Injustice Demo Includes Hidden Street Fighter-style Controls

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Injustice Demo Includes Hidden Street Fighter-style Controls

The PS3 demo for Injustice: Gods Among Us seemingly lacks the full game's "Street Fighter-style" controls, but they can be enabled with this simple trick.

It's anathema to many fighting game purists to complain about any given game's control scheme. Argue over arcade sticks versus gamepads all you'd like, but as far as a title's actual commands, you're generally expected to work with whatever the developers had in mind. That said, the half- and quarter-circle motions found in Capcom's Street Fighter games are undeniably the most familiar fighting game control system and realizing this NetherRealm Studios included optional "Street Fighter-style" controls and button configurations in its upcoming DC Comics superhero fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us. That's very generous of the firm, but those of you who've been playing the title's demo may be disappointed to find that the abridged version of the game doesn't include this option.

At least, that's how it initially seems.

A group of devoted Injustice fans, saddened by the feature's removal, have done a bit of digging into the PlayStation 3 iteration of the demo and discovered that by accessing a hidden options menu players can enable the "Street Fighter-style" controls for the trial game. Sadly, there's currently no similar fix for the Xbox 360 demo.

So how do you do it? Simple: Access the game's character select screen, then open the options menu. Once there, select "BUG_ME" and you'll be presented with an invisible menu that includes obscured control options. We'll let the Injustice fans take it from here:

After pressing the BUG_ME option, without moving up or down, the first option is the numbered preset change. You can go left or right, after you save the BUG ME number will change from 1 to 4.

The second option going down is the LIGHT button.

The third option is the HARD button.

The fourth option is the INTERACT button.

The fifth option is the FLIP STANCE button.

The sixth option opens a menu (?), which I haven't fully understand yet.

The seventh option is a left or right type of option, selecting from the MK or Capcom inputs.

The eight option is the SAVE PRESET button.

The ninth option opens another menu(?).

As you can see the people who discovered this trick haven't entirely figured out every aspect of the BUG_ME menu, but toggling that aforementioned seventh option will change the controls and button layout in Injustice from its default Mortal Kombat-esque scheme to a control system more familiar to Capcom fans. From there you can view the changes in each character's move list. This may take some getting used to, but if you prefer Shoryuken inputs to NetherRealm's traditional back-forward-back-whatever special move commands, this may help you better enjoy punching Batman in the jaw.

Of course, with Injustice: Gods Among Us hitting shelves on April 16, you could simply wait a week, buy the full version of the game, and switch the control scheme properly, but that lacks the clever light hacking of mucking around in a menu screen that you weren't meant to see. Where's the fun in that?

Source: Injustice Society [http://injusticesociety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=230]

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I still think it's pretty cool that Netherrealms is even including the option of switching between these control schemes.

I normally don't have a problem with NTS move inputs. But seeing as how I'm getting the Battle Edition of this game, it might be more ideal to suit the arcade stick.

Also, in case there's anyone here besides me who is interested in this game. The final 2 characters have been formally revealed.

Ares, and Killer Frost.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is awesome. I'm hoping that switching the control scheme will make the game feel a little less rigid in terms of combat. Love the demo, played the living hell out of it and I can't wait for the game to come out. Though, AngryJoe has some valid complaints. I hope that each match winner doesn't say the exact same thing each time like in the demo or when they match starts having identical entries. That will get old really fast as you will see these things constantly.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Baresark said:
That is awesome. I'm hoping that switching the control scheme will make the game feel a little less rigid in terms of combat. Love the demo, played the living hell out of it and I can't wait for the game to come out. Though, AngryJoe has some valid complaints. I hope that each match winner doesn't say the exact same thing each time like in the demo or when they match starts having identical entries. That will get old really fast as you will see these things constantly.
I'm not sure where I've heard this, but I believe that characters have different intro/outros based on which costume they are wearing. (You can already see some different ones in the battle arena videos, so there will definitely be a variety of them.)

There will also be accurate banter between characters during wager clashes, and I think during their intro/outros as well.

You can see an example of it in the latest story trailer for Green Lantern.

According to NTS, there's "thousands" of different banter combinations.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Tohuvabohu said:
Baresark said:
I'm not sure where I've heard this, but I believe that characters have different intro/outros based on which costume they are wearing. (You can already see some different ones in the battle arena videos, so there will definitely be a variety of them.)

There will also be accurate banter between characters during wager clashes, and I think during their intro/outros as well.

You can see an example of it in the latest story trailer for Green Lantern.

According to NTS, there's "thousands" of different banter combinations.
Awesome. Thanks for the information. Nothing was really going to keep from this game, it seems like they are offering up so much besides that stuff as well as a compelling story and good combat.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
More options are always cool, but i´m not sure it´s gonna save the game for me, i really hated the demo. Though i mostly hated it due to poor controls and bad feel (and terrible artstyle, but to each his own...), so atleast one of those things will be fixed with this option^^.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Wait, why would there be "Street Fighter" -style controls for a game made by the same folks who gave us Mortal Kombat? I thought they were two different animals.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Tohuvabohu said:
I think it's great to have the option, I actually find the control scheme they have gone with to be quite good to me.

Gah, I have been trying to avoid character reveals >_< I like some surprises in my games... That said, they look awesome, since they have added Killer Frost, I hope we get Firestorm at some point.

Baresark said:
I'm real pleased with what I have been hearing, the amount of extras etc. MK9/Mortal Kombat was awesome, the mount of kontent, modes etc was well done and I have been expecting it for this game too. Looks like I will not be let down.