Journey & Unfinished Swan on my list of exclusives I've wanted to see go multiplatform since I found out about them. Preordering as soon as I get off work