No One Lives Forever Rights Vanish Into The Night

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No One Lives Forever Rights Vanish Into The Night

Ever wondered why this FPS classic never saw a Steam re-release? Its because no one knows who has the rights to it.

Do you remember No One Lives Forever? No? Then shame on you. This quirky little FPS was developed by Monolith, the studio that brought us 2001's Aliens Versus Predator 2 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_versus_Predator_2] (the good one). It starred special agent Cate Archer (a woman as a main protagonist! Scandal!) and had a very cheesy Sean Connery-era James Bond kind of style. It was very well written, with plenty of lowbrow stereotypes combined with a dash of social commentary, and it played pretty well too. So why is it, and its sequel, nowhere to be found? It hasn't seen a Steam re-release, and even Good Old Games doesn't have a listing for it. The reason is because someone lost the rights for it. As in, they can't figure out who actually owns them.

Cate Archer's disappearing act begins when NOLF's original publisher Fox Interactive was bought out by Vivendi Universal back in 2003. Vivendi was Blizzard Entertainment's parent company, which eventually went on to become the Activision Blizzard we all know and love. Logically, the rights to No One Lives Forever should be buried somewhere within the vaults of every other franchise Activision has gobbled up and left for dead. But they aren't. Activision community mastermind Dan Amrich explains:

"The person who I normally talk to about that stuff does not believe that we currently have the rights. They've never seen it. They've never been given the permission to put that stuff on Good Old Games. They basically said, 'If we had it, I would love to have been able to reissue those games.' At this time I do not believe Activision has the rights to No One Lives Forever, so if there were to be a reissue or remake or something like that, it wouldn't come from Activision. I don't know what the future holds for No One Lives forever, but I don't think that that future involves Activision."

Ok, so Activision don't own the rights. Developers Monolith are still alive and kicking, pushing out the wild and wacky Gotham City Imposters early last year. Indeed, No One Lives Forever is listed on their official website [http://www.lith.com/Games/No-One-Lives-Forever]. But it looks like they don't have them either. "I contacted a friend at Monolith, and he doesn't know [who has the rights]," said Amrich.

All of this means that there is no legal way for anyone to obtain these fantastic games anymore, sort of tracking down a boxed copy of the decade-old game. The rights have vanished into the night. I hope they find them soon, because Cate Archer's girl power silliness might be just what the industry needs, in face of all the super serious bromance slugfests going on these days.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/09/no-one-lives-forever-rights-nowhere-to-be-found/#more-148806]

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That's sorta-kinda scary. I mean you'd think it's recorded somewhere right? Perhaps they should offer a reward or something to the one that finds it.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
I'll add "Couldn't be bothered to leave a paper trail" to the list of reasons big publishers are ruining attempts at preserving this medium :\

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
So... If I would, hypothetically speaking, pirate NOLF now, who would I be stealing it away from?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
So, if nobody has the rights, then... uh... where did they vanish to?
Also, interesting to read that Activision (or at least someone there) says "We want another NOLF, but we don't want ourself to make it" - which basically means, they want someone else to make one.

Entitled said:
So... If I would, hypothetically speaking, pirate NOLF now, who would I be stealing it away from?
Apparently nobody.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, it occurs to me that because of the way things are, if nobody's going to protect or claim the right to it, then anybody could do it, right now.

The issue largely lies with the fact that all the legal departments think there's still a possibility that somebody could be just waiting in the shadows and come forward with the papers if somebody else tries to do that.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
I'd say scare up Fox Entertainment.

Their logo is plastered all over the boxes of the games (I checked, got them right here) and both games start with the Fox Interactive logo and tune prior to the intro cinematic.

My guess: The engine the game was made in and the code is owned by Monolith but they can't distribute it because the characters and plot ideas are property of Fox.

And while we're talking about Monolith, let's get some more Blood games out there. Or port the first game into a modern engine. They milked that old Build engine to the max with that thing and it was glorious.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Screw it I'll buy it.

And if I can't buy it I'll find it, myself. Knowing the games industry a marketing guy probably had the paper in their suitcase fairly recently and accidentally thought it was a napkin and threw it in the trash.

yayforgiveaway

Aug 25, 2009
1) Use escapist to publish an article (or rather a series) about an upcoming almost finished mod that uses both the code and IP
2) Wait for someone to send DMCA
3a) You know who has the rights
3b) No one defends the copyright - it's gone

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So big publishers apparantly lose ip rights like I lose pennies down the back of the sofa. Can I claim I own the rights? Steam, gog.com call me, we'll talk. :p

Surely in these situations if no one knows who owns the rights then the rights should revert back ko the original developer (if they're still around). Its sad that games from the past get losed in trademark limbo, leaving piracy one the only methods to play a piece of gaming history.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Copyright law is pretty strict as far as rights are. Check the copyright registry and if nobody has claimed rights then attempt to register rights. If nobody fights the registration who was involved in the original then you now own the rights. But i will have to say it is probably FOX as Vortigar pointed out.

Bashful Reaper

May 7, 2010
Haha, what a mess. I still have a boxed copy of both games. They are indeed very good fun, but the final boss of the first game is made of pure bullshit. I can't remember if I ever bothered finishing it.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Steven Bogos" post="7.405387.16831826 said:
Cate Archer's disappearing act begins when NOLF's original publisher Fox Interactive was bought out by Vivendi Universal back in 2003. Vivendi was in turn owned by Blizzard Entertainment, which eventually went on to become the Activision Blizzard we all know and love.

Err Vivendi Universal is 100% owned by Vivendi, which also owns 61% of Blizzard activision. When Vivendi bought the majority shareholding in Blizzard, as part of the deal, they transferred the game ips that they owned from Vivendi Universal to Blizzard.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sure a classic. but enjoyed part 2 even more. cate doesnt look like an alien as she does in the first game. :p
amazing how this can get lost. such a great game that had a huge success, and they lose the lic. how does this work?

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Metalrocks said:
sure a classic. but enjoyed part 2 even more. cate doesnt look like an alien as she does in the first game. :p
amazing how this can get lost. such a great game that had a huge success, and they lose the lic. how does this work?
Yeah, NOLF2 was one of my favorite FPS' from the early 2000s. What happened to quirky, fun single-player experiences like that?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Kind of sad to hear... loved both games, especially the running joke of H.A.R.M. members trying to figure out what H.A.R.M. stood for, the tricycle chase, and lots of funny convo's between mooks.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010

Woah man, thats one cool looking cat, i'll have to look out for her next time im in town.

Seriously though, this seems like my sort of game, i'll have to pop to CEX and see if they have any in stock.