Rock Band Loses Three Metallica Tracks

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rock Band Loses Three Metallica Tracks

Old, expiring license agreements are beginning to take a toll on the Rock Band music store.

The vagaries of digital licensing agreements are starting to come to the fore in Rock Band, the hit Harmonix music game that ended its DLC updates on April 2 with Don McLean's "American Pie" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122857-American-Pie-Marks-The-End-For-Rock-Band-DLC]. It's been more than five years since the first Rock Band DLC was released, and some of the license agreements that brought all that great music to the game are beginning to expire.

It's a good news/bad news situation, and mostly good news, believe it or not. Harmonix is doing what it to extend the licenses of music used in the game but "select legacy tracks" will eventually not be available for purchase from the Rock Band store. If you've already purchased that music, however, you won't lose it and should (and perhaps there needs to be some emphasis on the word "should") be able to download it again in the future without any trouble.

The actual number of tracks affected by expired agreements will be "very limited," according to a message on the Rock Band Facebook page, and so far only the Metallica Pack 01 from November 2007, which includes "Ride the Lightning," "And Justice For All" and "Blackened" has been lost. The pack has already been pulled from the Rock Band store and will soon be removed from other first-party marketplaces as well.

Harmonix said it should be able to secure license extensions for the "overwhelming majority" of Rock Band music and will let fans know in advance when it's unable to do so, so they have a chance to grab it while it's still available.

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/RockBand/posts/10151666622150209]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Even if Harmonix can't get the licenses back, I'm pretty sure most people who would've wanted these songs would've picked them up in the 5 and a half years they've been available.

And even if not, there are plenty of other possible songs there as well so there's bound to be something else they would like that they can pick up instead.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Harmonix is doing what it to extend the
"What it can do to"?

More on topic. I never actually considered that they would expire, not that it effects me anyway (was never into the whole flood of them games).

Could be a "look what I got" in a few decades time, if they aren't able to renew all of them.

Aren't metallica sticklers for licenses?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
omega 616 said:
"What it can do to"?

More on topic. I never actually considered that they would expire, not that it effects me anyway (was never into the whole flood of them games).

Could be a "look what I got" in a few decades time, if they aren't able to renew all of them.

What can Harmonix do? Simple pay more money. They only bought 5 year licences anyway, they could have bought much longer ones if they wanted.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
albino boo said:
omega 616 said:
"What it can do to"?

What can Harmonix do? Simple pay more money. They only bought 5 year licences anyway, they could have bought much longer ones if they wanted.
What?

I know they could have done exactly that.

I think Andy made a mistake, if that is what you are talking about. If not, I have no idea ... I'm so confused.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
omega 616 said:
What?

I know they could have done exactly that.

I think Andy made a mistake, if that is what you are talking about. If not, I have no idea ... I'm so confused.
Look they would gone to Metallica's management and offered a price for the renewal of the license and that wasn't high enough. Rather than offering more money they walked away. If they wanted it they could have upped their offer but Harmonix chose not to.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
FogHornG36 said:
I love Metallica, but they sure can be greedy assholes.
... wait, what? Harmonix bought a five-year license to use their songs, the license now expired, so they're pulling the songs from the store. And that makes Metallica "greedy assholes"... how?

Or are you just going on a tangent to revive the 12-year old Napster thing?

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
RyQ_TMC said:
FogHornG36 said:
I love Metallica, but they sure can be greedy assholes.
... wait, what? Harmonix bought a five-year license to use their songs, the license now expired, so they're pulling the songs from the store. And that makes Metallica "greedy assholes"... how?

Or are you just going on a tangent to revive the 12-year old Napster thing?
oh ya... no we should just forget... not just that, im still pissed that i didn't get enter the sandman when i transfered rockband one's songs to rockband 2-3

But yes it does all come down to, Metallica wanting more money.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Metallica are well known for being greedy bastards, I'm surprised that some are attempting to defend them. Considering all the other licenses have been renewed, it should be very telling.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I think we're overstating Metallica's "greed" here. The licensing fees might be higher than most other songs, but they're also a more popular band than most others featured. And since Rock Band is riding into the sunset, Harmonix probably needs to start cutting back on how much it's spending on licensing fees.

These three Metallica songs aren't going to be the only tracks they lose. Not by a long shot.