Capcom Killed Gritty Mega Man FPS

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Capcom Killed Gritty Mega Man FPS

Armature Studios produced a prototype for Maverick Hunter, a first-person shooter based on the Mega Man X series.

The past few years haven't been too kind to poor old Mega Man. Despite affirmations from Capcom that the franchise is still a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114656-Capcom-Mega-Man-Is-A-Key-Brand>key part of the company's library, there's been more bad news than good for the Blue Bomber. If the 2010 departure of series-creator Keiji Inafune from Capcom wasn't enough, the publisher infamously cancelled several in-development and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111745-Capcom-Kills-Mega-Man-Legends-3>anticipated Mega Man titles. Just recently, Mega Man Online
<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122706-Capcom-Ceases-Development-On-Mega-Man-Online>joined this sad list, and now, another unfinished project has been revealed to give fans even more to be disappointed about.

In 2010, Armature Studios began working on Maverick Hunter, a first-person shooter in the vein of Metroid Prime and based on the Mega Man X series. In addition to adapting franchise mainstays like platforming, weapon-stealing and, of course, Mega Man's trademark arm cannon, Armature had big plans for the story of Maverick Hunter.

According to sources familiar with the project, Maverick Hunter would "be like taking an 8-bit game that doesn't have a very deep story to it, and then building around it and keeping some of the key pieces intact." Focusing on the theme of man versus machine, the developer had been in preparation to produce a trilogy in which X, the returning protagonist of Mega Man X, eventually becomes jaded from fighting robots like himself and turns on his creators. The third game in the trilogy would have gamers playing as Zero, another returning character, trying to stop X.

Sadly, Maverick Hunter didn't make it very far. A playable prototype was produced, but the game was cancelled by Capcom a mere six months into its development. Learning about this now, it's painful to think how excellent this could have been had Capcom continued with it. While some might not have liked seeing Mega Man walk down such a different path, it might have been just the shake-up the franchise needs.

Source: Polygon

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
This... might have been for the best.

I saw this on Destructoid and it looked like my ass. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a Metroid Prime style MMX but the way it was presented with the story and such it didn't sit right with me.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I...I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...

...atleast Capcom had the decency to cancel this...

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
This is a meh kinda news. The bad news pretty much completely counters the good news.

The bad news is that some big company squashed a little one over intellectual property they aren't using.
The good news is ANOTHER GOD DAMM FPS REBOOT of a nostalgic series just got aborted, good riddance.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
So Capcom is apparently getting the brain that the other game developers have been playing 'keep away' with.

Coming to think of it, a Mega-Man RPG would be freaking epic, a pokemon-esque one, where your Navi gains the levels and the equipment....

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
A 3rd-person, over-the-shoulder-style of shooter makes more sense for Mega Man than 1st-person, in my opinion. And not like Gears of War, mind you, but something similar to Vanquish, what with the turbo-sliding and stuff.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Megaman X as an FPS because, you know, X7 was such a breakout hit... let's take that pile of crap and make it shittier because that's what people want. Yeah... I'm actually OK with this not happening. Good for you, Capcom, now get back to work on Megaman Legends 3 or a true successor to the Classic and X series (that isn't retarded).

Yes. I'm saying that if you think you liked the ".exe" series, including its own spinoff "Star Force", you are wrong and you should feel bad.

On the other hand, the "+10 to awesome" folks over at Rooster Teeth had an interesting idea on somewhere to take the X series:
What do you think? an "old-school Capcom"-style melee brawler set in the X universe? sounds badass to me.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
It'd be extremely weird to play, I think. Besides, I somewhat get the vibe that it would've been a little like Painkiller but with platforming sections. Something that does more harm than good in my opinion.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:
I...I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...

...atleast Capcom had the decency to cancel this...
^Lmao that is great.

OT: Yeah that would be like a game where Mario turns evil after stomping all the goombas for years. People would not want to play it or even like it. Besides X was made by Dr light.... Who is dead in the series.... How do you rebel against a dead man?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
VoidWanderer said:
So Capcom is apparently getting the brain that the other game developers have been playing 'keep away' with.

Coming to think of it, a Mega-Man RPG would be freaking epic, a pokemon-esque one, where your Navi gains the levels and the equipment....
Wasn't there a one for the PS3 with Megaman X? Squad command or something?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
This doesn't surprise me as much as it should. The talent involved took Metroid (my other favorite side-scrolling classic) and made a brilliant first person series out of it.
This might not have been terrible (or it could have been a disaster in the vein as Team Ninja + Metroid).

Eh...nobody else really cares about that series anymore anyway.
Besides, this summer looks pretty promising already for somewhat similar games (indie games).

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Of all Capcom's past decisions, this is the first one in quite some time that has me agreeing with it wholeheartedly.
Good on ya, Capcom, for nipping this one in the bud.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I have never played a Mega-Man game, yet I can say this is proberly for the best. I can't take another solid year of people bitching about a beloved francise run through the FPS ringer... ALTHOUGH, I loved Fallout 3 so, I dunno, maybe it could have been good... proberly not though.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
VoidWanderer said:

Yeah, there was a game exactly like that. It was called Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I kid, I kid.
saintdane05 said:
Wasn't there a one for the PS3 with Megaman X? Squad command or something?
Megaman X: Command Mission on PS2. It was ok... could have been better, but it could have been a LOT worse. Command Mission could do with a new "in the style of" version/game, just like the rest of the X series.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah... kinda glad they dropped it, the chances that it would be X's shining light for the future were rather slim.

I'd rather play this thing. http://www.dorkly.com/video/3989/8-bit-megaman-death-match

I wish I could imbed this vid...